Man and the Echo - W.B. Yeats, English Lit exam

Watch
Emalia shaw
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
'Discuss how Yeats attempts to make sense of human experiences in The Man and The Echo'

Firstly how did it go for all?

What did you guys discuss and what poems did you compare?

My discussion was based on the idea how human nature cannot make sense of experience (this is reinforced by the atmosphere created through the poem: Language/imagery and form). Yeats simply cannot find answers, but is questioning answers. Only leading to more questions.

The stone imagery is rather significant in this poem. A stone remains the same and doesn't change what is past, passing or to come. I linked this with Easter 1916 - the stone imagery in the same context. Also how it left the revolutionaries soulless (horror of physical love: Maud Gonne) they have lost the true purpose of human experience, they have abandoned this and thus have come to face the consequences. As well as linking this to politics (In Memory of...) discussing how politics damages human experience, especially appearance 'skeleton-gaunt' etc. I also linked Man and the Echo with The Cat and the Moon/Sailing to Byzantium. Etc...
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Emalia shaw)
'Discuss how Yeats attempts to make sense of human experiences in The Man and The Echo'

Firstly how did it go for all?

What did you guys discuss and what poems did you compare?

My discussion was based on the idea how human nature cannot make sense of experience (this is reinforced by the atmosphere created through the poem: Language/imagery and form). Yeats simply cannot find answers, but is questioning answers. Only leading to more questions.

The stone imagery is rather significant in this poem. A stone remains the same and doesn't change what is past, passing or to come. I linked this with Easter 1916 - the stone imagery in the same context. Also how it left the revolutionaries soulless (horror of physical love: Maud Gonne) they have lost the true purpose of human experience, they have abandoned this and thus have come to face the consequences. As well as linking this to politics (In Memory of...) discussing how politics damages human experience, especially appearance 'skeleton-gaunt' etc. I also linked Man and the Echo with The Cat and the Moon/Sailing to Byzantium. Etc...
Heya, I'm just going to move this into the English forum for you as you should get more responses there.

It seems like you had some really good ideas.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (94)
13.78%
I'm not sure (32)
4.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.38%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.35%
I'm not a current university student (326)
47.8%

Watched Threads