The Student Room Group

AS Level AQA Biology Unit 1 Help

Hi,

I am a Professional Biology Tutor.

I have attached a set of common questions and model answers for AQA Biology Unit 1.

If you have any questions or anything you are stuck on, just reply to this group or pm me.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thanks! :smile:
Reply 2
any questions or topics you're unsure about?
Reply 3
Do you think i can achieve a minimum of a C with one days revision?
Reply 4
do you think the last two mark questions will be on the heart
Reply 5
thats its own predictive work - what id recommend is using the set of model answers ive given you and reading over key topics (carbohydrate digestion, test for carbohydrates, enzymes, cell fractionation, indirect AT of glucose, cholera, lung + lung diseases, heart + heart disease, immunity)

i know it seems like everything but i can quickly summarise the most important parts + use the model answers attachment
Reply 6
Original post by oak12
Hi,

I am a Professional Biology Tutor.

I have attached a set of common questions and model answers for AQA Biology Unit 1.

If you have any questions or anything you are stuck on, just reply to this group or pm me.

I got 40/50 in the ISA and need an A overall, what grades do i need to get the get the A in unit 1 and 2?
Reply 7
carbohydrate digestion:

1. STARCH, by salivary amylase in the mouth and pancreatic amylase in the small intestine into Maltose. Maltose by Maltase on lining of SI into glucose

2. SUCROSE, by sucrase on lining of SI

3. LACTOSE, by lactase on lining of SI. lactose intolerance = lack lactase enzyme, therefore have diarrhoea and flatulence. diarhoeaa = undigested lactose lowers WP of lumen of SI, water enters lumen by osmosis - water faeces. flatulence = undigested lactose enters LI - brokendown by microorganisms, releasing gas
Reply 8
When they ask about antibody/enzymes being specific, what sort of question would you need to mention the primary structure?
I usually talk about tertiary structure determining shape etc etc but then some mark schemes talk about the primary structure as well so I'm not really sure when to mention it :/
Reply 9
you can use both (the mark scheme give more answers then required) - its safe to talk about a specific tertiary structure leading to a specific 3d shape, either giving a specific active site shape or specific antigen binding site
Original post by ARSHKFW
Do you think i can achieve a minimum of a C with one days revision?
??
Reply 11
Original post by oak12
you can use both (the mark scheme give more answers then required) - its safe to talk about a specific tertiary structure leading to a specific 3d shape, either giving a specific active site shape or specific antigen binding site

Thank you!
Also how would you explain protein digestion?
Reply 12
Test for Carbohydrates:

1. STARCH, add iodine - turns blue/black

2. REDUCING SUGAR, heat with benedicts - turns brick red

3. NON-REDUCING SUGAR, heat with benedicts - no change (stays blue), add dilute hydrochloric acid then add sodium hydrogencarbonate, heat with benedicts - turns brick red
Reply 13
learn the model answers and key topics, then maybe + do at least 5 past papers with the mark schemes
Reply 14
thanks nice notes
Reply 15
Original post by skizzle
Thank you!
Also how would you explain protein digestion?

not much to do with this: protease in stomach and small intestine (this version made in pancreas) - hydrolysis, adding water, breaks peptide bonds, producing many AAs
Reply 16
quick summary on b/t cells / immunity?
Reply 17
Original post by ARSHKFW
??

learn the model answers and key topics, then maybe + do at least 5 past papers with the mark schemes
Reply 18
Original post by jaszs
quick summary on b/t cells / immunity?

- phagocytes stimulate t cells
- t cells form t helper and t memory cells
- t helper cells stimulate b cells
- b cells form plasma and b memory cells
- plasma cells make antibodies
Reply 19
ty same for phospholipid bilayer to please

Quick Reply

Latest