The Student Room Group

I'll shoot in the dark and say it is 6 since the parabola is symmetrical about the x axis and so you half 12 to get the appropriate y coordinate.

Edit: mark scheme fully agrees with my answer.
(edited 9 years ago)

You've not asked a question... I'm assuming you need help with Question 5.a. I'll give you a hint. The fact that the parabola is symmetrical around the x axis should be helpful.
Reply 3
Original post by Chlorophile
You've not asked a question... I'm assuming you need help with Question 5.a. I'll give you a hint. The fact that the parabola is symmetrical around the x axis should be helpful.

I know the parabola is symetrical about the x axis but what i dont get is what the distance pq has got to do with the y coordinate of p.
Original post by Nataniel95
I know the parabola is symetrical about the x axis but what i dont get is what the distance pq has got to do with the y coordinate of p.

Because the x axis bisects the line PQ.
Reply 5

Never mind just had brain explosion :biggrin:. I feel a bit stupid for someone who got an A in A level maths. Thanks for your help though.
Reply 6
Never mind just had brain explosion :biggrin:. I feel a bit stupid for someone who got an A in A level maths. Thanks for your help though.

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest