Sycopation
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Is it an organelle? Also, does it take up stain and can it be identified on a electron or light microscope
MonkeyMadness
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The cytoplasm is not an organelle, it is the substance that surrounds the organelles within a cell.
Also the cytoplasm can be seen from under both a light and a electron microscope.

(I am unsure about the next point) but I think that the cytoplasm does not need a dye/stain to be seen but that it can bee stained and still seen under a microscope.

Hope this helps and again I would double check the last one.
Dynamo123
  • Study Helper
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Sycopation)
Is it an organelle? Also, does it take up stain and can it be identified on a electron or light microscope
Technically, an organelle is any membrane bounded structure, whether single or double membrane-bound, inside a cell, that performs a specific function for the cell. Cytoplasm, by this definition, is not an organelle. It can be best defined as a sustaining matrix composed of gel-like and soluble parts that provides a sort of a basic bed for the cytoskeleton to make up the cellular framework. Basically that amounts to it being the watery content--not only water, though--inside the cell that surrounds all the cellular organelles.

The cytoplasm can be viewed under both types of microscope. When we stain a cell, the cytoplasm may take up, or may not take up the stain, depending on the proportions of the various molecules and organelles in it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
17.32%
I'm not sure (3)
2.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (41)
32.28%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.36%
I'm not a current university student (58)
45.67%

Watched Threads