Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it an organelle? Also, does it take up stain and can it be identified on a electron or light microscope

ReputationRep:
    The cytoplasm is not an organelle, it is the substance that surrounds the organelles within a cell.
    Also the cytoplasm can be seen from under both a light and a electron microscope.

(I am unsure about the next point) but I think that the cytoplasm does not need a dye/stain to be seen but that it can bee stained and still seen under a microscope.

Hope this helps and again I would double check the last one.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Sycopation)
    Is it an organelle? Also, does it take up stain and can it be identified on a electron or light microscope
    Technically, an organelle is any membrane bounded structure, whether single or double membrane-bound, inside a cell, that performs a specific function for the cell. Cytoplasm, by this definition, is not an organelle. It can be best defined as a sustaining matrix composed of gel-like and soluble parts that provides a sort of a basic bed for the cytoskeleton to make up the cellular framework. Basically that amounts to it being the watery content--not only water, though--inside the cell that surrounds all the cellular organelles.

The cytoplasm can be viewed under both types of microscope. When we stain a cell, the cytoplasm may take up, or may not take up the stain, depending on the proportions of the various molecules and organelles in it.

University open days

• University of Chichester
    Multiple Departments Undergraduate
    Thu, 25 Oct '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 26 Oct '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.