Do unis fiddle exam results?

Watch
anouno
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
One of my exams this year was far harder than any of the past papers. Everyone who sat it agreed.

So with this years average for that module being a lot lower is it likely that they'll fiddle the scores or could a large portion fail and no firsts/2.1s (ofc they'll probably be one or two).

It seems very unfair that if I was a year older I'd have done much better in that module.
SpicyStrawberry
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They will take difficulty into account and adjust accordingly. It looks bad on the lecturers if their whole class is failing when they are doing well in everything else, so they will be fair when marking. It depends on your uni's policy but it is commonplace for all exams and coursework to be second marked by another lecturer and a cross-section to be taken to an external examiner to ensure work is being consistently marked.
Slowbro93
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by anouno)
One of my exams this year was far harder than any of the past papers. Everyone who sat it agreed.

So with this years average for that module being a lot lower is it likely that they'll fiddle the scores or could a large portion fail and no firsts/2.1s (ofc they'll probably be one or two).

It seems very unfair that if I was a year older I'd have done much better in that module.
I feel this is down to the university and the department themselves. In my department, they tend to fiddle with the grades for borderline cases however they have other ways of "standardising". In other unis they rank everyone's score and standardise. It all really depends imo
alibee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's pretty normal to scale module marks if the whole class has done particularly well or poorly.

However, the university need to demonstrate consistent standards to the external examiner. So basically if for some reason you all did badly even though the exam wasn't particularly hard, they couldn't really adjust the mark.

If you've all done as badly as you fear, they will probably scale your marks if they think the exam was harder than normal. This marks review will be part of the standard marking process and you won't have to appeal or anything.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (256)
33.82%
No (501)
66.18%

Watched Threads