The Student Room Group

Should I get a car when 17?

Wondering if I should,I could build up some experience and have a bit of freedom ,hate walking or using the bus. When did you pass your test and start driving?
Can you afford it (I don't just mean the physical car, I mean the lessons, test, insurance, etc)? If not, no.
I started lessons last year at 21 and am taking my test next Tuesday (turned 22 today). I made the choice of taking lessons later in life because I can afford to do so now out of my own pocket, bought my own car at the beginning of the month and have money for insurance too.
19 and still don't have a drivers license lel. Was too lazy to get one at 17. Gonna have to get one soon or my insurance will be beastly when I actually need a car.

Get one as early as possible tbh so you can build up no claims on your insurance.
Original post by AmbaLaBamba
I started lessons last year at 21 and am taking my test next Tuesday (turned 22 today). I made the choice of taking lessons later in life because I can afford to do so now out of my own pocket, bought my own car at the beginning of the month and have money for insurance too.

Happy birthday! :smile:
Original post by ChickenMadness
19 and still don't have a drivers license lel. Was too lazy to get one at 17. Gonna have to get one soon or my insurance will be beastly when I actually need a car.

Get one as early as possible tbh so you can build up no claims on your insurance.

Building up no claims is useless if you're going to get a license, wait for 3-4 years before you can afford to drive, forget everything you learned because you haven't driven since test day and then crash in the first week of driving with your great new insurance quote...
Original post by GoingToBurst
Happy birthday! :smile:

Building up no claims is useless if you're going to get a license, wait for 3-4 years before you can afford to drive, forget everything you learned because you haven't driven since test day and then crash in the first week of driving with your great new insurance quote...

Well you can either, take a few more driving lessons before you drive your new car Or get a friend/parent/sibling to give you a lesson and remind you.
Well you can either, take a few more driving lessons before you drive your new car Or get a friend/parent/sibling to give you a lesson and remind you.

Not everyone does that though. Many people are in the mindset that they have a license and therefore will still be able to drive safely. I really wish there was some way of ensuring that new drivers weren't taking years off of driving and then jumping back into it like nothing.
Either that, or you should have to re-sit a shorter test at the end of the 2 year probationary period to ensure that you are a safe and competent driver. That would at least stop people from being able to take their test and not drive again for a few years. (I'm not having a rant at you btw, I just know a few people who did this and ended up crashing because they weren't cautious enough to take a refresher course or consider the fact that they hadn't driven in years and should probably be extra careful)
Not everyone does that though. Many people are in the mindset that they have a license and therefore will still be able to drive safely. I really wish there was some way of ensuring that new drivers weren't taking years off of driving and then jumping back into it like nothing.
Either that, or you should have to re-sit a shorter test at the end of the 2 year probationary period to ensure that you are a safe and competent driver. That would at least stop people from being able to take their test and not drive again for a few years. (I'm not having a rant at you btw, I just know a few people who did this and ended up crashing because they weren't cautious enough to take a refresher course or consider the fact that they hadn't driven in years and should probably be extra careful)

I actually know someone who did that as well and wrecked their car lol.

It's the cheapest option though if you don't crash.
I actually know someone who did that as well and wrecked their car lol.

It's the cheapest option though if you don't crash.

Not necessarily though! I'm 21 and I'm taking my test tomorrow. I pick up my car a week on friday.
It's a 14 plate ford fiesta zetec and I've been quoted £472 a year, fully comp, if I insure the car with my full license (assuming I pass tomorrow) and it's only like £20 higher than that if I'm insuring it as a provisional license holder.
The car is registered to me and the insurance policy is in my name, not hiding behind my parents.
Not necessarily though! I'm 21 and I'm taking my test tomorrow. I pick up my car a week on friday.
It's a 14 plate ford fiesta zetec and I've been quoted £472 a year, fully comp, if I insure the car with my full license (assuming I pass tomorrow) and it's only like £20 higher than that if I'm insuring it as a provisional license holder.
The car is registered to me and the insurance policy is in my name, not hiding behind my parents.

you're female though. You automatically have cheap insurance so it doesn't matter much for you lol.
you're female though. You automatically have cheap insurance so it doesn't matter much for you lol.

They can't offer me cheap insurance based on my gender anymore.
http://www.confused.com/eu-gender-directive

£472? Thats cheap lol how much is your excess?
Good luck with your test :smile:
Original post by Joeey009
£472? Thats cheap lol how much is your excess?
Good luck with your test :smile:

Excess is £450. I was amazed at the quote too haha, I expected to be paying at least £1000 more than that!
Thank you! Passed first time with 4 minors, so I'm pretty chuffed :biggrin:.
If you can afford it, sure.

I bought my car when I was 16 (it was a good deal, didn't want to pass it up for the sake of a month or two) and started driving it on my 17th birthday. My dad taught me how to drive, I passed my test in my own car, etc.

I know my insurance has gone down from £900 to just over £400, but I'm not sure if that's to do with my two years no claims (soon to be three, yay) or the fact I'm now 19 and not 17.

Either way, I've found owning my own car since 17 to be nothing but a pleasure. If not a somewhat expensive one.

Edit; the only downside is that my car insurance renewal is due on my birthday. What a great present to myself.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TattyBoJangles
If you can afford it, sure.

I bought my car when I was 16 (it was a good deal, didn't want to pass it up for the sake of a month or two) and started driving it on my 17th birthday. My dad taught me how to drive, I passed my test in my own car, etc.

I know my insurance has gone down from £900 to just over £400, but I'm not sure if that's to do with my two years no claims (soon to be three, yay) or the fact I'm now 19 and not 17.

Either way, I've found owning my own car since 17 to be nothing but a pleasure. If not a somewhat expensive one.

Edit; the only downside is that my car insurance renewal is due on my birthday. What a great present to myself.

Thanks everyone, BTW what car do you have as the insurance is pretty good for a 17 year old! I getting quotes of £2300 to insure a corsa 1.4, have tried 1.0 corsa and 1.1 206 peugeot but get even higher for some odd reason. :smile:
Original post by thuvcasio
Thanks everyone, BTW what car do you have as the insurance is pretty good for a 17 year old! I getting quotes of £2300 to insure a corsa 1.4, have tried 1.0 corsa and 1.1 206 peugeot but get even higher for some odd reason. :smile:

I have a 1.0L Yaris.

Bear in mind my £900 figure could have been before the evening out of insurance prices for male and female drivers (it'll be almost three years ago now). I know it wasn't unusual then for guys to be charged over £2000 and girls pretty much half that.

It also depends on where you live, where you'll keep the car etc.
My renewal price last year was about £600 until I told them I was moving to uni - my new address bumped the price down by over £150.

Funnily enough, sometimes it's the newer, higher-powered cars that cost less insurance-wise. Probably something about the sort of cars boy racer types tend to drive (around my area it was always Citroen Saxos and Vauxhall Corsas).
Anyone know any companies that do cheap provisional insurance ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending