Acid + Base > Salt (solid or aqueous?) + Water Watch

jo7777
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I've just been doing a question and im a little confused.
I always assumed that in a neutralisation reaction acid + base makes a salt, and this salt is a solid.
However, I just read that HNO3 (AQ) + Ca(OH)2 (AQ) > Ca(NO3)2 (AQ) + H2O (L)
So are salts always aqueous or can they sometimes be solid?
lerjj
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jo7777)
I've just been doing a question and im a little confused.
I always assumed that in a neutralisation reaction acid + base makes a salt, and this salt is a solid.
However, I just read that HNO3 (AQ) + Ca(OH)2 (AQ) > Ca(NO3)2 (AQ) + H2O (L)
So are salts always aqueous or can they sometimes be solid?
Depends whether they are soluble or not. Soluble salts will be in solution, insoluble will obv not be. I don't 100% trust your equation because I thought that Calcium Hydroxide was insoluble in water- hence the insoluble white precipitate when mixed with NaOH.

But for a correct (I think) example:
 \text{HCl}_{(aq)} + \text{NaOH}_{(aq)} \rightarrow \text{NaCl}_{(aq)} + \text{H}_2 \text{O}_{(l)}
jo7777
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by lerjj)
Depends whether they are soluble or not. Soluble salts will be in solution, insoluble will obv not be. I don't 100% trust your equation because I thought that Calcium Hydroxide was insoluble in water- hence the insoluble white precipitate when mixed with NaOH.

But for a correct (I think) example:
 \text{HCl}_{(aq)} + \text{NaOH}_{(aq)} \rightarrow \text{NaCl}_{(aq)} + \text{H}_2 \text{O}_{(l)}
So If I'm in an exam, how would I know whether or not it's a solid or aqueous salt? This is for AS chem btw
Is it safe to say I can assume it's aqueous?
lerjj
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jo7777)
So If I'm in an exam, how would I know whether or not it's a solid or aqueous salt? This is for AS chem btw
I do GCSE, so I'm not expected to know how to work this out. I think there are rules of thumb- most sodium compounds are soluble, most hydroxides are soluble, a decent number of calcium ones are insoluble.

From a physics standpoint, if you were provided with the enthalpy and energy changes then you could work it out I suppose.

You probably just have to learn them, but I'll ask my sister (she does A2 so she ought to be able to help...)
Borek
  • Study Helper
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't know what is in which syllabus, but there is a set of rules of thumb, so called "solubility rules" (google them) which help remember which salts are soluble and which are not.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (61)
8.64%
I used to but I don't now (17)
2.41%
No, but I want to start (266)
37.68%
No, I am unable to (167)
23.65%
No, I chose not to (195)
27.62%