PM ‘undermined Christianity’, marriage poll reveals

Watch
navarre
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
http://www.christian.org.uk/news/pm-...-poll-reveals/
One in three voters believes that David Cameron has undermined Christianity in this country and 50 per cent think that marriage should be defined as an “exclusive commitment” between a man and a woman, a new poll has shown.

The ComRes poll comes ahead of the local and European Parliament elections this week.

Colin Hart, director of The Christian Institute, which commissioned the poll, said Christians had been “marginalised” and the poll should act as a “wake-up call” to Mr Cameron.

Religious freedom

When it comes to religious freedom in Britain, fewer than one in five believe that Cameron has improved it.

The ComRes survey of over 2,000 people also found that over four in ten agree that the Church of England will be forced to conduct same-sex marriages “irrespective” of what the views of individual church ministers are.

More people agreed than disagreed that same-sex marriage is different to traditional marriage.
I'm genuinely shocked that so many people in this country are against gay marriage. I would've thought those opposing it would have been lower.

I'm proud that Christians, as usual, have advanced rights and equality in the footsteps of our Lord, Jesus Christ. I'm proud that a Christian prime minister leading an overwhelmingly Christian government has passed laws enabling gay people to get married. Yet, I'm also kind of shocked that so many Christians are against gay marriage. It is against the spirit of what Jesus taught us.
xMr_BrightSide
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
They just need to redefine marriage to accommodate same-sex couples. Many of the objections to the idea stem from the definition of marriage being incompatible with lesbians/gays, not any inherent discrimination.

And I'm not sure about your Christian spiel at the end. Same sex marriage is a case of simple equality, don't make it out to be some Christian run campaign.
Jacob-C
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Marriage doesn't belong to a religion it belongs to everyone, and everyone should have the right to have the state formally recognise their love for their partner.
anarchism101
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Polls on this change hugely depending on how you ask the question.
yo radical one
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jacob-C)
Marriage doesn't belong to a religion it belongs to everyone, and everyone should have the right to have the state formally recognise their love for their partner.
Should the state even recognise the institution of marriage?
Kinkerz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by navarre)

I'm genuinely shocked that so many people in this country are against gay marriage. I would've thought those opposing it would have been lower.

I'm proud that Christians, as usual, have advanced rights and equality in the footsteps of our Lord, Jesus Christ. I'm proud that a Christian prime minister leading an overwhelmingly Christian government has passed laws enabling gay people to get married. Yet, I'm also kind of shocked that so many Christians are against gay marriage. It is against the spirit of what Jesus taught us.
Frightening phrase.
The_Duck
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You're using a single article from a place called christian.org to back this up.
I wouldn't worry about their results.
Jacob-C
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by yo radical one)
Should the state even recognise the institution of marriage?
It already does.
anarchism101
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It already does.
And I think he's proposing that it should stop doing so.
Jacob-C
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by anarchism101)
And I think he's proposing that it should stop doing so.
Perhaps the French model would be more appropriate for a secular British society where you have the a civil ceremony which is performed by a qualified official and then the option to have a religious ceremony after that, if the couple wish.
thunder_chunky
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by navarre)

I'm genuinely shocked that so many people in this country are against gay marriage.
Hardly shocking considering the source that you provided.

(Original post by anarchism101)
Polls on this change hugely depending on how you ask the question.
Agree on both of the above quotes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (110)
13.75%
I'm not sure (36)
4.5%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (242)
30.25%
I have already dropped out (20)
2.5%
I'm not a current university student (392)
49%

Watched Threads