The Student Room Group

"Croydon is unsafe and a dump" - UKIP's Croydon council candidate

So UKIP has had a bit of a nightmare today.

They were due to hold a musical carnival in Croydon, which went awry when:

A) some angry people turned up and protested against UKIP; and
B) the steel band hired for the event packed up and left upon finding out they had been hired by UKIP

Farage decided to give it a miss and the party's candidate, who was probably a bit annoyed, declared the entire town 'unsafe' and 'a dump'.

Here's a link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27492711

In other news, did anyone see Farage getting a telling off from Paxman last night?

Farage took out a large ad in a paper yesterday to try and convince people that he didn't have a problem with Romanians. In a surprise move, Farage tried to do this by telling a lie and blaming Romanians for 7% of all Europe's crime.

Here's Farage's interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0AGUooNdPk

I would also encourage people to look at the whole episode - it had some interesting discussions concerning the EU.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
All this UKIP-bashing is getting boring, I'm not voting for them personally, but the media are really going over the top in reporting every time they set a wrong foot, no matter how small :confused:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tappouni
All this UKIP-bashing is getting boring, I'm not voting for them personally, but the media are really going over the top in reporting every time they set a wrong foot, no matter how small :confused:

Agreed. But then again, news has been very slow.

I hope we'll have more things to talk about once then European Election results come in.
Original post by InnerTemple

B) the steel band hired for the event packed up and left upon finding out they had been hired by UKIP

Is that legal. I'm not making a political point, but I'm pretty sure you can't just pack up because you don't like the person who hired you.

Farage decided to give it a miss and the party's candidate, who was probably a bit annoyed, declared the entire town 'unsafe' and 'a dump'.

Honesty is the best policy :colone:

Spoiler

Reply 4
Original post by SHallowvale
Agreed. But then again, news has been very slow.

I hope we'll have more things to talk about once then European Election results come in.

True. It'll be interesting to see how that turns out for UKIP
Original post by Tappouni

I think it is natural for a lot of focus to be on UKIP. And if they carry on having incidents like this one, or Farage's Paxman interview, or Farage's LBC interview, or the candidate who said the opposition should be hanged, or the councillor who called the police on a Green party activist, or the one 'Kipper who suggested Lenny Henry go live in a black country... (the list goes on), then they are bound to be subject to media reports.

UKIP is probably the only party that feels a need to add "non racist" in its description of itself. In fact, UKIP cannot stop telling people how non racist it is. That and promising to cause an earthquake and be different to the mainstream parties means, I am afraid, that people will be looking for any cracks in the facade. UKIP just seems to show them off.

Original post by andrew2209
Is that legal. I'm not making a political point, but I'm pretty sure you can't just pack up because you don't like the person who hired you.

They'll probably have to refund any fee charged. There might be other consequences.

But the band say they were misled as to the nature of the event.

Fake "Romanian" protesters :biggrin:

[video="youtube;tFF0Pm4VQcw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFF0Pm4VQcw[/video]

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/05/20/VIDEO-Romanian-Protesters-at-UKIP-Carnival-Admit-No-Links-to-Romania-at-All

The steel band member that made them pack up was... a white woman :biggrin:
To be fair, Croydon is a dump.

Quick Reply

Latest