Turn on thread page Beta

Further proof that the hackers were from here! watch

ReputationRep:
    Just getting round to updating the UKL pics site, and found in the folder and sub folders I use for storing these pics a load of odd files planted, about 40 or 50, things like Adobe 10 crack.exe, Britneyspearssexypic.jpg.exe, EminemandBritney.jpg.exe e.t.c. e.t.c. The creation dates match up too! To me that shouts that the hacker I had a while back was someone from here, because why pick out the UKL member pics file and stick them there, and in the sub-folders, why not somewhere else?!!?! So everyone, just letting you know about this, beware of the hacker, make sure you have a good firewall when you come on!! Love Shazza xxxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    all i know is that about half the times i come on to this site, my norton virus scanner thing tells me that someone is trying to send me a trojan horse or something...

dunno if it's bad or good, i block it anyway :confused:

meh, probably nothing bad at all, something quite normal...who knows?
    i don't!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    They sound like files downloaded from a P2P network or from email attachments. If a hacker had such access to your machine, why didn't they run the programs (virii) instead of just planting them on there?
    you tell me! I know they had access, because my computer and other files opened themselves up very quickly, and my zip drive fired up, a few times. As soon as it happened, i pulled the phone out, so they would only have had say 10-20 seconds access. I have stopped it now by fixing up my firewall, but it was about 2-3 weeks ago. The only time the folder would be open is via tripod whilst uploading to the site, so could it have been done then?

edit: and it didn't come via the email, because I use an internet based, which you click the files, and it shows the image, I then right clik and save picture as.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkler)
    all i know is that about half the times i come on to this site, my norton virus scanner thing tells me that someone is trying to send me a trojan horse or something...

i don't!!!
    Damn those Greeks and their Trojan Horsies.

On a more serious note how is anyone sending you files through a forum people should just lose the scanners and firewalls and stop being so paranoid!

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, it just doesn't work like you think at all. P2P is your problem me thinks =P

ReputationRep:
    A program via the OS can fire up a zip drive or indeed any other drive but that doesn't mean it was a virus or a hacker - winamp fires up my normally dormant second hard drive and sometimes CD ROM.

What files opened themselves up? I'm sure these symptoms can be explained as something other than a hacker or virus.
    My computer, followed by programme files, my documents. Then my D drive (second hard drive for file storage) then the F (zip) drive which was empty. So I pulkled the plug. They all popped up within seconds.

ReputationRep:
    It does smack a little of remote control via a trojan, did you check which processes were running at the time?

On reflection it doesn't sound as far fetched as I first thought. Bear in mind that muppets like DazYa have access to trojans (which he uses for DDoS attacks) which can do similar things, but it was not necessarily someone from UKL (in fact statistically unlikely) as there are thousands of people continually trying to access machines for the purposes of remote control to use in DDoS attacks.
    As far as I know - which is very little - people like DazYa would just send you a file with you knowing, but call it something innocent, and you would have to run it and it would then embed itself in your system giving him (and anyone else with the same kiddy trojan client (sub-7 or whatever) access to your computer.

Have you run any files that people have sent you? Sometimes they're put into those dodgy desktop animation things and stupid flash films you get in emails.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    As far as I know - which is very little - people like DazYa would just send you a file with you knowing, but call it something innocent, and you would have to run it and it would then embed itself in your system giving him (and anyone else with the same kiddy trojan client (sub-7 or whatever) access to your computer.

Have you run any files that people have sent you? Sometimes they're put into those dodgy desktop animation things and stupid flash films you get in emails.
    No I am always very wary of that.. anyway I always run sophos which picks up trojans, and ad-aware which gets rid of all spy stuff and tracking cookies e.t.c. I knew that pesky kid was trouble! I read some of the things he put on the old thread of mine, when I first found out, and he put some links to his ping machine or sommat! Thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    It does smack a little of remote control via a trojan, did you check which processes were running at the time?

On reflection it doesn't sound as far fetched as I first thought. Bear in mind that muppets like DazYa have access to trojans (which he uses for DDoS attacks) which can do similar things, but it was not necessarily someone from UKL (in fact statistically unlikely) as there are thousands of people continually trying to access machines for the purposes of remote control to use in DDoS attacks.
    I didn't check the processes, I panicked a little I guess, pulled the plug and closed everything and ran sophos!

ReputationRep:

i don't!!!
    Ditto!

Sorry, I would expand so as not to annoy people with a "spammy" post but I have nothing else to add...

ReputationRep:
    these trojans you speak of, are they what i was on about??

nah??? i used to panic when i got the norton pop-up things too

rum te tum

ReputationRep:
    What did it come up with?
    nothing, luckily!! you just don't want people snooping around your computer do you! I mean I have heard of some sophisticated hackers ahving things that can detect keystrokes, thus getting things like credit card info if you buy online e.t.c.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shazza)
    I didn't check the processes, I panicked a little I guess, pulled the plug and closed everything and ran sophos!
    My computer went weird the other day too... and went mad when I was on this site...
    I haven't got any files of my computer that I didn't put there though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shazza)
    nothing, luckily!! you just don't want people snooping around your computer do you! I mean I have heard of some sophisticated hackers ahving things that can detect keystrokes, thus getting things like credit card info if you buy online e.t.c.
    I think the people who can do that have bigger fish to fry than UKL members but yeah they do exist.

ReputationRep:
    these trojans you speak of, are they what i was on about??

nah??? i used to panic when i got the norton pop-up things too

rum te tum

thats what I get now, now I have improoved my firewall.. that doesn't panic me cuz I know my computers safe!

ReputationRep:
    what's fingering (in terms of computers, not anything else!!!!!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    what's fingering (in terms of computers, not anything else!!!!!!)
    I am probably wrong, but I thought that was what you learnt when you learnt to touch type?

ReputationRep:
    Hehe keystroke loggers are about as unsophisticated as you can get

If your AV didn't come up with anything and everything has been ok since, I wouldn't worry.

thanks you thoughtful, helpful chappie!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    I am probably wrong, but I thought that was what you learnt when you learnt to touch type?
    It's something to do with email accounts I think... not sure though...

Learn to touch type? You mean when you press the screen :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Basically seeing which users are logged into a machine. A message is sent to a computer, and that computer returns a list of logged in users. Its not available on most windows computers by default.
    LOL, oh well we were told to get our fingering right when we touch typed.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.