The Student Room Group

Fast Track Degree worth it?

I'm in a bit of a dilemma at the moment...

I've just finished doing my first year studying computer science and I really don't like it.
So now I want to study Computing or something IT related that's not very math heavy. Unfortunately I can't transfer into second year with my current course so I have a few options..

I've read about these fast track degrees that allow you to do a 3 year degree in two years;

Now this is my problem, the Universities that offer these 'fast track' degrees are quite low in the uni ranking leaderboards...and they only need about 250 ucas points or so to enter.
However I will save a whole year if I decide to choose the fast track but my employment rate might not be as good?

I got A* A* A at A level so I could easily go to a better University and do a 3 year degree? I've already done 3 years of Sixth-form because I redid one year, I don't want to re-do another year :L

Save 1 year and go to a crappy University or do an extra year and go to a good Uni?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
If I were you, I'd go to the better university for the three-year degree, especially since your grades are very good!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Go to a better university.
Original post by *Stefan*
If I were you, I'd go to the better university for the three-year degree, especially since your grades are very good!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by alow
Go to a better university.

You guys think it's worth it? I'm turning 20 this year and I'll be in my first year of uni again :L
Definitely go to a better ranked university.
Original post by IntenseSoldier
I'm in a bit of a dilemma at the moment...

I've just finished doing my first year studying computer science and I really don't like it.
So now I want to study Computing or something IT related that's not very math heavy. Unfortunately I can't transfer into second year with my current course so I have a few options..

I've read about these fast track degrees that allow you to do a 3 year degree in two years;

Now this is my problem, the Universities that offer these 'fast track' degrees are quite low in the uni ranking leaderboards...and they only need about 250 ucas points or so to enter.
However I will save a whole year if I decide to choose the fast track but my employment rate might not be as good?

I got A* A* A at A level so I could easily go to a better University and do a 3 year degree? I've already done 3 years of Sixth-form because I redid one year, I don't want to re-do another year :L

Save 1 year and go to a crappy University or do an extra year and go to a good Uni?

Do whichever you will regret less. What do you think will matter more to you in 10 years' time: having spent an additional year at uni, or having gone to a uni that undersold your abilities?
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Definitely go to a better ranked university.

Original post by TurboCretin
Do whichever you will regret less. What do you think will matter more to you in 10 years' time: having spent an additional year at uni, or having gone to a uni that undersold your abilities?

Yeah you're both right, I think taking the extra year is probably the better option, I guess I'm just scared for being so old and not having made any progress for the past year.
Original post by IntenseSoldier
Yeah you're both right, I think taking the extra year is probably the better option, I guess I'm just scared for being so old and not having made any progress for the past year.

It sounds to me like the 'no progress' thing is what's holding you back. The age thing isn't so big a deal - you'll be the same age coming out of uni as people who took a gap year and did a four year degree.

It would be great if you could go back in time, but you can't. You are where you are, and you have to do the thing that's best for you going forward. Don't let past mistakes lead you into further ones, whatever decision you make.
Better uni for three years. Every time. Not only will the university name look better on your CV, you'll actually have time to do all the extra curricular and work experience type things that will get you a job, whereas you probably won't have time to do this on a fasttrack degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending