jakebugg02x
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have my "Understanding Poetry" exam tomorrow. I'm really nervous and I don't believe for one second I did amazing on the Understanding Prose. My coursework was good, but it's only 25%. How do I go about the Poetry section? I have my anthology books, and I know there's seen and unseen poetry. My teacher is really bad, and he doesn't go through everything with us.. he only told me I need to include how language, structure and form contributes to the writer's presentation of ideas themes and settings (from the mark scheme). My old teacher was good and I have the poems annotated but she left unfourtunately. So I just really need help! We're doing the Relationships section. What do I have to do in the exam? And what things should I include? Do I compare poems? Anyway, any help's appreciate. Thank-you loads if you can help me!
16clumsyandshy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm in the exact same position, we only finished the poems last week and have only done one lesson on comparing poetry. Our teacher has had to take us out of six lessons this week just to catch up. And understanding prose was awful, I feel you. The animal farm extract was the worst one ever ( if that's the novel you did)
Anyway I know that in the paper we have unseen poetry, then you have to analyse a seen poem. The next question asks you to compare it with either a specific poem they choose or your own choice. So a half hour on unseen poetry, half hour on analyzing a seen poem then 45 minutes on comparing - well that's how I would do it. Analyzing is OK and seen poetry is pretty easy as the poems are so straight forward. But I'm freaking out about comparing poetry I have no idea how to do it like there's the meaning, form then two techniques but I can never find similar techniques or different techniques having the same effect or whatever. And do we have to include mood and tone? Or is that just for the other questions idek, streessss... I reckon imagery is a safe bet because almost all poems have it and it either paints a picture of scene or character. After that I'm lost
Anjum - Yasmin
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In class we use something called VITTLS(voice, imagery, tone, technique, language and structure) to analyse poetry but there are loads of other ways to do it as well. As long as you include all of that stuff, write in paragraphs and focus on the question you should be fine

Also you could read examples of answers or the examiners reports from previous years that you can find on the internet so you know what kind of answers your meant to be writing.
Good luck!
NotEthanCapes69
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you use SITE?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (74)
23.79%
No (237)
76.21%

Watched Threads