The Student Room Group

Are degree's that important?

Hi guys. I have the offer of working with a Big 4 firm next year as a school leaver studying towards the ACA qualification. I also have an offer from a Russel Group university to do Economics and Accounting (which has exemptions from all the first stage exams of the ACA). If I did the degree, I would probably end up doing the professional qualifications afterwards. In the future I don't see myself working in audit and I have several ideas of what I would like to do -

Property Development (I would probably do this to earn a bit of extra cash initially but if I was successful enough, I would maybe move into it full time - clearly I need no qualifications for this)

Working in industry (I would be very interested in particular working for a football club and working my way up to Finance Director or CEO of a Premier League team)

Working in consulting (I would be interested in strategy and management consulting for one of the Big 4 or MBB firms)

My question is, apart from the first one, will not having a degree ever hold me back if I decide to move into these areas as I know it wouldn't prevent me from moving up internally within the firm I have an offer from?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You don't need a degree for any of those things and the ICAEW qualification is at least on the same level as an undergraduate degree on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF). My understanding is that ICAEW finals and the final year of a degree are both NQF 6.

If you do really want a degree later on, then do this after you qualify:

http://careers.icaew.com/school-students-leavers/Entry-routes/University-and-higher-education/birkbeck-degree

If you go to university, all you will get for it is about £45k of debt and a qualification that is less valuable than what the Big 4 firm is offering to pay for. You will also miss out on three year's salary. It's just not worth it.
Reply 2
Original post by AW1983
You don't need a degree for any of those things and the ICAEW qualification is at least on the same level as an undergraduate degree on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF). My understanding is that ICAEW finals and the final year of a degree are both NQF 6.

http://careers.icaew.com/school-students-leavers/Entry-routes/University-and-higher-education/birkbeck-degree

If you go to university, all you will get for it is about £45k of debt and a qualification that is less valuable than what the Big 4 firm is offering to pay for. You will also miss out on three year's salary. It's just not worth it.

Arguably consulting (particularly the two areas he mentions) is going to be very difficult to break in to without a degree? Won't be much of an issue for the other two, although may restrict some choices further down the line.

Aren't the final ACA exams were equivalent to a masters qualification, not a bachelors?

OP, just to play devils advocate, bear in mind if you don't go to uni you'll miss three years of... uni! Worth considering whether you want to spend your late teens with quite a high pressure job? Also bear in mind the "£45k of debt" isn't real debt, it's a student loan, very different. In the grand scheme of your life that's not going to be a massive amount of money, assuming you reach your ambitions above.

All that said, the school leaver route is a very lucrative opportunity and you'll kick yourself for skipping it if you end up unemployed as a graduate. I would probably be leaning towards the school leaver scheme in your shoes with the benefit of hindsight.
Degree will open up your career prospects a little more. Although if you're sure accounting is what you go into I'd recommend the school leaver programmes that are being offered.
Reply 4
Arguably consulting (particularly the two areas he mentions) is going to be very difficult to break in to without a degree? Won't be much of an issue for the other two, although may restrict some choices further down the line.

I don't think it would be particularly hard provided the OP had a solid degree level qualification like the ICAEW. They could always go on to do an MBA afterwards (a first degree won't be required if applicants have the right professional qualifications)?

Aren't the final ACA exams were equivalent to a masters qualification, not a bachelors?

Possibly, I wasn't 100% so I said at least equivalent to an undergraduate degree. ICSA finals are Level 7 compared to Level 6 for an honours degree, so ICAEW would probably be the same.

OP, just to play devils advocate, bear in mind if you don't go to uni you'll miss three years of... uni! Worth considering whether you want to spend your late teens with quite a high pressure job? Also bear in mind the "£45k of debt" isn't real debt, it's a student loan, very different. In the grand scheme of your life that's not going to be a massive amount of money, assuming you reach your ambitions above.

Well, interesting thought but consider this. My path was History degree, professional qualification. Five years of solid study. My brother went into ICAEW at 18, finished at 21 and spent the next five years half working on lucrative contracts and the other half travelling. He went on some nice holidays whilst he was studying too! I don't think he missed out....

All that said, the school leaver route is a very lucrative opportunity and you'll kick yourself for skipping it if you end up unemployed as a graduate. I would probably be leaning towards the school leaver scheme in your shoes with the benefit of hindsight.

Agreed. And also remember they'll offer you a contract now on your A-Levels. In three years time they'll expect at least a 2:1 and some extra-curriculars, so if you screw that up you could throw your chance away.

My recommendation is school leaver program followed by MBA if you want a degree. Or Birkbeck if you desperately want an undergrad one.
Original post by AW1983

ACA is equivalent to, or even higher than a masters degree.
I'm definitely an advocate for not going to uni, but uni is a bunch of fun and all the spiel about growing as a person, once in a lifetime experience etc. is very much true. Imo, degrees are important, but not necessarily in and of itself, the life experience and network is the real value of university.

Original post by GR3YFOXXX

Yup both Level 7. Most decent professional qualifications are.
Maybe I'm woefully wrong, but I don't see the point in a degree unless you're planning to go into a profession where a degree is specifically required (Medicine, Law etc.) or you plan to go into further research.

For most people, a degree is simply a means to put off working and getting into a mountain of debt while you're at it.
Reply 8

On purely academic level, I can now confirm that ICAEW is NQF 7, equivalent but not higher than a Masters degree. However, I would agree that the ACA is more valuable than a Masters degree, because the work experience requirement not only sets it apart but is probably more valuable than the exams, at least to benefit from perception (in truth, you could spend a long time ticking boxes, but others disagree with me on that so we shan't dwell on it)!

I'm definitely an advocate for not going to uni, but uni is a bunch of fun and all the spiel about growing as a person, once in a lifetime experience etc. is very much true. Imo, degrees are important, but not necessarily in and of itself, the life experience and network is the real value of university.

Whilst I agree these experiences are attainable at university, they are certainly not unique. The debt arrangements are much more unique than the experiences, which could just as easily be gained as a holiday rep, a backpacker or indeed a trainee hanging out with lots of other trainees at a Big 4 firm.

Maybe I'm woefully wrong, but I don't see the point in a degree unless you're planning to go into a profession where a degree is specifically required (Medicine, Law etc.) or you plan to go into further research.

For most people, a degree is simply a means to put off working and getting into a mountain of debt while you're at it.

I agree with this, generally, although it does annoy me sometimes that those without means are to all intents and purposes becoming excluded from studying humanities subjects. This becomes even more true at Masters and PhD level, where poorer students can't wait forever for a permanent job. I don't particularly relish the idea that History Depts will become dominated by rich folk in the next few years either.
Original post by Bassetts

You are wrong in my opinion.

In finance/accountancy at least pretty much all jobs have a university degree as a requirement for applicants. No degree= you're not considered. It isn't necessarily the knowledge you learn in university thats so key but its the experience of learning and working hard thats important.

A degree is a way to get jobs you would otherwise never be considered for. Plus, student debt isn't really the same kind of debt as a bank loan. It is essentially a wealth tax as you pay it only as a percentage of your earnings above a threshold.
Original post by AW1983
On purely academic level, I can now confirm that ICAEW is NQF 7, equivalent but not higher than a Masters degree. However, I would agree that the ACA is more valuable than a Masters degree, because the work experience requirement not only sets it apart but is probably more valuable than the exams, at least to benefit from perception (in truth, you could spend a long time ticking boxes, but others disagree with me on that so we shan't dwell on it)!

Whilst I agree these experiences are attainable at university, they are certainly not unique. The debt arrangements are much more unique than the experiences, which could just as easily be gained as a holiday rep, a backpacker or indeed a trainee hanging out with lots of other trainees at a Big 4 firm.

I agree with this, generally, although it does annoy me sometimes that those without means are to all intents and purposes becoming excluded from studying humanities subjects. This becomes even more true at Masters and PhD level, where poorer students can't wait forever for a permanent job. I don't particularly relish the idea that History Depts will become dominated by rich folk in the next few years either.

Agreed. However, having done a masters (LL.M) and almost having completed my ACA (with CAI), the academic difficulty of the ACA is leaps and bounds ahead.

The NQF guidelines are of limited utility given the fact that they break down qualification's comparability on a very basic level. But don't get me wrong, I do accept your point.
Original post by GR3YFOXXX
Agreed. However, having done a masters (LL.M) and almost having completed my ACA (with CAI), the academic difficulty of the ACA is leaps and bounds ahead.

The NQF guidelines are of limited utility given the fact that they break down qualification's comparability on a very basic level. But don't get me wrong, I do accept your point.

I dunno, I'm doing the harder exams of the ICAS qualification at the minute and it's nowhere near as difficult as my undergrad degree. Guess it depends where you go and what you do
Original post by Hedgeman49
I dunno, I'm doing the harder exams of the ICAS qualification at the minute and it's nowhere near as difficult as my undergrad degree. Guess it depends where you go and what you do

My undergrad and masters were in Law at Russel Group Uni so by no means a soft degree. The CAP II exams (second stage of the Chartered Accounts Exams in Ireland) were the worst set of exams I've ever had to do. The national pass rate is something like 55% and only 70% of big 4 candidates managed to pass all of the exams in their first sitting. The FAE's (finals), which I'm currently sitting, have a pass rate of 60% (c.75% @ the big 4).
Great thread! Did you know 99% of school leavers who chose an apprenticeship or school leaver programme as a route into this career area would recommend it to a friend? Surely that says something in itself. University is an expensive route if you're not quite sure, the ACA is (as said above) a higher qualification than a graduate and something that a graduate goes on to do. Interestingly, once you're high up in a business - no-one really asks about your degree or university as your work experience counts in itself.

Have a look through these reviews from the school leavers I mentioned above who work in accountancy - might give you an idea of what the experience is like and the doors it can open.

Good luck!

Felicity
Original post by Bassetts

yeah but at least the bad stuff is counterbalanced by all the sex you have at uni.
Original post by Felicity RMA
University is an expensive route if you're not quite sure

Actually, I disagree on this. University is the best thing to do if you're not quite sure. School leaver schemes require a huge amount of commitment, you need to be certain what you want to do in the future others you will either drop out of the scheme or fail and have have no other options without a degree. Expensive doesn't come into it as all a student loan means is effectively paying slightly more "tax" once earning over a certain threshold
Original post by cambio wechsel
yeah but at least the bad stuff is counterbalanced by all the sex you have at uni.
Is that meant to be a dig at me personally? :rolleyes: Cos I haven't had any sex at uni, unless you can count one rather bad piece of sex where I lost my virginity to someone off this website :frown: Anyone who's been using this site for the last 8 months or so would know my position from all the complaining I've done.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
My undergrad and masters were in Law at Russel Group Uni so by no means a soft degree. The CAP II exams (second stage of the Chartered Accounts Exams in Ireland) were the worst set of exams I've ever had to do. The national pass rate is something like 55% and only 70% of big 4 candidates managed to pass all of the exams in their first sitting. The FAE's (finals), which I'm currently sitting, have a pass rate of 60% (c.75% @ the big 4).

My understanding was that ICAI had a particularly brutal set of finals papers?

Actually, I disagree on this. University is the best thing to do if you're not quite sure. School leaver schemes require a huge amount of commitment, you need to be certain what you want to do in the future others you will either drop out of the scheme or fail and have have no other options without a degree. Expensive doesn't come into it as all a student loan means is effectively paying slightly more "tax" once earning over a certain threshold

I'm with Felicity on this one. You can walk away from a school leaver scheme and go and do a degree and you can get a student loan to do that. If, however, you do a degree and later decide you want to do something else that requires a degree, the position I find myself in now (wanting to do a law degree) you will find:

1) You are not eligible for a student loan because you already have a degree;
2) The fees charged may be higher than someone doing a first degree and possibly charged at the same level as an international student.
Original post by AW1983
My understanding was that ICAI had a particularly brutal set of finals papers?

I'm with Felicity on this one. You can walk away from a school leaver scheme and go and do a degree and you can get a student loan to do that. If, however, you do a degree and later decide you want to do something else that requires a degree, the position I find myself in now (wanting to do a law degree) you will find:

1) You are not eligible for a student loan because you already have a degree;
2) The fees charged may be higher than someone doing a first degree and possibly charged at the same level as an international student.

Why don't you do a GDL if you want to do law/become a lawyer after you've done your undergrad?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
It's a fair question but it's also very expensive and not possible to finance with a student loan. The point I was making was that you can make it an awful lot easier on yourself financially if you avoid doing a degree until you know what it is you want to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending