The Student Room Group

Is it possible to find car with cheaper insurance than ones in group 1 car insurance?

I've tried searching, all cars in group 1 insurance are around 2.5-3k, and I tried searching cars outside group 1 insurance, the premium skyrockets.

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM

Check Endsleigh - they do student car insurance with significant discounts

If that doesn't work for you, try searching:
confused.com
gocompare.com
www.moneysupermarket.com
(edited 5 years ago)
Look harder.....insurance group mean very little in reality, look around on confused. Com, add a few named drivers, try telematic boxes, etc
Original post by Iqbal007
Look harder.....insurance group mean very little in reality, look around on confused. Com, add a few named drivers, try telematic boxes, etc

Dont try the boxes- they are ****
Original post by Emma:-)
Dont try the boxes- they are ****

Thats your experience............mine was completely fine for my first year
Thats your experience............mine was completely fine for my first year

Its not my experience.
Theres loads of bad reviews about them everywhere.
Its not my experience.
Theres loads of bad reviews about them everywhere.

There are also loads of good reviews about them everywhere.......
There are also loads of good reviews about them everywhere.......

Theres more bad than good
Theres more bad than good

Thats subjective I would say, there is no real way to gauge the reality.....
2 years back when I was hunting for insurance for my eldest to drive in UK, my experience was giving her a cheapish Group 1 car didn't really bring about cheap insurance rates that were cheap, in fact it was more expensive to put her in a 07 Fiat Panda 1.2l than it was to put her in a Volvo C30 1.6 D2, cheaper not by a small margin. Almost £1000 less.

Generally a 1.4-1.6l car in a Ford Focus or VW Golf sized car or a 1.6-1.8l in a Mondeo or Vectra would work out cheaper than a 1.0l Corsa. Supposedly it was something to do with a statistical abnormality as fewer 1.8l Vectras are involved in a crash by your average 17 year old driver.

In the same way it was kind of strange, it was cheaper to insure her on a 52 plate Alfa Romeo 156 1.8l than it was for me to insure it for myself, supposedly hardly any 17 or 18 year old drivers drove an Alfa Romeo 156 while there were plenty of 30 something males who drove an Alfa Romeo and smashed it up. Was around £400 less.

As for blackbox insurance, they do work out to be cheaper for some but generally not. Good or not? It isn't bad but it is not great, some of them do have curfew and some don't allow you to have passengers in the car other than a parent. We do have a car that has it, generally it is good for people who like to drive ecologically and I suppose if it does make a difference between an affordable insurance premium vs no insurance then it is a no brainer. It will help a lot in your first year and after that you could keep it if it works for you or simply remove it and move on after having a years NCB.
Add named drivers and get a black box for the first year.
Reply 10
Thanks for replies. Here's a list of cars I tried last few hours:

Area: Extremely high risk area (category 'refer':wink:
Mileage: 6k
Job: Full time education
Used for: Commuting to single place of work (is uni a work?) + Social
Driving license: Less than 1 year, 2 months old.
NCD: Nope.
Vol. Excess: £250.

1. Fiat Panda 1.1 (2004 and 2006) - Costs £2.2k with Endsleigh. I'm pretty sure this is an anomaly as it was around £3k last time I searched.

2. Ford Modeno (2000) - costs £9.7k with Hyperperformance as it was only the insurer who are willing to insure me.

3. Alfa Romeo 156 (2000) - Costs £9.7k with Hyperperformance, again the only insurer who quoted me.

4. Vauxhall Corsa (2006) - Costs £4k with Endsleigh.

5. Renault Clio (2006) - Costs £4.3K with Endsleigh.

Any suggestions?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Quirky!

Area: Extremely high risk area (category 'refer')

1. Fiat Panda 1.1 (2004 and 2006) - Costs £2.2k with Endsleigh. I'm pretty sure this is an anomaly as it was around £3k last time I searched.

2. Ford Modeno (2000) - costs £9.7k with Hyperperformance as it was only the insurer who are willing to insure me.

3. Alfa Romeo 156 (2000) - Costs £9.7k with Hyperperformance, again the only insurer who quoted me.

Any suggestions?

If you don't need a large car, a Ford Ka or Fiesta (Focus will probably be a little more) should be quite cheap to insure :smile: Also, what happens if you put the annual mileage up to 10k? Mine was cheaper with a higher mileage...I know that might sound odd, but if you're travelling longer distance, they're assuming you're doing long motorway runs, and not running around on country lanes and through town centres - more direct routes. See if that decreases the price?
Original post by Quirky!

Area: Extremely high risk area (category 'refer':wink:

Any suggestions?

Check out Co-op young drivers or Bell from admiral

Add 2 experienced named drivers and put their millage high and yours low.

Try cars like Nissan Micra's and Ford Fiesta's
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Tappouni
If you don't need a large car, a Ford Ka or Fiesta (Focus will probably be a little more) should be quite cheap to insure :smile: Also, what happens if you put the annual mileage up to 10k? Mine was cheaper with a higher mileage...I know that might sound odd, but if you're travelling longer distance, they're assuming you're doing long motorway runs, and not running around on country lanes and through town centres - more direct routes. See if that decreases the price?

Unfortunately I do need a larger car. But I'll try look for smaller cars anyway. Here's what I found:

1. Ford Ka with 10k mileage: £3.1k with Endsleigh. With 6k mileage: £3.2K with Endsleigh. Not much of difference here.

2. Ford Fiesta with 10k mileage: £3K with Endsleigh. With 6k mileage: £3.1k. Not much of difference here. I'll be putting 10k mileage from today, thanks.

3. Fiat Panda 1.1 with 10k mileage: £3.2K (Wtf). With 6k mileage, it costs £3.1k. This is with Endsleigh.

Original post by Camoxide
Check out Co-op young drivers or Bell from admiral

Add 2 experienced named drivers and put their millage high and yours low.

Try cars like Nissan Micra's and Ford Fiesta's

Bell from Admiral always comes up 2nd in comparison sites, but it still costs ~1k more than Endsleigh.

Nissan Micra comes up costing £3.8k.

Co-Op Young drivers insurance refused to quote me.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 14
bump
Reply 15
Might be a bit late commenting on this, but it's worth playing with each small hatchback. You'll find that at least one of them will be beneficial. For instance, try the Astra, Leon, Ibiza or Polo. Also try to go on non-comparison sites, some of them work out. Like Aviva or LV. I've found that putting 8k mileage gives a better quote than normal.

Where you park also makes a bit of difference, if you choose the park on road option, over the park on drive option... The quote can sometimes go lower.

Obviously its different with each and every person. All the best and Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending