The Student Room Group

A Level Sociology Exam 21/5/14 Education

My answers were.
1) explain what is meant by deferred gratification
This is a middle class value that sacrifices pleasure now for future success in the long term.
2) Explain three reasons why working-class parents dont attend parents evenings
a. work longer hours and so cannot have time
b. culture doesnt favour education
c. intimidated by the middle class atmosphere
Q3). explain why ethnic differences affect achievement
para 1- attitude and values, para 2 - structure of families para 3 teacher expectations para 4 ethnocentric curriculum
Question 4 ) assess the contribution of functionalist sociologists to our understand of the education system.
para1 ; role allocation para 2 , social soliditary , para 3 meritocracy ,
question 5 - methods in context i did official statistics - pervert,
question 6 , explain what is meant by pilot study- the pre test
question 7 / two advantages of personal documents - werent written with researcher in mind and also study the past
question 8 difference between independant and dependant - indep is causal factor and dependant is dependant on the independant
question 9 ethical issues; consent, confidentality, hurting children prospects, physical harm, and one other.

what are other people's response???
Not too sure about my answer to personal documents being right lol
I wrote pretty much the same as you except for questions 6 and 7 (wrote the correct definition for pilot study then crossed it out :mad:) so I'm really hoping you did well haha!
I didn't find it too bad to be honest, was definitely expecting it to be worse than it was :smile:
Yes it was generous , do you think my documents answer was right ?? That's the one I'm worried about
Original post by Magnus Taylor
Yes it was generous , do you think my documents answer was right ?? That's the one I'm worried about

Your documents points refer to disadvantages of using documents rather than advantages of using documents.

Advantages can include things like; allow an insight into the writers personal views - especially in diaries; they are easier to access; more time effective; more cost effective; They may be the ONLY way of studying things from the past.
Original post by hiimbradlol
Your documents points refer to disadvantages of using documents rather than advantages of using documents.

Advantages can include things like; allow an insight into the writers personal views - especially in diaries; they are easier to access; more time effective; more cost effective; They may be the ONLY way of studying things from the past.

One of mine is mentioning the past , if they were written without the researcher in mind doesn't this mean they have increased validity and less researcher bias??

Quick Reply