spleenharvester
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Can someone help me with action potentials? Going back over my notes, here are the fragments that don't really make sense, see the bold type:

For resting potential - voltage-gated Na+ channels closed, K+ channels open.

For action potential - 1) depolarisation - (non-voltage gated) Na+ channels open and Na+ enters via facilitated diffusion - doesn't this happen at rest too? Or is this referring to generator potentials from sensory receptors, eg pressure on pacinian corpuscles opening the channels?

K+ channels are mostly closed - when does this happen? K+ are freely diffusing back out at rest so this doesn't make sense?

2) repolarisation - Na+ channels close and K+ channels open - is it just the voltage-gated Na+ channels that close or all of them? Also, does the K+ channel opening happen suddenly?

K+ ions can now diffuse out of the cell by facilitated diffusion - wouldn't this make the membrane pd more positive, since there are only Na+ ions? Or is it the presence of negatively charged proteins with the loss of positive ions that makes it more negative? I've never understood this.

I don't have any textbooks anymore so would appreciate some help.

Cheers!
Joshalos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by spleenharvester)
Can someone help me with action potentials? Going back over my notes, here are the fragments that don't really make sense, see the bold type:

For resting potential - voltage-gated Na+ channels closed, K+ channels open.

For action potential - 1) depolarisation - (non-voltage gated) Na+ channels open and Na+ enters via facilitated diffusion - doesn't this happen at rest too? Or is this referring to generator potentials from sensory receptors, eg pressure on pacinian corpuscles opening the channels?

K+ channels are mostly closed - when does this happen? K+ are freely diffusing back out at rest so this doesn't make sense?

2) repolarisation - Na+ channels close and K+ channels open - is it just the voltage-gated Na+ channels that close or all of them? Also, does the K+ channel opening happen suddenly?

K+ ions can now diffuse out of the cell by facilitated diffusion - wouldn't this make the membrane pd more positive, since there are only Na+ ions? Or is it the presence of negatively charged proteins with the loss of positive ions that makes it more negative? I've never understood this.

I don't have any textbooks anymore so would appreciate some help.

Cheers!
During the resting potential, both voltage gated Na+ and K+ channels remain closed. However, there exist leakage channels for both Na+ and K+ (mostly K+ channels) that allow the flow of ions into and out of the cell still. The Na+/K+ ATPase pump maintains the resting potential.

1) Depolarisation - A stimulus is received which causes some of the Na+ channels to open and so Na+ flows into the cell which begins to depolarise it. If it is depolarised sufficiently (past the threshold value) an action potential is formed.

Most Na+ voltage gated channels open in response to the depolarisation causing a large influx of Na+. K+ channels remain closed. This causes the inner membrane to become positive with respect to the outside of the membrane.

2) Repolarisation - Inactivation gates on the Na+ channels then close, halting Na+ influx and K+ gates open, causing efflux of K+. Now the inner membrane becomes more negative.

3) Hyperpolarisation - K+ channels are slow to close and so more K+ leaves the cell, causing the membrane to become even more negative. The K+ channels close and the resting membrane potential is returned and maintained by the Na+/K+ pump.

With regards to your last question. The inside of the membrane becomes less positive (or more negative) as the positively charged K+ ions leave the cell. It is negative relative to the outside of the membrane.
spleenharvester
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Joshalos)
snip
That's fantastic mate, thankyou very much!
Joshalos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by spleenharvester)
That's fantastic mate, thankyou very much!
You're welcome! :cookie:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (94)
58.02%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (18)
11.11%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (20)
12.35%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (12)
7.41%
I haven't started researching yet (9)
5.56%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (9)
5.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed