The Student Room Group

Contacting a lecturer at another university.

Its an unusual question I know, but there is a doctor at a different university to my own who is an expert in a field I have particular interest in. I would like to ask this person a few questions.An email and telephone number is provided on their profile at their university.

But since I am not a student at their uni (paying part of their salary) I assume it will be a lot more difficult to get in contact with them, especially if I don't have the backing or recommendation of someone they already know.

Has ayone tried this before or have any tips. If I write an email to them saying I want to talk to them might it appear in their junk mail, are they likely to just skip it or do people think they will ibe open to having a quick telephone/ 1 on 1 conversation with me, even if I'm a nobody, not doing anything official.

Thanks.
Maybe ask some of your lecturers the best way to go about it? They will probably have an understanding of the way it would be perceived by the other lecturer.
If they're an expert in their field it's quite likely they're happy to talk to you as it'll be something they're very passionate about.

In my experience, though, it can take a while to get a response from some academics. I once waited at more than three months for a reply to an email.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending