Reasons why people convert to islam?

Watch
Okeyiaj
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I know a friend if mine who converted to Islam a year ago? She is a white 16 yr old girl and I was looking at her pics on FB?

Tell me reason why people convert to Islam particularly?

NB: Don't write me an (OMAM) essay, just keep it concise pls
Illiberal Liberal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Peer pressure.

Confusion.
Red one
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Because they want to go to heaven, it's really that simple. All the other religions are wrong, that's the gist of it.
demhka
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Law-Hopeful)
Peer pressure.

Confusion.
A WHITE girl facing peer pressure to convert to Islam? Yeah right! Like she will even have any Muslim friends
BRQ
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Maybe out of research, they looked into it and something clicked or appealed to them? No ones forced into becoming Islamic
Illiberal Liberal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by demhka)
A WHITE girl facing peer pressure to convert to Islam? Yeah right! Like she will even have any Muslim friends
OP asked in general not about one anecdotal example.

Are you saying that white people do not have muslim friends? :lolwut:
Okeyiaj
Rep:
?
(Original post by demhka)
Ah. Islam is being talked about alot lately. There's merely any Muslim ppl in my school btw
Lotus_Eater
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Existential anxiety brought about by post-Englightenment scepticism about deities. Some people seem to be temperamentally crippled by the thought of exercising their own reason and much prefer having something external to themselves by which to refer all their decisions. Islam has a reputation for uncompromising discipline. After the reforms of the Catholic church during the 20C, Islam is the only major religion which is practiced with genuine institutional fanaticism and I suspect that appeals to some prospective convertees.
RioFantastic
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lotus_Eater)
Islam is the only major religion which is practiced with genuine institutional fanaticism and I suspect that appeals to some prospective convertees.
That's a ridiculous sweeping statement. Ever heard of the Westboro Baptist Church? How about Scientology? Those are just two examples off the top of my head of religions that are practiced with just as much fervour as Islam and I'm sure there are many, many more.
Okeyiaj
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lotus_Eater)
Existential anxiety brought about by post-Englightenment scepticism about deities. Some people seem to be temperamentally crippled by the thought of exercising their own reason and much prefer having something external to themselves by which to refer all their decisions. Islam has a reputation for uncompromising discipline. After the reforms of the Catholic church during the 20C, Islam is the only major religion which is practiced with genuine institutional fanaticism and I suspect that appeals to some prospective convertees.
You definitely got an A* in English?
Lotus_Eater
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by RioFantastic)
That's a ridiculous sweeping statement. Ever heard of the Westboro Baptist Church? How about Scientology? Those are just two examples off the top of my head of religions that are practiced with just as much fervour as Islam and I'm sure there are many, many more.
Yes, I imagine that some converts to those two religions are motivated by similar things. But, to be fair to Islam, it's no way near as crazy as Scientology or the Westboro Baptist Church (the latter of which is probably better described as a cult rather than a religion).

Islam is the biggest mainstream 'uncompromising' religion and just in virtue of its history, culture, and number of adherents would be a much more attractive proposition than Scientology.

(Original post by Okeyiaj)
You definitely got an A* in English?
Ha! Thank you! I also got an A* in religion which (I think) was the last time I ever said anything nice about religion.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (150)
4.91%
Uncertainty around my education (450)
14.74%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (342)
11.2%
Lack of purpose or motivation (424)
13.89%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (143)
4.68%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (185)
6.06%
Loneliness (263)
8.61%
Financial worries (111)
3.64%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.03%
Exposure to negative news/social media (139)
4.55%
Lack of real life entertainment (167)
5.47%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (269)
8.81%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (287)
9.4%

Watched Threads