The Student Room Group

I really want to learn to play a musical instrument

The piano specifically.

How can I start with no £ - is there somewhere I can go to learn?

I have this intense desire to be able to express myself through music that is currently being repressed.

Appreciate all the help
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Joyful_soul
The piano specifically.

How can I trust with no £ - is there somewhere I can go to learn?

I have this intense desire to be able to express myself through music that is currently being repressed.

Appreciate all the help

If you are planning on learning the piano, prepare for a lot of commitment and A LOT OF PRACTICE. I have passed all of my 8 grades of piano, and let me tell you, it's hard as heck! Having good finance is also key, as most instrumental lessons don't come cheap, especially if you want a quality teacher. You need to ask yourself ' Am I ready to sacrifice some of my time for this? Am I gonna take this seriously?' The best musical teachers are usually city-based, but that is no guarantee. Just go with the ones who have many years of experience, so they know how to approach to you.
Piano is, like any instrument, an excellent choice for self-expression. If you think you have what it takes, then go for it! Try out a few lessons first, and see how it goes from there.
Hope this helped...
Good luck!
It's going to be relatively difficult if you have no money as you say, unless you make your own:h:

I play the piano myself and I'd recommend it as a beginner instrument. It's the easiest to get an initial sound out of it however, mastering it will take A LOT of practice, determination and patience. You will want to get lessons from a good piano teacher which may be a bit of a problem if you don't have any money, but trust me... they're worth it! I know first hand being a self taught pianist that if I had invested in a teacher many years ago I would be at a much higher level than I am now. If you can't afford lessons, try renting out a piano for an hour or two at local practice rooms. Find some easy stuff to have a go at and play around a little - see how you like it.

I'd honestly recommend pursuing an instrument, it's a rewarding experience especially for expression as you mentioned. Even if you do feel as if you're never improving, just know that practice and perseverance is the only thing that's going to get you playing that Chopin ballade or Beethoven sonata!

Good Luck:biggrin:
You can learn to play yourself, as I did, but before I learned I could already play guitar for which I had paid lessons, so that may have helped. It'll take a lot of patience and practice to teach yourself. Are you willing to learn songs by sheet music or by ear? I have a lot of trouble reading sheet music, I still can't do it. Everything I know on the piano I have taught myself by ear. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Frannoooooooo
It's going to be relatively difficult if you have no money as you say, unless you make your own:h:

I play the piano myself and I'd recommend it as a beginner instrument. It's the easiest to get an initial sound out of it however, mastering it will take A LOT of practice, determination and patience. You will want to get lessons from a good piano teacher which may be a bit of a problem if you don't have any money, but trust me... they're worth it! I know first hand being a self taught pianist that if I had invested in a teacher many years ago I would be at a much higher level than I am now. If you can't afford lessons, try renting out a piano for an hour or two at local practice rooms. Find some easy stuff to have a go at and play around a little - see how you like it.

I'd honestly recommend pursuing an instrument, it's a rewarding experience especially for expression as you mentioned. Even if you do feel as if you're never improving, just know that practice and perseverance is the only thing that's going to get you playing that Chopin ballade or Beethoven sonata!

Good Luck:biggrin:

Thank you for the honesty.

How much is it to rent out a piano (on avg)?

How many hours per week did you practice when starting?
Thank you for the honesty.

How much is it to rent out a piano (on avg)?

How many hours per week did you practice when starting?

Well I'm not sure how much it will be where you live, but there's a small piano shop near me that charges £3 an hour, so it's pretty cheap!

And as for the hours, I don't really know how much I practised. I didn't begin on the piano, I started on the keyboard and never had the aim to be amazing I just wanted to play a few pop songs ahah. Then I moved on to piano and now usually I practice at least an hour a day and don't really have time for more due to exams and school work. After my exams finish, I think I'll be practising a few hours a day but it's not what you should base your hours on. Practise for as long as you want!:biggrin:
Original post by Frannoooooooo
Well I'm not sure how much it will be where you live, but there's a small piano shop near me that charges £3 an hour, so it's pretty cheap!

And as for the hours, I don't really know how much I practised. I didn't begin on the piano, I started on the keyboard and never had the aim to be amazing I just wanted to play a few pop songs ahah. Then I moved on to piano and now usually I practice at least an hour a day and don't really have time for more due to exams and school work. After my exams finish, I think I'll be practising a few hours a day but it's not what you should base your hours on. Practise for as long as you want!:biggrin:

Thanks again. :smile:

Do you own a piano?

Good luck with your exams.
Thanks again. :smile:

Do you own a piano?

Good luck with your exams.

I don't own an acoustic but I have a digital piano. I'm hoping to get a piano after my exams if my grades are good enough:biggrin:. Digital pianos are good up until a point but as my ability is increasing it's a good idea to get a piano or practise on one. An even better idea would be to invest in a piano from day 1!, but I couldn't afford that ahah.

And thank you! Good luck to you too.
The piano specifically.

How can I start with no £ - is there somewhere I can go to learn?

Appreciate all the help

Piano - good choice! I play piano too and my lessons are paid, but you can also learn by yourself. I know a friend who has self-taught herself piano and she is really talented, so there's nothing wrong with not having paid lessons. For your repressed emotions, I always find music as a comfortable outlet. Whether I'm stressed or frustrated or I just want to have fun, I prefer going to my piano and playing random tunes or composing small sections of music etc.

For the technical side of things (scales and arpeggios are annoying but are good warm-ups for your hands) I suggest going on the internet to find guidelines and key signatures. Piano needs practice and lots of it! It's hard sometimes but it does pay off. Good luck and I hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest