BalkanBabe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Does anyone recommend any French literature that would be beneficial to read in the hope of applying to Oxford to study French?
Thank you!
elaras
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
At the Cambridge open day they said avoid stuff like 'L'etranger' because although it's good, it's something everyone (?? a lot of people) write about on their personal statements. They said try read something a bit different - it doesn't disadvantage you if you've read something they've never heard of because it can be quite refreshing.
qwertyuiop1993
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by BalkanBabe)
Does anyone recommend any French literature that would be beneficial to read in the hope of applying to Oxford to study French?
Thank you!
I'd try a mix of genres and periods of literature. Here are just some suggestions:

Poetry:
Buy an anthology that lets you dip into the works of various authors.
I'd particularly recommend Baudelaire, whose Les fleurs du mal is available online (with various English translations): http://fleursdumal.org/. Ronsard, Lamartine, Verlaine are also worth a look.

Theatre:
Comedy: Molière (My fave is Le Bourgeois gentilhomme
Tragedy: Racine (Andromaque and Phèdre are good)

For something more modern you might like to look into the theatre of the Absurd (Inoesco etc.) or Sartre's plays (Huis clos, Les séquestrés d'Altona)

Novels:
Short stories by Maupassant and Flaubert.
Candide by Voltaire
Madame Bovary by Flaubert
Le grand Meaulnes is a classic of French literature and reasonably accessible.

I read Les liaisons dangereuses in yr13, though it was a bit hard for me at the time.

You could also perhaps try some non-fiction like the philosophical writings of Rousseau or Voltaire.

You in no means have to read anything near this number of books to get in, but these are just some suggestions.

p.s. If you have any further questions about French at Oxford, feel free to ask.
TheBigJosh
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by qwertyuiop1993)
I'd try a mix of genres and periods of literature. Here are just some suggestions:

Poetry:
Buy an anthology that lets you dip into the works of various authors.
I'd particularly recommend Baudelaire, whose Les fleurs du mal is available online (with various English translations): http://fleursdumal.org/. Ronsard, Lamartine, Verlaine are also worth a look.

Theatre:
Comedy: Molière (My fave is Le Bourgeois gentilhomme
Tragedy: Racine (Andromaque and Phèdre are good)

For something more modern you might like to look into the theatre of the Absurd (Inoesco etc.) or Sartre's plays (Huis clos, Les séquestrés d'Altona)

Novels:
Short stories by Maupassant and Flaubert.
Candide by Voltaire
Madame Bovary by Flaubert
Le grand Meaulnes is a classic of French literature and reasonably accessible.

I read Les liaisons dangereuses in yr13, though it was a bit hard for me at the time.

You could also perhaps try some non-fiction like the philosophical writings of Rousseau or Voltaire.

You in no means have to read anything near this number of books to get in, but these are just some suggestions.

p.s. If you have any further questions about French at Oxford, feel free to ask.

Phedre is so weird, I like it though!
Do you study French and Oxford then? I turned down a place on a French/Chinese course at Oxford, always wondered what it would be like!
qwertyuiop1993
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TheBigJosh)
Phedre is so weird, I like it though!
Do you study French and Oxford then? I turned down a place on a French/Chinese course at Oxford, always wondered what it would be like!
Yeah, Racinian theatre often requires you to suspend disbelief. It's highly stylised and not what you'd call particularly realistic.

Yeah, I study French at Ox. It's intense and really interesting, though not everyone's cup of tea (Mainly because of the literature focus).
TheBigJosh
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by qwertyuiop1993)
Yeah, Racinian theatre often requires you to suspend disbelief. It's highly stylised and not what you'd call particularly realistic.

Yeah, I study French at Ox. It's intense and really interesting, though not everyone's cup of tea (Mainly because of the literature focus).
That's the reason I turned it down Too much literature!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (46)
41.07%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
18.75%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (6)
5.36%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
8.93%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (9)
8.04%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (8)
7.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (12)
10.71%

Watched Threads