Failing a course outside of an offer.

Watch this thread
Dreban
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
#1
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
#1
This might be a silly question but I really need reassurance.

In my personal statement I said I was going to self study an additional subject at AS and enter for the exams this year. Which is what I have done. However I feel as though the added stress is being detrimental to my study at the moment, to the extent that I just want to forget about it entirely and concentrate on my A levels, I want nothing more than to get into University, and every time I think about this extra subject it just stresses me out.

Originally I entered for the exams only because I had put it on my personal statement and felt that failing to enter might be reason to lose my offers.

My UCAS offer from my firm and insurance choices both explicitly state "GCE grades AAA including Maths and Physics". I just want to know if there's any risk to simply not turning up to the exams? Is it the right thing to do?
0
reply
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
#2
Report 8 years ago
#2
you would be better off turning up to the exam and simply not bothering. That way you will get a proper mark for the exam but it will be a "fail" mark.

Technically if you say you're going to sit and exam and then don't turn up or drop the exam then you're changing the content of your application and a university *could* withdraw an offer (it's unlikely but possible). Whereas if you sit the exams you say and fail then if they're not in your offer conditions then your application is unchanged and your offers still stand.
0
reply
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
#3
Report 8 years ago
#3
If you decide not to do the AS you must formally withdraw from the exam - not just fail to turn up. You must then inform the Universities where you hold offers - even if the AS isn't part of the offer. You must also inform UCAS.

If you don't do all of this then this could hold up the confirmation of your Offer(s) even if it isnt part of the offer, if they are trying to match offers and results, and there is something 'missing' it adds another glitch/hold up to the system.
0
reply
Dreban
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
#4
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
#4
(Original post by returnmigrant)
If you decide not to do the AS you must formally withdraw from the exam - not just fail to turn up. You must then inform the Universities where you hold offers - even if the AS isn't part of the offer. You must also inform UCAS.

If you don't do all of this then this could hold up the confirmation of your Offer(s) even if it isnt part of the offer, if they are trying to match offers and results, and there is something 'missing' it adds another glitch/hold up to the system.
Would you agree with the poster above you that it would be safer to simply show up and fail then?
0
reply
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
#5
Report 8 years ago
#5
Why bother? Just phone the Exam Board and cancel your entry in the exam.
0
reply
username944192
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
#6
Report 8 years ago
#6
You must be right on the brink of sitting these exams now - if you've studied for it through the year, why not just turn up and do your best? You might do better than you think. No point bottling it at the last minute, a couple of months ago sure but it seems a shame to waste your hard work. Even if you get an E, it's still another passed AS level under your belt. And it's really not hard to get an E, so I would advise you just give it a go seeing as you've studied for it somewhat and paid for it.
0
reply
Dreban
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
#7
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
#7
(Original post by returnmigrant)
Why bother? Just phone the Exam Board and cancel your entry in the exam.
Ok this to me sounds like the better option. However I suppose I will have to contact both my firm and insurance offers asking them to confirm withdrawal from those exams won't effect my offer, and even then, what if they decide it does effect my offer? That would backfire quite badly.

Thanks for the advice thus far though, I will speak about it with my tutor tomorrow.
0
reply
Rednekk
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
#8
Report 8 years ago
#8
(Original post by Dreban)
Ok this to me sounds like the better option. However I suppose I will have to contact both my firm and insurance offers asking them to confirm withdrawal from those exams won't effect my offer, and even then, what if they decide it does effect my offer? That would backfire quite badly.

Thanks for the advice thus far though, I will speak about it with my tutor tomorrow.
You're not listening. Just withdrawing your entry might compromise the conditions upon which you were given your offer in the first place. The universities would have grounds to withdraw your application if they so wished.
0
reply
Dreban
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
#9
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
#9
(Original post by Rednekk)
You're not listening. Just withdrawing your entry might compromise the conditions upon which you were given your offer in the first place. The universities would have grounds to withdraw your application if they so wished.
How does my post suggest I misunderstood the person I replied to?

Withdraw from exams after informing universities and having confirmation my offers will remain intact. Either that or turn up and get U's. Those seem to be my options, no?
0
reply
Rednekk
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
#10
Report 8 years ago
#10
(Original post by Dreban)
How does my post suggest I misunderstood the person I replied to?

Withdraw from exams after informing universities and having confirmation my offers will remain intact. Either that or turn up and get U's. Those seem to be my options, no?
I just read the first sentence of your post and replied.
0
reply
Rednekk
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
#11
Report 8 years ago
#11
(Original post by Dreban)
How does my post suggest I misunderstood the person I replied to?

Withdraw from exams after informing universities and having confirmation my offers will remain intact. Either that or turn up and get U's. Those seem to be my options, no?
But um, I guess this could work if they feel like the additional AS didn't really influence their decision to give you the offer. But I doubt it because then it would more or less tantamount to a lie.
0
reply
tenkaday
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
#12
Report 8 years ago
#12
(Original post by Dreban)
This might be a silly question but I really need reassurance.

In my personal statement I said I was going to self study an additional subject at AS and enter for the exams this year. Which is what I have done. However I feel as though the added stress is being detrimental to my study at the moment, to the extent that I just want to forget about it entirely and concentrate on my A levels, I want nothing more than to get into University, and every time I think about this extra subject it just stresses me out.

Originally I entered for the exams only because I had put it on my personal statement and felt that failing to enter might be reason to lose my offers.

My UCAS offer from my firm and insurance choices both explicitly state "GCE grades AAA including Maths and Physics". I just want to know if there's any risk to simply not turning up to the exams? Is it the right thing to do?
Turn up and go to sleep. Formally withdrawing and not turning up could both result in your offers being withdrawn because of the change in your application.
0
reply
Dreban
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
#13
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
#13
(Original post by Rednekk)
I just read the first sentence of your post and replied.
No worries.
0
reply
Rednekk
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
#14
Report 8 years ago
#14
(Original post by Dreban)
How does my post suggest I misunderstood the person I replied to?

Withdraw from exams after informing universities and having confirmation my offers will remain intact. Either that or turn up and get U's. Those seem to be my options, no?
Get the U if you feel very confident that you'll make the AAA that they're asking for. Just bear in mind that if you can't make the triple A then having an extra AS at a B or something could help you still get in.
0
reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Reply
new posts
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (277)
42.1%
The paper was reasonable (271)
41.19%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
9.12%
It was TERRIBLE (50)
7.6%

Watched Threads

View All