The Student Room Group

To do or not to do?

Hey guys. I hope everyone did well in their exams!

I did pretty well for my standards and was pleased overall with my results. I managed to get 1's in all the subjects I'm taking next year except for Maths. Now here's the question:

Do you think I should be taking Int 2 or Higher next year with a 2/2. Now I know it's possible to take Maths at either level, I am wondering what the chances are of me attaining a decent grade? I have heard many a-tale of people failing subjects and am pretty worried of this prospect.
Reply 1
Hmm...

I think most people aren't replying to this because its something you really have to decide for yourself. Have you consulted your teacher? What do you want to do at university and will you need 5 Highers for it?

You could always attempt Higher Unit 1 then drop down a level if you struggle with it...
Reply 2
For my SG's I got a 2/2 in Maths and I was failing all year (Passed My Nabs first time but the A/B Test killed me and my general work in class), for my prelim I got a 35% and I was told to drop the course but I decided that I wanted to stay in the course and I worked really hard and I got a B in my higher Maths. So I'm still chuffed.
Reply 3
I've just finished the Intermediate 2 Maths course and I don't think there's any point in you doing it if you got a 2/2 in SG. If you do it, I think you'll find it very repetitive as it's almost exactly the same as SG (from what i've been told) and is ridiculously easy for an Intermediate 2 subject.

On the other hand, Higher Maths, from what i've done of it so far, is a BIG step up from Intermediate 2 (and therefore SG) and so you have to keep on top of the work if you want to do well.

If you're willing to work consistently hard throughout the year - do higher maths, if not - do Int 2.

Hope that Helps.:smile:
it is very true about intermediate 2 work being similar or the same as credit standard grade work. In my school i was lucky to get the best maths teacher and although i put in very little effort for revision i came out with a 2/2 but i decided to not continue it as i really hated maths by this point! If u need it for Uni or college courses then go for it, u can resit it in 6th year if needs be, u are better to resit a higher if u are able to take a shot at it than do an int 2 then move to higher because it is the easier option. If u fail and have passed your nabs, it wont be so hard second time round as u wont have to sit nabs! Whatever you do make sure u put in the work cos maths needs alot of time and effort!
Reply 5
i did my intermediate 2 in 3rd year and found it a easy but the higher is much hardered. People that got A in intermediate 2 are finding the higher course though. It is a big jump.
Reply 6
Intermediate 2 maths is pretty much credit so whether you did standard grade or int 2 makes no difference really.
Reply 7
Eh, I got into my class on a 2/4 for maths (appealed to 2/3) and I ended up passing Higher (albeit with a C, but meh). So yeah, I don't see why not to do higher.

Latest

Trending

Trending