Bonafide
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
When does acceptance by email become effective?
Revel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Electronic acceptance takes effect as soon as it is received. Therefore, the Postal Rule does not apply.
The case, I believe, is Entores v Miles Far Eastern Co.
Maura Kat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Bonafide)
(Original post by Revel)
Electronic acceptance takes effect as soon as it is received. Therefore, the Postal Rule does not apply.
instances that involves instantaneous communication will not fall under the scope of the postal rule.
Revel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Maura Kat)
instances that involves instantaneous communication will not fall under the scope of the postal rule.
That's what I just said..
tehforum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Bonafide)
See Thomas v BPE Solicitors.
Theflyingbarney
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Emails just have to arrive in order to constitute acceptance (e.g. Brinkibon v Stahag Stahl), but if they arrive outside of normal business hours then acceptance takes place at the resumption of business (Mondial Shipping v Astarte Shipping - so if you're dealing with a company that only works Monday-Friday, and you email them on Saturday, acceptance takes place when they open again on Monday).
Ashna.R
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Revel)
This answer is wrong. In the case of Entores v Miles Far East Corp (1955) the communication was sent by telex not email. Electronic acceptance does not take effect when received, it takes effect when the parties intend it to be accepted by reference to sound business practise having regard to where the risks between the parties may lie...
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ashna.R)
This answer is wrong. In the case of Entores v Miles Far East Corp (1995) the communication was sent by telex not email. Electronic acceptance does not take effect when received, it takes effect when the parties intend it to be accepted by reference to sound business practise having regard to where the risks between the parties may lie...
Well, we all make mistakes and the other poster was three years younger when they posted this. Cut them some slack.

Also the Entores course featured Denning, so probably not from 1995.
Ashna.R
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
Well, we all make mistakes and the other poster was three years younger when they posted this. Cut them some slack.

Also the Entores course featured Denning, so probably not from 1995.
1955** my bad, and I know I wasn't trying to attack them I was just trying to correct them! 😭
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (250)
57.34%
I don't have everything I need (186)
42.66%

Watched Threads