The Student Room Group

Applying to Nottingham University - but which stream of nursing?!

Hi guys

I'm planning on applying to study Learning Disability Nursing at Nottingham Uni next year. I originally wanted to study Paramedic Science at Sheffield but have decided that financially it would break me and at 34 I want to take on as little as possible in terms of student loans. I've had a career in learning disabilities for about 8 years now so I'm thinking that Learning Disability Nursing is the way to go, however after attending an open day at Nottingham I'm slightly concerned about the career prospects. It seems a large number of previous students now work in the private sector due to lack of learning disability jobs in the NHS. Although I don't want to let this put me off, it is slightly and I'm now torn between applying for Learning Disability Nursing and Adult Nursing as the career prospects for Adult Nurses seem much more vast.

Does anyone know if it's acceptable to apply for more than one stream of nursing within the same university or whether this would be viewed negatively?

Many thanks

Hannah
Reply 1
Original post by Montana1980
Hi guys

I'm planning on applying to study Learning Disability Nursing at Nottingham Uni next year. I originally wanted to study Paramedic Science at Sheffield but have decided that financially it would break me and at 34 I want to take on as little as possible in terms of student loans. I've had a career in learning disabilities for about 8 years now so I'm thinking that Learning Disability Nursing is the way to go, however after attending an open day at Nottingham I'm slightly concerned about the career prospects. It seems a large number of previous students now work in the private sector due to lack of learning disability jobs in the NHS. Although I don't want to let this put me off, it is slightly and I'm now torn between applying for Learning Disability Nursing and Adult Nursing as the career prospects for Adult Nurses seem much more vast.

Does anyone know if it's acceptable to apply for more than one stream of nursing within the same university or whether this would be viewed negatively?

Many thanks

Hannah

Generally, it would be a lot better if you could settle your mind on one branch of nursing as this will make it easier for you to write your personal statement and show the university that you have your mind set on nursing, as they want to see people who really know what they want to do.

Since most of your experience is with learning disability, this would put you in a much better stance to get a place on an LD nursing course than an adult nursing course. Competition is rife for these places. Having said that, there are more adult nursing places out there than learning disability.
As you have so much experience in LD, I think you'd be in with a good chance of getting an NHS post after graduating - I doubt that most LD nursing students have eight years of relevant work behind them! So I think the best thing would be to ask yourself which branch of nursing you'd enjoy most, and go with that.

In your position I'd do LD nursing, every time. I worked in a residential college for people with LDs, many of whom had additional severe physical health problems, and I saw what a huge difference it could make to their care when we turned up at A&E and a learning disability nurse was on the scene. One reason why there are fewer jobs available in learning disability nursing is because unfortunately people with LD aren't always seen as a priority, not because there isn't any need for specially trained nurses. Committed and caring people can maybe change that, at least a little.

Quick Reply

Latest