misagro
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Anyone doing MSc Psychology course next year? Or anyone from the course to share experience? I'm exicted Thanks!
susanalbumparty
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by misagro)
Anyone doing MSc Psychology course next year? Or anyone from the course to share experience? I'm exicted Thanks!
What MSc are you doing? I need to apply for something for next year...
cbrown90
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by misagro)
I've got an offer from Swansea to do Abnormal and Clinical Psychology MSc and from KCL to do Mental Health Studies MSc. Still deciding on which to go for.
What psychology MSc are you doing and where?
kate03
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,

I'm just coming towards the end of my MSc in Abnormal & Clinical Psychology at Swansea. If you have any questions about the course feel free to ask
cbrown90
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kate03)
Hi,

I'm just coming towards the end of my MSc in Abnormal & Clinical Psychology at Swansea. If you have any questions about the course feel free to ask
Hi Kate, how have you found the course and do you consider Swansea to be a good uni? Also have you been able to work part time or get a placement at all whilst doing the course?
Thanks!
kate03
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cbrown90)
Hi Kate, how have you found the course and do you consider Swansea to be a good uni? Also have you been able to work part time or get a placement at all whilst doing the course?
Thanks!
Hi there,

I was able to gain an Honorary Assistant Psychologist post as a direct result of the Masters in Swansea, which has been really helpful in consolidating the research experience I had got previously to the Masters. I'll be starting on the Clinical Psychology Doctorate in September and I think that the experience and knowledge gained on the Masters was instrumental in getting me this place. I was also able to do a part time job (unrelated to psychology) to get an income, and although the workload was high between March-May, the rest of the year has been more than manageable (and to be honest, if I hadn't left everything until the last minute between March and May, it would have being much more manageable anyway!).

In terms of the University and staff, I've really enjoyed my time there. I did my undergraduate degree in Cardiff, and in many ways found the set up in Swansea to be better. You are taught a broad range of areas, from Psychotherapy through to Pharmacology for Clinical Psychologists, through to stats (can't escape them!) and for me it's felt as though the emphasis has been on showing us how these relate in an applied setting...we're not just taught the facts but also given an idea as to how this would translate into practice. Some modules have been better at this than others, but overall I'd recommend the course. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Best of luck whatever you decide
cbrown90
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kate03)
Hi there,

I was able to gain an Honorary Assistant Psychologist post as a direct result of the Masters in Swansea, which has been really helpful in consolidating the research experience I had got previously to the Masters. I'll be starting on the Clinical Psychology Doctorate in September and I think that the experience and knowledge gained on the Masters was instrumental in getting me this place. I was also able to do a part time job (unrelated to psychology) to get an income, and although the workload was high between March-May, the rest of the year has been more than manageable (and to be honest, if I hadn't left everything until the last minute between March and May, it would have being much more manageable anyway!).

In terms of the University and staff, I've really enjoyed my time there. I did my undergraduate degree in Cardiff, and in many ways found the set up in Swansea to be better. You are taught a broad range of areas, from Psychotherapy through to Pharmacology for Clinical Psychologists, through to stats (can't escape them!) and for me it's felt as though the emphasis has been on showing us how these relate in an applied setting...we're not just taught the facts but also given an idea as to how this would translate into practice. Some modules have been better at this than others, but overall I'd recommend the course. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Best of luck whatever you decide
Well done on getting a place on the doctorate course! Where did u manage to get the Assistant Psychology post? I'm really hoping to get relevant work experience whilst doing the course!
Thanks for all the info!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.87%
It's just nice to be back! (166)
27.21%
Not great so far... (218)
35.74%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.18%

Watched Threads