The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

UOB first year - happy to answer any questions!

I'm really bored and i'm sure lots of you have questions which I'd be happy to answer very honestly! I'm studying Law with French so I can answer more specific questions on that and I'm international!

Ask away...
Reply 1
Original post by tropical_girl
I'm really bored and i'm sure lots of you have questions which I'd be happy to answer very honestly! I'm studying Law with French so I can answer more specific questions on that and I'm international!

Ask away...

Hi, I have already accepted UoB as my firm choice with an unconditional offer. I am waiting for my CAS. Do you know when I'll receive it and when I will be able to apply for my visa the earliest?
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by AbdulRI
Hi, I have already accepted UoB as my firm choice with an unconditional offer. I am waiting for my CAS. Do you know when I'll receive it and when I will be able to apply for my visa the earliest?

I received my CAS statement in August but it was my firm choice with a conditional offer. I would recommend that you call up UOB admissions or send them an email requesting the CAS statement - they're likely to give it you sooner then which will obviously aid you in applying for your visa. Where do you live at the moment? x
Reply 3
How easy is it to make friends outside your course? :redface:
Reply 4
I received my CAS statement in August but it was my firm choice with a conditional offer. I would recommend that you call up UOB admissions or send them an email requesting the CAS statement - they're likely to give it you sooner then which will obviously aid you in applying for your visa. Where do you live at the moment? x

I'm from Sri Lanka so it's a bit of a hassle in obtaining a visa to the UK. I was forced to take a gap year last year since I wasn't able to obtain my visa on time, so I don't want to risk anything this year.
Original post by AbdulRI
I'm from Sri Lanka so it's a bit of a hassle in obtaining a visa to the UK. I was forced to take a gap year last year since I wasn't able to obtain my visa on time, so I don't want to risk anything this year.

Yeah I would mention that when talking to the administrative staff but I genuinely cannot see any reason why they would not be able to provide you with a CAS statement ASAP. In addition, get all your documents for the visa ready before so you can apply as soon as you get the CAS statement. :smile:
Original post by TheBBQ
How easy is it to make friends outside your course? :redface:

Hi! Quite easy depending on where you'd be living/your course? The most common way to make friends outside your course is obviously with people you live with - this is why it is really important to be in a nice, social accommodation! It is also luck - you could be really lucky and get on well with all your flatmates or you could not get on at all! However, it's definitely not too hard - you'll make friends and they'll introduce you to their friends and slowly your social circle will expand. A great way to make non-course friends is by joining lots of societies and activities - for example, by joining a sports team, an extra language class, dance, rocksoc, etc. Find a society that caters to your interests and join it, you'll meet loads of people! TBH first year is a bit of a toss up, you could start being close to very few people and make loads of friends in term 2, get on with people instantly, or still be finding your way in second year... its a journey and you will definitely make friends and slowly, your friends will evolve and you'll find your place. :smile:
Reply 7
Yeah I would mention that when talking to the administrative staff but I genuinely cannot see any reason why they would not be able to provide you with a CAS statement ASAP. In addition, get all your documents for the visa ready before so you can apply as soon as you get the CAS statement. :smile:

Thanks for the information. Yes I've got all the documents in order and it's the CAS that's keeping me waiting. Hopefully I can apply soon.
Reply 8
Hi! Quite easy depending on where you'd be living/your course? The most common way to make friends outside your course is obviously with people you live with - this is why it is really important to be in a nice, social accommodation! It is also luck - you could be really lucky and get on well with all your flatmates or you could not get on at all! However, it's definitely not too hard - you'll make friends and they'll introduce you to their friends and slowly your social circle will expand. A great way to make non-course friends is by joining lots of societies and activities - for example, by joining a sports team, an extra language class, dance, rocksoc, etc. Find a society that caters to your interests and join it, you'll meet loads of people! TBH first year is a bit of a toss up, you could start being close to very few people and make loads of friends in term 2, get on with people instantly, or still be finding your way in second year... its a journey and you will definitely make friends and slowly, your friends will evolve and you'll find your place. :smile:

Thanks. I've applied for various accommodation and I've got done physics. At the open day the people around me were very awkward I felt so out of place...so I figure it would be better to make friends outside the course :redface: all the accommodation I've gone for is shared, no en suite.. will definitely be joining various societies! :biggrin:
Hopefully I get it right in the first year :tongue:
Reply 9
Hi, I would also like to find out if the accommodation and environment is better in Pritchatt's House or Selly Oak than the Vale?
Original post by TheBBQ
Thanks. I've applied for various accommodation and I've got done physics. At the open day the people around me were very awkward I felt so out of place...so I figure it would be better to make friends outside the course :redface: all the accommodation I've gone for is shared, no en suite.. will definitely be joining various societies! :biggrin:
Hopefully I get it right in the first year :tongue:

Hahaha yeah, I know some physicists... they're lovely but its definitely NOT a social course and people are quite socially awkward from what i've heard. From what i gather most of them only work and very few of them go out etc with other people from the course so you will definitely need to make friends outside of your course if you want a good social life tbh! That's really good! Which accommodation did you apply to? Societies and lots of socials + a good set of flatmates is the way to go :biggrin: x
Original post by AbdulRI
Hi, I would also like to find out if the accommodation and environment is better in Pritchatt's House or Selly Oak than the Vale?

Hi! TBH I have only lived on the vale so I cannot really tell you about Pritchatts. As a first year, pritchatts and the vale are much better than selly oak which is the main domain of the second and third years - there are few to no freshers in selly! it is a student area so it could still be fun but the likelihood of you meeting many other first years is not very high if you live in selly oak. In pritchatts, pritchatt's house is meant to be the ****test accommodation but oakley and ashcroft are meant to be really nice! As for the vale, i love it! It's beautiful! But even on the vale, you need to choose tactically and hope you get on with your flatmates. It is the best in terms of most freshers living on the vale though - good for pres, meeting up with course mates, etc.
I recommend going for a shared bathroom flat on the vale personally, consider TC or Maple Bank! Elgar is nicer rooms and more quiet + self catered, Mason is posh and spacious but also ensuite and has the tendency to not be as social and the same could be said of shackleton (which, however, is right above the hub so good location!)
Reply 12
Hahaha yeah, I know some physicists... they're lovely but its definitely NOT a social course and people are quite socially awkward from what i've heard. From what i gather most of them only work and very few of them go out etc with other people from the course so you will definitely need to make friends outside of your course if you want a good social life tbh! That's really good! Which accommodation did you apply to? Societies and lots of socials + a good set of flatmates is the way to go :biggrin: x

Exactly that's my plan, make friends outside my course!
I've applied for Oakley court, Pritchatts house, Elgar Court, Jarrat Hall, Ashcroft, and Shackleton in that order. :tongue:
Reply 13
Hi! TBH I have only lived on the vale so I cannot really tell you about Pritchatts. As a first year, pritchatts and the vale are much better than selly oak which is the main domain of the second and third years - there are few to no freshers in selly! it is a student area so it could still be fun but the likelihood of you meeting many other first years is not very high if you live in selly oak. In pritchatts, pritchatt's house is meant to be the ****test accommodation but oakley and ashcroft are meant to be really nice! As for the vale, i love it! It's beautiful! But even on the vale, you need to choose tactically and hope you get on with your flatmates. It is the best in terms of most freshers living on the vale though - good for pres, meeting up with course mates, etc.
I recommend going for a shared bathroom flat on the vale personally, consider TC or Maple Bank! Elgar is nicer rooms and more quiet + self catered, Mason is posh and spacious but also ensuite and has the tendency to not be as social and the same could be said of shackleton (which, however, is right above the hub so good location!)

Thank you :smile: My first two choices of accommodation are Tennis Courts and Maple Bank, both shared bathroom. Hopefully I'll be able to get accommodation there with a good group of people!
Hi! (: I'm an international student as well, and I'd like to ask you something about the term dates. Since I'll be booking a plane ticket to Birmingham and I intend to return home for Christmas, I need to know in advance when Christmas vacation starts. It says on the website that for 2014 school year December 12th is when the Autumn Term ends - End of Teaching and Learning Period for Semester 1.
Does that mean that I won't be required to be at the uni after December 12th?
Reply 15
Hey, I was just wondering what is the best way for transport, I have a railcard but is a bus pass worth it :smile: like which is the easiest way and cheapest to get around :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending