This discussion is closed.
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I suppose it boils down to the question of whether the board would be better off, or worse off is the reputation system ceased to be anonymous.

I personally think the positives out weigh the negatives. It is quite clear I'm not alone in thinking that. But it's not going to change so I suppose it'll be a case of continuing to grin and deal with it.
llama boy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
OK, firstly it should be abolished.

Secondly, if it is to exist unabused (although this board has proven itself incapable of that feat) then NO ONE should know who repped them. Not positive rep, not negative rep, not by PM, not over MSN.

It is meant to measure contributions, genuine helpfulness, whatever, not horse trading or petty vendettas.
Daveo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I know exactly what you mean. I always sign my rep be it positive or negative. It frustrates me to see negative rep when I don't know who it is from and it also frustrates me when I get postive rep and there is no comment.
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Tednol)
As I have been given negative rep in the past for simply saying something which someone disagreed with, I have to disagree. Anonymous rep is no better than shouting an insult at someone, and then hiding when that person turns around.
you confuse me...surly you've only had 4 neg reps? unless one of the 5 you've had today was negative?

love Katy ***
byb3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
my last 4 have all been negative, 20 before that were all green tho!

adam
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I got neg rep'd for some light hearted comment, the person didn't sign it either. But i worked it out quite easily by looking at the suspects and i know who it is. So be afraid
byb3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
I got neg rep'd for some light hearted comment, the person didn't sign it either. But i worked it out quite easily by looking at the suspects and i know who it is. So be afraid
i think ive only ever neg repped somebody once, i hardly ever give out rep anyway, seems kind of pointless.
ickle_katy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by byb3)
my last 4 have all been negative, 20 before that were all green tho!

adam

so you too have nothing to worry about, its when your getting all red and no green you got to start thinking your doing something wrong. i find that people who dont leave a message with their neg rep are usually just doing it to be nasty.

love Katy ***
byb3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ickle_katy)
so you too have nothing to worry about, its when your getting all red and no green you got to start thinking your doing something wrong. i find that people who dont leave a message with their neg rep are usually just doing it to be nasty.

love Katy ***
who said anything about worrying?

Adam
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i find that people who dont leave a message with their neg rep are usually just doing it to be nasty.

love Katy ***
You are correct in your assumption. People normanlly do that, to neg rep the person, not the posts they make.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by piginapoke)
But what are we here but the sum of the posts we make?
-Your personality
-Your reputation
-And yes, your post count
ickle_katy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
You are correct in your assumption. People normanlly do that, to neg rep the person, not the posts they make.

yeah, you should know :rolleyes:

love Katy ***
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
-Your personality
-Your reputation
-And yes, your post count
I would like to think most UKL members are perspicacious enough to not take reputation/post count into account when judging a member. I certainly am.

Post content is the only guide!
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by piginapoke)
I have noticed my random and ill-informed comments mysteriously carry more weight now than when I was [more of] a newbie.
Possibly because we can remember your previous random and ill-informed comments and it becomes easier to connect the name and the post. If I was a new member and I came to the site today, I wouldn't take extra notice of anything you said just because you had 4000+ posts.
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
you confuse me...surly you've only had 4 neg reps? unless one of the 5 you've had today was negative?

love Katy ***
It's the principal, not the quantity.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I dont mind anonymous rep I just like to have a comment. I hate it if you get grey and I cant work out if it was meant to be pos or neg. Put a comment people even if its only I hate you or you're a *****. At least then I know where I stand.
iiikewldude
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
has anyone ever wondered if the narbs always rep each other? I will have had to stop a bit now the sites been changed.
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by iiikewldude)
has anyone ever wondered if the narbs always rep each other? I will have had to stop a bit now the sites been changed.
what's a narb?
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Gimp)
I would like to think most UKL members are perspicacious enough to not take reputation/post count into account when judging a member. I certainly am.

Post content is the only guide!
Well personally, i am, but i think that it is too much to ask from a few people.
Ditzy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
what's a narb?
A couple of members, I'masillynarb, and Sillynarb2 (or something to that effect)
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (167)
19.2%
Labour (443)
50.92%
Liberal Democrats (117)
13.45%
Green Party (49)
5.63%
Brexit Party (13)
1.49%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.46%
SNP (15)
1.72%
Plaid Cymru (4)
0.46%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
0.69%
SDLP (1)
0.11%
Ulster Unionist (4)