This discussion is closed.
Mr White
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Can anyone tell me how important it is to have decent GCSE grades at university? Would a university reject you even if you had AAAA at A-level but awful GCSE marks? I'd be grateful for any insight.

Sincerely,
GC White
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
they wil only rejejct pple who ofefnd pple and are hooked on S&M
Mr White
Rep:
?
I asked an honest question for God's sake! What is it with you people?
mensandan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The chances are if you have top A level grades you will get in on that alone. If loads of people have the same grades (too many) then I imagine that they will go on your interview (if you go to one). Then finally they would look at your GCSE grades.

This is assuming you got C or better in Maths, English Lang and Sciences. Which I am sure you did. I suppose GCSE could be important in a relevant subject but I 'm guessing now. Good luck with medicine Mr White
Mr White
Rep:
?
Thank You Mensanden. (At least somebody here is civil)
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
if u go to an interview. they will definetly know that ur are "THE S&M GUY" so they will never let you in.HAHAHAHA and u offend too many pple anyway
vetgirl
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
GCSE grades will matter for a medicine degree, but if you have straight A's at A level i am sure they will accept you. However, if you drop a grade then your GCSE results, AS results and interview performance will be taken into account. It will also depend on everyone elses grades who have been giving offers. Where you going to study medicine? I'm going to the Royal Vet College in London to study Veterinary Medicine.
texan trucker
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
if u already have A-level grades.. they couldnt give a **** bout ur gcse's.. they look at those, to determine ur potential... but seein as u proved ur potential by gettin 450 A's .. who need GCSE's
Petrozzi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
^ what he said

And Good Luck Mr White.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
however if your school/college doesnt certificate your AS's ie.you can resit them, then all the uni's have to go on is the usually dodgy predicted grades and your gcses.

hence two friends both predicted 3 As, similar london uni law choices, both lovely charming girls same background etc, one had 11 A*s and got all her offers, the other one who got good but not great gcses - mixture of A*s, A's and B's - only got one offer.

they matter more than you would think.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
however if your school/college doesnt certificate your AS's ie.you can resit them, then all the uni's have to go on is the usually dodgy predicted grades and your gcses.
Well no, cos you still have to put your AS grades on the UCAS form, so they do see those. This is what we had to do anyway and college only have the subject that you dropped (if any) certificated.
Guest Rob
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
If you have evidence of AS/A2 performance on your UCAS statement, most universities will just expect passes of C and above in essential subjects.

Remember, you are meant to be learning. If your grades go up significantly between GCSE and A level, you are learning faster than the expected rate and you'll probably be seen as having good potential.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
you gotta have c in english to go to uni.

Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
for medicine the trend seems to be...

Good GCSEs get you an interview

Good A levels get you into the school,

and a Good personality will make you great at it when you get there...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (260)
33.81%
No (509)
66.19%

Watched Threads