Neverme
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I am in Year 12 thinking about applying for Medicine for 2015 entry.
I'm very worried about my lack of work experience.
So far all I have done is one week at a neuroscience research lab.
This summer I am volunteering for one week at Vitalise (holiday centre for disabled people and carers) and doing 4 days at a medical centre in London. I may also volunteer for one or two weeks at a summer camp for children with learning and social disabilities.
I have tried to find more but it is extremely difficult as I live abroad and do not speak the language of the country I live in fluently.

My IGCSE grades were 10A* and 1A. I am currently predicted 44 in the IB.

I know that Oxford and Cambridge do not put a lot of emphasis on work experience. Are there any other medical schools which are known to care less about the amount of work experience, which I would have a higher chance of getting into?
Baronred
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
It is really more about what you learn from the work experience and how engaged you are in finding out what medicine entails from the good stuff to the bad stuff, so that's what you have to aim for as opposed to just getting lots of work experience.
It really is quality as opposed to quantity, besides when you come to writing your personal statement it's really hard getting a lot in anyways!

Hope that helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Medicine.Mentoring
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Neverme)
I am in Year 12 thinking about applying for Medicine for 2015 entry.
I'm very worried about my lack of work experience.
So far all I have done is one week at a neuroscience research lab.
This summer I am volunteering for one week at Vitalise (holiday centre for disabled people and carers) and doing 4 days at a medical centre in London. I may also volunteer for one or two weeks at a summer camp for children with learning and social disabilities.
I have tried to find more but it is extremely difficult as I live abroad and do not speak the language of the country I live in fluently.

My IGCSE grades were 10A* and 1A. I am currently predicted 44 in the IB.

I know that Oxford and Cambridge do not put a lot of emphasis on work experience. Are there any other medical schools which are known to care less about the amount of work experience, which I would have a higher chance of getting into?
It really is all about what you learn from the work experience, as Baronred said. People say you can never have too much, but aspects of your application like the BMAT and UKCAT are far more important than getting more work experience. What you have/will have sounds more than enough, provided that you learn something about yourself and your reasons to study Medicine.

From your experiences you should be able to think of times where you showed teamwork, leadership, patience, empathy etc., the qualities of a good doctor. If you can get some clinical experience it will help, but it isn't essential, especially given your situation. If possible, I would try to get something just for a couple of days in a hospital somewhere, but if you can't medical schools will understand.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to get in touch.

All the best,
Medicine Mentoring
http://www.medicinementoring.co.uk
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (24)
18.75%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (14)
10.94%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
7.03%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
17.19%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (33)
25.78%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
20.31%

Watched Threads