Higher National Diploma - HELP! Watch

tanusha-tomsk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hi,

Don't know if it's the right place to post this, sorry if not.

I might not be able to afford uni next year so I'm thinking (well, being forced to think) about doing HND for 2 years. It costs half of the uni fees (I'm international) and in the end I will get the status to go to uni on home fees.

Does anyone do an HND? The requirement is 4 GCSE passes, generally, well I have 4 A-Levels and not sure what kind of people would go to go HND. Post GCSE students or post A-Level students, or mature students (mothers etc).

Also, it says that a two-year HND allows entry into the second year at uni. I want to do Economics at uni, but there are not HND in Economics. There are Business Studies, Business Economics, Accounting, Finance, Management and the like, but I don't want to do any of them. I'm not interested in a career in this field, I'm doing economics because I find it amazing but I don't plan to go into Banking etc because it's not for me really. So if I don't do an economics related course, can I still get into the second year of economics degree? Probably not

I'm thinking that if I can't do Economics I might as well do something different, I was thinking about Childcare/Primary Education/Child Psycology because I absolutely adore children and I want to become a teacher. It would also be useful for when I have my own kids. What do you think about it?

Any alternatives to HND? I really really don't want to do 4 A-Levels again, because of the age thing - I'll be 18 and they'll be 16, that's a lot at this age, and all of my friends are moving away to uni /gap year placement. I can't get a job by the way, I have to be in full time education for 2 years, else I won't get the home status and will never go to uni . I can't travel either (and can't afford to) so no Gap year suggestions please.
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
HNDs are more advanced than A-levels so you wouldn't neccessarily be repeating yourself (it is roughly equivalent to 2nd year uni or a foundation degree programme). It is a BTEC qualification so will find that most people on the course have come up through the BTEC system not the traditional schooling system. There is no harm in doing this qualification (especially if it helps you out financially) and I know many people who have gone on to "top up" their HND to a full degree.
tanusha-tomsk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Thanks ChemistBoy! Do you know what kind of people do HNDs, age-wise?
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by tanusha-tomsk)
Thanks ChemistBoy! Do you know what kind of people do HNDs, age-wise?
Alsorts, but I should think it is people at the start of the careers mostly, around normal university age.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (170)
27.2%
No (455)
72.8%

Watched Threads