The Student Room Group

Mirena IUS - Advice/experiences

I currently have a copper IUD but Ive been considering switching to this as Ive been having an on going problem with my current one (its more irritating than anything but its something I cant be putting up with for the next four years, been ok with it otherwise). I know that it is less likely to have the negative side effects of other hormonal contraception, however I am a bit worried how I will react to it as I've never been on hormonal contraception before (I've had depression in the past so I'm a bit worried about setting it back off again).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by gemmam
I currently have a copper IUD but Ive been considering switching to this as Ive been having an on going problem with my current one (its more irritating than anything but its something I cant be putting up with for the next four years, been ok with it otherwise). I know that it is less likely to have the negative side effects of other hormonal contraception, however I am a bit worried how I will react to it as I've never been on hormonal contraception before (I've had depression in the past so I'm a bit worried about setting it back off again).

Posted from TSR Mobile

It would probably be worth arranging an appointment with your GP or local family planning service to discuss changing the coil. The IUS generally releases hormones locally to the lining of the womb so most women will have minimal general effects of hormones. Have you found that your depression has been triggered by hormones in the past?
Reply 2
Original post by gemmam

Posted from TSR Mobile

It would probably be worth arranging an appointment with your GP or local family planning service to discuss changing the coil. The IUS generally releases hormones locally to the lining of the womb so most women will have minimal general effects of hormones. Have you found that your depression has been triggered by hormones in the past?
Reply 3
Original post by randdom

I've never been on any hormonal contraception before so I can't say.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by gemmam

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok :smile:

It is definitely worth at least discussing it with your doctor if you aren't getting on with the copper IUD. I know quite a lot of people who have got on really well with it!
Reply 5
Original post by gemmam

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is definitely worth at least discussing it with your doctor if you aren't getting on with the copper IUD. I know quite a lot of people who have got on really well with it!
Reply 6
Original post by randdom

I spoke to a nurse about it at my local family clinic and she told me that Mirena can't have any of the side effects as the hormones are located, I don't believe that though I know it is less likely but not impossible. A few of my friends have/had it and had less problems with it than they did with the pill/implant/injection but I don't think any of them have ever had a history of depression as far as I know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I have a friend who had the IUS who said she bled for the first 5 months on it but has been fine since.I don't know what issue you're having with the copper coil but perhaps it would be worth trying the gynefix copper coil as it apparently has a much lower risk of side effects than the framed IUD. You may have to travel to get it so its a case of weighing up the pros and cons.

I have my eye on a new IUD called the IUB (intrauterine ball) thats not yet available but I'm hoping it will be when I next come to havng a coil fitted.
Reply 8
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
I have a friend who had the IUS who said she bled for the first 5 months on it but has been fine since.I don't know what issue you're having with the copper coil but perhaps it would be worth trying the gynefix copper coil as it apparently has a much lower risk of side effects than the framed IUD. You may have to travel to get it so its a case of weighing up the pros and cons.

I have my eye on a new IUD called the IUB (intrauterine ball) thats not yet available but I'm hoping it will be when I next come to havng a coil fitted.

I did actually look into getting gynefix however the place in Liverpool no longer does them. The one in St Helens still does but only for women living in that area now. I heard about the IUB to do you know when it is meant to be due out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gemmam
I did actually look into getting gynefix however the place in Liverpool no longer does them. The one in St Helens still does but only for women living in that area now. I heard about the IUB to do you know when it is meant to be due out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm struggling to find information about whenit will be available in the UK
Reply 10
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
I'm struggling to find information about whenit will be available in the UK

Thanks. I had a look myself I didn't find anything either. I heard that a new IUS called Jaydess has been released in the UK (its already available in America but called Skyla) which has fewer hormones than Mirena. I was looking into that to but my local family planning clinic haven't even heard of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest