This discussion is closed.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think being human, rather than the "I've conquered the world and it's all here on my UCAS Form" approach is a start.
zazy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by blissy)
I agree with that totally. And make sure you refer a lot to how you love the subject, tell them what you've read, and give the impression that A Levels aren't satisfying enough for you.

I re-read mine the other day, and for an ENglish student it was pretty straight-forward. It did the job though and I think clarity is far more important than trying to "show off" - you (as in, "one") would probably fail in being big and clever anyway! They want a blank canvas, not a cocky-little-know-it-all
I agree with you..That was my downfall.....
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by bono)
I think being human, rather than the "I've conquered the world and it's all here on my UCAS Form" approach is a start.
We read this great personal statement in English language last year, it was some guy going on about all these wonderful things he'd done, and how he basically had conquered the world. It got him a place as well! I guess it must have been for some type of English or creative course though, to get away with writing that!
lil-miss-happy
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
enthusiasm! dont go overboard, but i devoted bout half of my statement to my subject, to get across what i was interested in, and why i am so enthusiastic bout doing it. they basically want ppl who sound committed and who will want to work hard for their subject. i didnt start with a quote, but just a statement that didnt sound too bland, and led into why i wanted to study psych. its all good!
ogs
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I didn't have the first idea about writing my personal statement! i had received all these boring talks about include; extra cirricular, what you hope to gain out of uni etc ....
but when i finally got down to writting it i realised how dull it would be to follow the fomula!!!
so i decided to start writing about something that changed in me when i realised that i should study architecture... and the rest flowed on from there!!
I had one measly phrase on work experience... and a line on extra ciricular activities... the rest was about my experiences of architecture!

so what i'm trying to say is BE YOURSELF!!! because it's you that they'll meet at the interview... and if you have recreated yourself in the ps.. they'll know immediatley!

GOOD LUCK!

I got 5/5 offers including cambridge...
presebjenada
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
is started off my ps with sth like "after an international service project in thailand..." which i think is prob quite diff to what a lot of people start with.. beginning the ps with sth quirky and unusual is always a good start
Brown Patrick Bateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
How to make your statement stand out - OK this was a guy's Oxford not UCAS statement, but his UCAS was similar, saying he wanted to aspire to life on the dole, his chief hobby was hibernation etc. Quite risky, but got him 6 offers.
emma_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lucy)
Definitely! Also don't go crazy with the thesaurus - your PS should sound natural if you read it out loud.
Hehehe that kinda reminded me of that Friends episode where Joey is trying to write a letter to Monica and Chandler's adoption agency and goes crazy with the right click button chaning all the words.
hellokitty2
Report 15 years ago
[QUOTE=ogs]
I had one measly phrase on work experience... and a line on extra ciricular activities... the rest was about my experiences of architecture!
[QUOTE]

thanks, I think that was useful advice...I want to study law and I think I should be justifying my interest in the subject because at the end of the day that would motivate me to work harder and do well in the course, more so than my violin and netball playing.
petite1
Report 15 years ago
Is a ps really that important?

I just put in 2 sentences on how I started studying the subject 3 years ago (I'm doing a HND part-time) an on how I wanted to finish by obtaining a degree and I got final year offers from all 4 uni's I applied for...

So it seems to me that as long as our grades are good and you don't go out of your way to insult the admissions officer in your ps you should be all right with just putting a few lines down.....
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by petite1)
Is a ps really that important?

I just put in 2 sentences on how I started studying the subject 3 years ago (I'm doing a HND part-time) an on how I wanted to finish by obtaining a degree and I got final year offers from all 4 uni's I applied for...

So it seems to me that as long as our grades are good and you don't go out of your way to insult the admissions officer in your ps you should be all right with just putting a few lines down.....
It depends on the institution and course. Highly demanded places require fierce competition. You need to set yourself apart from all the other people with identical grades.
Mysticmin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by bono)
Damn, that's where my UCAS application went wrong...

Nah, i know there are people that actually do that Tutors must laugh at them...
Chris L
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I did the Pennine Way last Summer which is basically a 260 mile walk from Derbyshire to Scotland...applied for Geology and the admissions tutors seemed impressed, and I had a good half hour chat with one of them about, the interview was only supposed to be 10 minutes! lol
James_W
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Mysticmin)
Damn, that's where my UCAS application went wrong...

Nah, i know there are people that actually do that Tutors must laugh at them...
In my one, when I was writing it - I had a clear intention of making sure it was the sort of statement that wouldn't be laughed at.. I'm not a head boy with 101 interests - the only sports I do are rugby and boxing, I put down exactly what music I like and didn't bull**** them throughout it - I presented myself, and the Uni's could take it or leave it.
charlord
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
the main way to make ur personal statement stand out is literally to be urself. cheesy i know, but if u really want to to do that subject thats going to come through on paper.
My personal statement was pretty bog standard - "i always wanted to do history because..." and i ended up getting an interview at Cambridge and really good offers from Durham, Nottingham and York. I talked about trips id bene on, what other things interested me, what i liked about history, which particular historian i found intreesting, good books id read, extra curricular and jobs.
Of course, u may want to slightly tweak things - like, if u walk to school...that means u like 'outdoor pursuits' hehe
Chicken
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I had 3 interviews at 3 universities, and my PS was mentioned by the interviewers at 2 of them for standing out. When I came to my interview here, the first thing the interviewer said was "ah yes, I remember reading your personal statement when I read your application, it really stood out, was very good". I didn't write it in any fancy language at all, cos I don't speak like that and it sounds really false when I use fancy language, as being a science-y person, I use it all wrong. I also didn't waffle on about why I wanted to study chemistry, and didn't make any bull up about it being fascinating etc etc I just said that it interested me and I feel that a degree in it would be of benefit to me in regards to my intended career path. I also made sure I put as wide a range of extra curricular stuff in it as well (without making any of it up) so that I was percieved as quite a well rounded person (as I'm not the worlds biggest acedemic). Its well worth getting involved in these kind of activities throughout school, as when it comes to personal statements they are great to be able to put in (especially if you have space you need to fill), and you come across as an enthusiastic person, keen to get involved in things. Its not worth lying too much about these things, as you'll be easily caught out if they ask you about it (same with saying you've read loads of books when you haven't - I didn't include any chemistry related things I'd read as I hadn't read any, and only occasionally flicked through New Scientist if my science teacher had got a copy). The best thing to say is be yourself!
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Chicken)
The best thing to say is be yourself!
I tried to do that on my PS but my teacher wouldn't allow it on the reference, everything i said he overstated or just plain lied about. For example I would say I flicked through the economist occasionally and he would put "Is an avid reader of numerous financial publications including the economist". I never read the reference in the end but i bet it didn't sound anything like me at all.
James_W
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think sounding too much like yourself is a risk - it depends what type of admissions tutor is going to read it. I stuck to a clear and consise structure using language that I would never normally use.
Chicken
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by loftx)
I tried to do that on my PS but my teacher wouldn't allow it on the reference, everything i said he overstated or just plain lied about. For example I would say I flicked through the economist occasionally and he would put "Is an avid reader of numerous financial publications including the economist". I never read the reference in the end but i bet it didn't sound anything like me at all.
My head of sixth form was very encouraging, and while giving advice to people about their PS's he would never change huge chunks of them - he said that would just make it more his and not our work (however you were an Oxbridge candidate which may be something to do with your teacher changing yours). I didn't read all my reference, but it basically just said stuff about me more academically than what I'd put in my PS.
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Avoided using "I", instead used present participles
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (208)
49.29%
No (48)
11.37%
I'm not old enough (166)
39.34%

Watched Threads