What made your PS stand out? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Jonatan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by PublicSchoolAnn)
Did you have anything in your personal statement that really stood out in particular and made you really confident about it?
Thanks
Mine was probably pretty bad, and parts of it was eaven written in a comical tone. I got an offer from Cambridge though, so it was not completely wrong. Perhaps it was so bad that they realised I had written it pretty much without help I started out saying why I wanted to study in Britain and then why I liked Physics, the rest was pretty much teh usual stuff about what I do in my sparetime and what extracurricular stuff I have been involved in. Eaven forgot to mention I know 3 programming languages, so my PS was quite bad. I really think that it is the predicted grades that matter the most. the PS will merely tip you across the line.
MentallyIll
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Did you have anything in your personal statement that really stood out in particular and made you really confident about it?
Thanks

I started my personal statement with a vivid childhood memory of a bus ride I took with my mother when I was eight. I used this to discuss my interest in comparative culture and I was able to drop in a reference to an anthropological theory without sounding too cheesy. I thought this was a novel way of demonstrating that I was dying to learn stuff beyond A level. It was also quite a literary opening, quite different to the typical statement openings. In fact, sometimes when I read the opening para, I almost feel like I am about to read a short story.

I also think it is important to choose a specific area of the subject you wish to study, do some research in this area and perhaps highlight a controversial aspect of the topic and find a way of saying that you were particularly interested by it (and why). This demonstrates that you are really interested in tackling deep issues within your subject.
Faboba
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by MentallyIll)
I started my personal statement with a vivid childhood memory of a bus ride I took with my mother when I was eight.
That would make it stand out alright....
Hoofbeat
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Jonatan)
why I liked Physics
Are you a member of UKL Physics Society btw? just wondered as didnt c it in ur sig, but assumed u were. If not do u want to join?!
who_me
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The first thing the interviewer said with regard to my Personal Statement was "wow, you've done a lot - how have you managed to fit all that in to 19 years?"....I took that as complimentary, and she said she liked the fact that I showed enthusiasm for life in general, whilst at the same time being committed to my chosen area of study (Computer Science).
shing_a_ding
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
lots about out of school experiences as i went on a trip/project thing to norway to met other students from germany, norway and italy. also one of my teacher who has a english degree re-wrote it out for me.
Shushi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
is this really that important??
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Thanks
I was able to talk about my experiences of living in Riyadh for 9 years. I related that to economics (huge growth in 80's etc which I saw), and I put it some great anecdotes.

I at least knew that would make mine slightly original.
tammypotato
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Tednol)
I was able to talk about my experiences of living in Riyadh for 9 years. I related that to economics (huge growth in 80's etc which I saw), and I put it some great anecdotes.

I at least knew that would make mine slightly original.
lol i tlked about the fact i lived 16yrs in france n that i didnt speak english n still started ma alevel so i think it made a bit special too
zero101
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by loftx)
If I had to use a quote in mine it would be "In the long run, we're all dead." - A nice cheery start to the statment
yeah classic keynes quote..i like it
TheMutantGerbil
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I started by relating all the my A Level (and AS) subjects to my chosen degree - Law. So, my study of English and German have given my good knowledge of how language is constucted and used which is vital for the study of Law etc.
I'm pretty sure they like to see work experience as it goes along with the whole 'passion for the subject' thing. I shadowed a solicitor for just one day but I was able to say 'I arranged some work experience' (I didn't lie!) and I talked about visiting both the Crown and the Magistrates courts and how I observed barristers and court officials in their daily business which supported my interest in the subject.
I also made it clear that I was suitable for a career in law because of my confidence in speaking in front of others (drama) and my ability to work systematically etc.
Tamsin
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I know someone who started her personal statement for medicine with "Trust me, I'm going to be a doctor". Which I thought was quite clever, except apparently her interviewer started asking her about trust and ethics in the medical profession! :rolleyes: So don't write anything that might lead to awkward questioning in an interview.
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Tamsin)
I know someone who started her personal statement for medicine with "Trust me, I'm going to be a doctor".
Nice I don't think it's really a good idea to start with a quote or anything similar - admissions tutors read so many personal statements they've probably heard them all before now.
chidori
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The fact that I can speak 3 languages.
tammypotato
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by chidori)
The fact that I can speak 3 languages.
u traitor
Cellardore
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i was a bit cheesy i have put stuff for outdoor activites such as youth group, karate and areobics, how cool am i? :rolleyes:
john !!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I just wrote about why I liked physics... didn't try to do something to "make it stand out". I figured they read through hundreds of them trying to sound good and impressive, perhaps mine would stand out by being normal.
Momentum
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mik1a)
I just wrote about why I liked physics... didn't try to do something to "make it stand out". I figured they read through hundreds of them trying to sound good and impressive, perhaps mine would stand out by being normal.
Ahhh, the "I'm human" method. The best one in my opinion.
Chubb
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Think mine stood out (for Computer Science) becuase I but on the web addresses for a modification to a game that I made (involved re-writting the code). The thing is that its had something like 10,000 downloads so that obviously impressed them. I also wrote about winning a prize in a snowboarding competition (they like to know that you have a life you see - just don't go on about it for too long ).
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Chubb)
Think mine stood out (for Computer Science) becuase I but on the web addresses for a modification to a game that I made
I did the same and think it's a good idea to put URLs in your statement. Both my interviewers looked at the sites I made and talked about them in my interviews.

If your good at doing websites or have a program or piece of multimedia you want to show of it's a sneaky way of saying more about yourself and avoiding the word limit.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (295)
26.06%
Yes - they're famous (288)
25.44%