Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am planning to apply for a M.Phil in Economics for the year beginning 2007. Oxford offers a two-year course while Cambridge has a one-year course. Cambridge, however, does not accept Indian undergraduates straight into this course and asks them to do the Diploma first and then go on to the one-year M.Phil? Any suggestions which course should I prefer?

ReputationRep:
    All I can add is that the Oxford MPhil is much more highly regarded than the Cambridge MPhil (partly as Oxford now has a much better reputation in economics than Cambridge at postgrad and research and partly because the Oxford MPhil economics has always been seen as a particularly good masters degree, e.g. its graduates are frequently accepted onto the best US economics PhD courses which is not so much the case at Cambridge) so on these grounds I would recommend Oxford. Cambridge is still very good though but its main economics strength is it's excellent BA degree.

I think the best universities in the UK for postgrad economics would be:
    1) LSE
    2) Oxford
    3) Cambridge or Warwick or UCL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ivar)
    Cambridge, however, does not accept Indian undergraduates straight into this course and asks them to do the Diploma first and then go on to the one-year M.Phil? Any suggestions which course should I prefer?
    We had a thread you could search for in the postgraduate forum that dealt with this. The Oxford Economics MPhil is highly competitive, I think that they in reality are accepting people with an Indian Master's degree rather than an undergrad. It might be worth your while to apply for the Cambridge Diploma, do it, blow them away with your brilliance, wait for scholarship offers from LSE, Oxford and Cambridge!!

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.