In America, Light Skin Blacks are Black not "Mixed Race"

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Beyoncstan
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Since I have been reading this forum one of the things that popped out to me other than the Obsession with America, is the obsession with BLACK people and how we view race especially African Americans. Europeans have the hardest times understand how America views and what RACE is in America.

For starters the term "Mixed Race" does not apply to American society not at all. Yes there are millions of "mixed race" Americans as you say but for much of our history people tend to stick to one race. While there are more self identity biracial people than ever in America remember we had the infamous one drop rule and while not as blatant today as the past it still plays a MAJOR factor in how we view race in this country.

I understand in Europe pretty much all Lightskin people are "Mixed Race" but that's because most blacks in Europe are 1st or 2nd generation immigrants. That's not the case in America where Blacks have been in America for well over 400 years . Blacks in Europe are isolated to capital cities London, Paris, Berlin etc... In America Blacks are spread throughout the country in large cities and small towns. There is also a distint African America culture where as Blacks in European don't have one.

The United States is a true "multi-cultural" society Europe especially the UK simply is NOT! Despite what you may think the numbers don't support that. London is very diverse but the country as a whole is "NOT"! The UK is a whopping 90% White...90%....while the USA is only 57% White.

Many Posters here seem to struggle with the idea that there are "light skinned" BLACK people who are not "Mixed Race" . Mixed race or Biracial is 2 parents of 2 different races. In "Black" America Black People come in various shades but they are STILL BLACK!!! Beyonce is not Mixed Race she is Black, Chris Brown is BLACK, Kerri Hilson is Black, Rihanna is BLACK etc. Remember we have a history of Slavery in America where White plantation owners RAPED African Female Slaves. Thus resulting in mulatto children , however the majority of these children produced with other African slaves\Indians not Whites thus creating "Liteskin Blacks"

Mariah Carey, Alicia Keys, Halle Barry are true "biracial" people but all are view and admit they are BLACK not White. It's very complex but that's America for you, it's such a mix of people that everything here is complex.
There are 50 million Black people in America and we come in all shades....

Here is a scope of how African Americans look....On this forum many of these people you would refer to as "mixed race" but that would be a huge INSULT to these people if you referred to them as such....

Silver Arrows
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Wow, look at all that text I didn't read.
Jonn_Snowed
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Would it not be an insult to refer to those who are mixed race are black?
Also one of the reasons why more black white children identify themselves as black is because of their rejection of their white half from the white culture. The black race is more accepting in terms of race. If a light skinned mixed race caused himself white he woukd be laughed at if he called himself black people would agree.
Barack obama who grew up in a white family later identified himself with a black culture(not being black) due to him being rejected by a white culture as seen in him biography.

Also the reason why the good old usa is so multicultural as you came is because they dragged those blacks over. Destroyed their history. Kept them there for so long severing ties from their ancestors. Although the slave trade was evident through out europe it was more evident in the usa. Most blacks in the uk here emigrated or those of black decent. Those in America told them to get into that damn boat to"help" build america.
Land of the free.
Multicultural you are having a laugh. No country is more built on bloodshed and racism than America.
I wonder if the native americans would agree with the apparent multi cultural society?

A light skin black is not neccesarily mixed race I agree.
DorianGrayism
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I didn't quite get the message.

I think you need to put more cheerleader pictures up.
Beyoncstan
Rep:
?
More of "BLACK" in America...

Jonn_Snowed
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh yh by further evidence of your idiocy you adopt the white social construct of the white one drop rule. Beyonce is half creole. Creole is a race in itself however you are placing her mother as black when ethnically she is not. Thus if she is not the product of two races she is mixed race. A mixed race person may identify themselves as black however this is culturaly. Ethnically they arent black.
Jonn_Snowed
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The more i read the more ignorant I find you are.
If a person is mixed race they are a mixture of races. Unless it is obsecure like 1/16 or something they are mixed.
America you identify yourselves with one race sadly due to the social construct.
+ polarity -
Badges: 21
Report 6 years ago
Black hipsters? Word??
Beyoncstan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cyphrex)
Oh yh by further evidence of your idiocy you adopt the white social construct of the white one drop rule. Beyonce is half creole. Creole is a race in itself however you are placing her mother as black when ethnically she is not. Thus if she is not the product of two races she is mixed race. A mixed race person may identify themselves as black however this is culturaly. Ethnically they arent black.
Beyonce mother is a louisana Creole which are African Slaves and White French immigrants they are not a separate race they are lightskin blacks and identify as such! The ladies in the tiger print are from louisana and attend black colleges that should tell you who they are !

Most African Americans are mixed by your definition there would be no blacks in america as 97% of blacks in America have mixed blood!
Aku-gila
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah light skin =/= mixed race, and it's annoying when people assume they're the same thing.
Beyoncstan
Rep:
?
(Original post by + polarity -)
Black hipsters? Word??
Yes blacks started the new hipster trend in America! Most American trends which the world loves were started by Black Americans! For example music blacks invented blues jazz gospel funk soul rock and roll pop rnb rap disco hip hop house neosoul etc
WishIHadRevised
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
"For starters the term "Mixed Race" does not apply to American society not at all."

Yeah it does! I'm half-American and nowadays it does exist (like if you were born in the late nineties or later)!
ThatGirl276
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You know, people would care more if you actually bothered to make a point. This was just a random rant and an excuse to show a load of black people in one place as if its completely unheard of.
Beyoncstan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aku-gila)
Yeah light skin =/= mixed race, and it's annoying when people assume they're the same thing.
Exactly Are you American? They don't understand how upset these people would get if you inferred they were mixed race and not black!
Black Cat
Badges: 20
Report 6 years ago
There are light skin black people all around the globe we come in different shades, black, brown, etc.
Jonn_Snowed
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Beyoncstan)
Beyonce mother is a louisana Creole which are African Slaves and White French immigrants they are not a separate race they are lightskin blacks and identify as such! The ladies in the tiger print are from louisana and attend black colleges that should tell you who they are !

Most African Americans are mixed by your definition there would be no blacks in america as 97% of blacks in America have mixed blood!
Read what you said.
Beyonces mother is essentially half white and half black. This means her mothervis mixed race.
This means beyonce is 1/4 white. That is mixed race. Her mother is not a light skin black as you put it. She is mixed race.
Mixed race is a race. So one race plus another is mixed.
Beyonce may identift herself as black and culturally she may be. Ethnically she is not.

Difference between mixed race and mixed blood. A person can be 1/32 chinese it neans they have mixed ancestry not a mixed race.

Tell me what race is obama?
You seem to be an advocate of the one drop rule. Mixed race is not light skin black
Jonn_Snowed
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I for one would like to say op is an idiot who is just babbling incoherently.
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Beyoncstan)
Blacks in Europe are isolated to capital cities London, Paris, Berlin etc...
Wrong.
Tai Ga
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I agree with you OP. My nephew is very light, but both my brother and his girlfriend are darker than me :dontknow: The black race is extremely diverse and it's silly to assume we don't have varying degrees of darkness.
interstitial
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
inb4 'one drop rule'

Posted from TSR Mobile
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (288)
55.71%
I don't have everything I need (229)
44.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise