Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahaydenuk)
    Hmm... now you make me think about it, perhaps it wouldn't be such a good idea.
    It's great to play with and get a good feel for linux/apache/MySQL/PHP/perl etc though.

ReputationRep:
    rahayden - I've used Red Hat before but I quickly lost interest when I discovered my modem and sound drivers were not avalible for linux at the time, I have a router now however so it should be easy to setup linux to work with the internet.

I probably need to download a newer distribuition and try it, I do want to play around with it. However I don't want to have to format my hard drive as I've got lots of important data and I've only got one partiton on my main drive. I do have a second drive though which is my old 15gb. If I installed linux on that how would the dual boot thing work?

I am expecting at least 20 visitors at a given time when the site fully kicks off. This is going be no low rent poorly excuted site.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    phpBB it is then :rolleyes: Now I've got the impossible task of find a cheap host that offers MySQL that is also very reliable and has decent bandwidth allowance.
    Well, unless you reeeeally need mySQL for other stuff, or you're expecting the site traffic to be really quite heavy, why not go for YaBB or something else that doesn't require it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    Well, unless you reeeeally need mySQL for other stuff, or you're expecting the site traffic to be really quite heavy, why not go for YaBB or something else that doesn't require it?
    What does Yabb use access or somthing? I would prefer MySQL for compatability reasons as I know a lot about PHP/MySQL and I know its reliable.

ReputationRep:
    MySQL needn't be expensive if you go for the right host.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    What does Yabb use access or something? I would prefer MySQL for compatibility reasons as I know a lot about PHP/MySQL and I know its reliable.
    Yeah, I take your points.

Just that YaBB is an cheap option as generally hosting with MySQL costs more than without.

It actually uses a flatfile system, hence the warning about traffic etc.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.