Turn on thread page Beta

How do you feel about spending money? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How do you all feel about spending money on clothes and your appearance in general?
    Do you radically throw out what looks bad on you or is no longer in fashion or what ever and just go out and buy new clothes? Does that make you feel guilty somehow, or do you feel you are wasting money - or that you are making a good investment?

Personally... there are some things I think it is worth spending more money on - a good coat for example or jeans - but I still end up feeling guilty if I stop wearing clothes simply because I don't like them or they don't fit me anymore and then buy new ones I like.
    But on the other hand I think that's what I should do really, while I still have the figure and the youth to wear stuff that makes me look good - later in life when I can afford to spend more on clothes I will never look as good in them as I do now while I'm 20.
    But I suppose I've been brough up to feel guilty about spending a few euros on a new pair of jeans if I already own a pair that's perfectly wearable. Today I mentioned that I would have to buy a new pair of jeans and my mum straight away went on about how many jeans she thinks I already have etc.

How do you lot feel towards spending money on clothes?

ReputationRep:
    depends on when i last brought clothes, whether i really need clothes, or it's just something that i really want.

i hate spending my money though.. so...

ReputationRep:
    Recently I've felt more and more guilty every time I spend money...and although I have a lot of clothes I am very self conscious and think that I never look god enough so I am always clothes shopping. I am cursed with an ever fluctuating body weight as well, depending on the heat and time of month I can be a rake or blow up like a balloon so sometimes I have nothing that fits me at all...

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same as you Adarah - I really spend out on certain things that I know I'll wear a lot and will last a while but I don't buy expensive fashion pieces, there's no point. I feel guilty if I don't like something and don't wear it and I hate throwing clothes away!

Yesterday I had a good wardrobe clear out though, my mum and sister got quite a lot of clothes off of me. I won't go out and buy lots more now, I've got more than enough! I used to go quite crazy with my clothes shopping and even now I can spend without thinking it through so I don't really need anything new.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tigger1430)
    Recently I've felt more and more guilty every time I spend money...and although I have a lot of clothes I am very self conscious and think that I never look god enough so I am always clothes shopping. I am cursed with an ever fluctuating body weight as well, depending on the heat and time of month I can be a rake or blow up like a balloon so sometimes I have nothing that fits me at all...
    Ah I'm just the same as you! I never feel like what I'm wearing is good enough, so that means I go out and buy more clothes.

ReputationRep:
    I'm basically like you. I feel very guilty buying new clothes even though I probably need them!

ReputationRep:
    i love spending money on clothes, though it has only been in the past couple of years have i actually realised that spending more e.g. £200 on a pair of paul smith shoes, means that you are indeed paying for a greater quality. jeans and shoes are two things i am willing to spend loads on. t shirts etc can be alternated.

ReputationRep:
    i feel great about it... especially when its not my own money! ha

no i dunno, lately, i've felt the need to go out and buy something new for every time i go out. i love the feeling when you find something so awesome that no-ones gonna have, then you wear it and people comment it. i guess its a confidence boosting thing. i've been making myself a lot of dresses too lately, so spending a bit of money on fabric, but i don't mind doind it cos i know how the dresses are going to turn out and i know they're really individual. i'm not one for throwing things out, unless the item doesn't fit me, or its had it. i have a wardrobe in my bedroom just for things i never wear, but every now and then ill have a look in it and think of a new way to wear it. you find that fashions come back around very quickly. also if i know things are going to be worth the money... last year i bought a pair of black knee high flat boots from office and i wore them to death, so this year i've seen a pair in faith - they're £90 but i have no qualms with paying that for them cos i know im gonna wear them all the time. i dunno... basically if i like somethin i'll buy it... im overdrawn, but im working, so know im earning it back. xx

ReputationRep:
    I used to spend it like water, probably because i hadn't realised what worked for me.

Now i know what suits me and i spend less as i tend to buy key pieces. I recenly bought the leopard print Laura Lees dress from Topshop. Some people say leopard can be emo but as im blonde and totally girly it just looks girly lol. sorry, i only just got it i going on now.. lol. I also got money off it as some orange faced clone had left foundation all over it, so if an item has a slight fixable fault point in out and u may get extra discount.

But yeah, i dont feel guilty about spending money on items that will last, i only feel guilty about buying things without thinking, i mean, how many black vest tops do i need?

ReputationRep:
    I wish I didn't feel as guilty as I do about buying clothes - because although I don't have that few... I still don't have enough clothes that really suit me well and go together. i'm only just working out what really suits me. I don't have a problem with money on the upside though - cause I'm careful I have a lot of money saved up in my bank account...

very interesting reading all your stories

ReputationRep:
    i wish i did feel guilding about spending money, then maybe i wouldn't be so overdrawn!

na i used to feel guilty about spending money, but now i know what i like and what im looking for, i haven't got a problem with spending it. if its something thats really special and you know you're gonna get a lot of wear out of it then i just buy it. i used to only buy black tops for going out in and stuff, but now i decided i like colour too much and my wardrobe is just packed with all this bright stuff and i love it. i really just think im addicted to the feeling you get when you find something great and wear it out and put it with all your other clothes - thats why i spend so much money.

ReputationRep:
    i don't like spending my own money, i don't like been broke...i always have a stash of at least £50 *smirks* but i don't mind spending other peoples money lol

ReputationRep:
    fashion and style is perhaps my biggest passion so i spend a lot of money on it. i take massive care and pride in what i wear, even if i'm just going out to get some petrol i'll still look decent. i just love nice clothes!

ReputationRep:
    I always feel guilty and I know I need more new clothes for winter but can't bring myself to spend lots of money!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ross_j)
    fashion and style is perhaps my biggest passion so i spend a lot of money on it. i take massive care and pride in what i wear, even if i'm just going out to get some petrol i'll still look decent. i just love nice clothes!
    Even though i can't drive, i'm the same.....if i'm just walking to the corner shop i have to look decent or putting the garbage out....never know who your gonna see right?

ReputationRep:
    you make it to spend it...I see no reason to feel guilty as long as you have it to spend in the first place.
    If I need clothes I buy them, if theres something I want I buy it. I'm not much of a shopping addict though, I don't buy unless its necessary...unless its lingerie then its a totally different story.

ReputationRep:
    I do shop a lot, but always wear what I buy. If there's anything that I don't wear anymore, I'll sell it on eBay or give it to charity and that way I don't think of it as a loss.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really know what suits me. And so nothing I have really flatters my body shape. I don't really care though as I'm happy in a baggy t shirt and jeans.
    I don't really buy much, and never spend that much money on it. I have taken to looking for jumpers on ebay during summer months and just browsing charity shops for things I know I will need with it get colder.

I don't like to spend money anyway. I want to be able to be comfotable when I leave uni and be able to support myself while looking for a job or having to pay rent up front etc. I concentrate on saving rather than spending.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tigger1430)
    I know exactly what you mean, my problem is when I go shopping I see other people that look really nice and I think arhh I always look awful! Now I must buy lots of clothes! And I can never find anything. Is it just a girl thing that a lot of us never feel like we look as good as anyone else?!

ReputationRep:
    recently, in the last few months, i have been buying many clothes at high prices. i know it's not exactly the right way to think, but i just get bored of wearing the same clothes. wearing something new is about 25 times more fun than something you've worn a few times. an extensive wardrobe is never a bad thing.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.