The Student Room Group

Application of Magic Square

Hi guys,

I'm just finishing off my final year dissertation on Magic Squares. Does anyone know of any application of magic squares, apart from general interest and puzzles (Sudoku-X etc), mathematical or otherwise (preferably with sources)?
Original post by immense010
Hi guys,

I'm just finishing off my final year dissertation on Magic Squares. Does anyone know of any application of magic squares, apart from general interest and puzzles (Sudoku-X etc), mathematical or otherwise (preferably with sources)?

https://cp4space.wordpress.com/2014/05/08/noughts-and-crosses/
Otherwise, I'm not aware of anything…
Reply 2
Original post by immense010
Hi guys,

Nope. My advice is to google the hell out of them, read every linked page from Wikipedia and to look at any formulas that emerge from them and see if those formulas appear anywhere else.

For instance: Wiki claims that it can help solve the n-queens puzzle, which is a generalized chess puzzle based around positioning queens. If you mean practical applications, then I don't have a clue, but the forumla thingy would appear to be a better starting place.

Not really sure why I'm trying to advise a Uni student though since you probably know all of this

Quick Reply

Latest