E3 2014 Watch

xDave-
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
With Ubisoft announcing their E3 lineup, I thought it'd be a good idea to get a thread going on here, since we don't have long to go now. What games are you looking forward to seeing, and what are you hoping you'll see? Here's a schedule for the shows, I think the times are PST, so that's 8 hours behind the UK?

Personally, I'm interested to see the two Assassin's Creed games (Ubisoft's line up only mentions Unity, but there's a PS3/360/PC only game coming out also). I'm hoping
Spoiler:
Show
that they put some focus on the modern day timeline in these games, as AC4 almost entirely ignored that. We really need to get a new protagonist now that Desmond is gone.

I'm quite interested to see Dice's Star Wars Battlefront too. I'm hoping that they don't stray too far from what the last games were, but since they said it's going to be their interpretation of what SWBF should be, I think it will be quite different. I expect it to be quite vehicle heavy, and I'm not a fan of vehicles in infantry based games. The originals had a mixture of maps: some with no vehicles, some with loads.

I'm desperate to see Fallout 4 though, want that game more than anything else. Have a feeling it won't be there though. If it's not in Microsoft's show, then we probably won't be seeing it, unless they're not buddybuddy with MS anymore.

Here's a schedule for all the time zones, courtesy of mrdoovde1

Jjj90
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well I just bought my first Assassins Creed game (ACIV) since the original and it hasn't impressed me at all, it feels like it needed 6 more months work on it. So I have no hope whatsoever that the next one will be any good. Releasing an expansive open world game on a strict yearly deadline is a ludicrous proposition; Rockstar really make a mockery of Ubisoft, they take their time and it shows.

Personally I think the One's rumored lineup looks alright but the PS4 is hugely disappointing. I think gamers are in for a shock honestly, they deride the Wii U for apparently not having enough games but I strongly suspect the One and PS4 will go the same way. I can't see anything to look forward to on the PS4, bar maybe Metal Gear.

Another thing that worries me is the sheer amount of sequels... every game is a sequel... a Forza sequel, a God of War sequel, a Gears of War sequel, an Uncharted sequel, a Ryse sequel etc etc. It's like the creativity is being drained from the console market.

One game i'm interested in is the new Batman because I genuinely believe that if they do that game right it could be one of the all time greats. Although i'm skeptical about them introducing vehicles...

Wow i'm a pessimist...
NathanW18
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
FFXV gameplay. We saw a little bit last year, and I almost cried with joy, but I need more. It's probably way too much to ask for a release date, but I can hope. Some cutscenes/gameplay of KH3 would also be nice. I'd also love to see anything from the new Mass Effect. I hope EA are bringing something to E3. The Division and Far Cry 4 from Ubisoft. Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break from Microsoft. The Order 1886 and Uncharted from Sony. Bayonetta 2 and 'X' from Nintendo. Destiny and The Witcher 3, too.

E3 needs to come faster!
MASTER265
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am so hyped up for Star Wars battlefront. My fav game is coming back
MASTER265
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jjj90)
Well I just bought my first Assassins Creed game (ACIV) since the original and it hasn't impressed me at all, it feels like it needed 6 more months work on it. So I have no hope whatsoever that the next one will be any good. Releasing an expansive open world game on a strict yearly deadline is a ludicrous proposition; Rockstar really make a mockery of Ubisoft, they take their time and it shows.
What the last 2 did was bring the saga to the Americas (oh great) so it lost that sense of European culture, religion, monarchy, art, fashion and history. By bringing it back to the continent, this time in France we get it back to its prime that AC2 and brotherhood achieved. Unity will be great, the small teaser even has that classic AC atmosphere that made the game great
Shak995
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
DESTINY
DESTINY
DESTINY
DESTINY

Posted from TSR Mobile
xDave-
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Jjj90)
The AC games generally considered the best were AC2 and AC:B, so you missed the best ones. I also liked AC:R, but I haven't enjoyed 3 or 4. Especially 4, as that was just a filler game; it had almost nothing to do with the original main story. Ubisoft have been quite open about how they're going to milk the series, sadly. This is from the wiki:

Asked about future of the series, Sébastien Puel from Ubisoft said that "[...] we could do 35 of these [Assassin's Creed games]", while Laurent Detoc from Ubisoft said "we hope to reach Assassin's Creed 10".

And there's also the yearly schedule, as you mentioned. It's a shame because there's a huge amount to the AC universe that goes far beyond the games, and I'm quite invested in that story personally. So watching them destroy it for more money has been quite meh. When I say I'm excited to see the new AC games, it's more like I'm hopeful that they will have gone back to what AC2 and AC:B were. If they haven't and we're given more games unrelated to the real story of the game then I think I might be done with the series.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Far Cry 4, Mirrors Edge 2 and Star Wars Battlefront are the three I'm most looking forward to seeing :teeth: Halo 5 and Destiny I'm also excited to see new stuff from, but I doubt I'll own a console capable of playing them by the time they're released.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
BF5
AC Unity
find out what the other AC game is a rerelease of
CoD (to see how bad it is )
destiny (I wonder if they will mention that the xbobes can run it, since they seem to have forgotten about that thus far
How many things are MS reskinnung exactly? Both fable AND the MC trilogy? Desperate for money much?
KH3
ME4
The 3 star wars games
The Division

What's wolfenstein doing on there? How old exactly is that list?
dhr90
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The Division, The Order 1886 and Uncharted 4 are the only ones I can think of that I would be interested in.
Plus some sort of Gran Turismo/F1 game. Although Project Cars does look extremely good from what I have seen.
Be nice to see Battlefield 5, although they won't be showing anything of the bugs etc that are so numerous in BF4.

I won't watch much of it live this year. May just end up watching the highlights.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by dhr90)
Be nice to see Battlefield 5, although they won't be showing anything of the bugs etc that are so numerous in BF4.
I somehow doubt that even EA is stupid enough to release a game knowing such severe bugs exist, so of course they can't, let alone won't. That's completely ignoring the fact that they wouldn't intentionally show bugs since it's no good for your marketing.
NathanW18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
I somehow doubt that even EA is stupid enough to release a game knowing such severe bugs exist, so of course they can't, let alone won't. That's completely ignoring the fact that they wouldn't intentionally show bugs since it's no good for your marketing.
Well, they released BF4 when it clearly wasn't ready. Everyone that bought it on release were basically playing the alpha version. It's only just started to become playable. Seven months after release. EA have and will release games that are not ready to be released. Of course they won't show us the bugs, but I have no doubts that they will release more games that are unfinished.

All I want to see from EA is the new Mass Effect. Their conference last year was so boring. They had nothing to show, except sports games and BF4.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by NathanW18)
Well, they released BF4 when it clearly wasn't ready. Everyone that bought it on release were basically playing the alpha version. It's only just started to become playable. Seven months after release. EA have and will release games that are not ready to be released. Of course they won't show us the bugs, but I have no doubts that they will release more games that are unfinished.

All I want to see from EA is the new Mass Effect. Their conference last year was so boring. They had nothing to show, except sports games and BF4.
Only just becoming playable is not strictly true, playable for the masses maybe, but myself, and many others were more or less fine from the start, well within tolerable levels, and actually I found that the patches to fix the problems actually caused them for me XD

Games generally aren't anywhere near as polished as they used to be, just look at the sizes of the day 1 patches. These days developers can afford to let little things slip through because they know they can just roll out an update to fix it, which they couldn't do before since it was rolled out on a disk without the user necessarily having an internet connection.

It clearly wasn't ready but it wasn't necessarily apparent just how broken the game was. You can't necessarily test how bad something is that's dependent on, say, server load when you don't have tens or hundreds of thousands of machines connected in any of the testing and you can't rely on the scaling to be accurate from a smaller server to a larger one.

Did they not also briefly mention titanfall, was that left entirely in the hands of respawn, or is my memory terrible and titanfall wasn't actually at E3?
NathanW18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Only just becoming playable is not strictly true, playable for the masses maybe, but myself, and many others were more or less fine from the start, well within tolerable levels, and actually I found that the patches to fix the problems actually caused them for me XD

Games generally aren't anywhere near as polished as they used to be, just look at the sizes of the day 1 patches. These days developers can afford to let little things slip through because they know they can just roll out an update to fix it, which they couldn't do before since it was rolled out on a disk without the user necessarily having an internet connection.

It clearly wasn't ready but it wasn't necessarily apparent just how broken the game was. You can't necessarily test how bad something is that's dependent on, say, server load when you don't have tens or hundreds of thousands of machines connected in any of the testing and you can't rely on the scaling to be accurate from a smaller server to a larger one.

Did they not also briefly mention titanfall, was that left entirely in the hands of respawn, or is my memory terrible and titanfall wasn't actually at E3?
I don't own BF4, so I can't say for certain. I'm only going by the videos I've watched of the game and what I've read. It looked pretty broken at release and people have only just recently been saying that it's now playable.

That is one of my biggest issues with this industry. It's great that we have the internet, but that shouldn't give publishers the right to release games that are unfinished. It doesn't matter if they can give us a downloadable patch. It should be playable out of the box. Not after we put a couple patches online for you.

I don't expect everything to work perfectly on the first day. Should it be working pretty much perfectly after a week? I think so. If it isn't, there are major problems. BF4 seemed to have major problems. That's not good enough and we shouldn't accept it as okay.

I forgot about Titanfall. Good point. I still found EA's conference very underwhelming. I won't be surprised if it's similar this year.
Psyk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
FFXV gameplay. We saw a little bit last year, and I almost cried with joy, but I need more. It's probably way too much to ask for a release date, but I can hope. Some cutscenes/gameplay of KH3 would also be nice. I'd also love to see anything from the new Mass Effect. I hope EA are bringing something to E3. The Division and Far Cry 4 from Ubisoft. Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break from Microsoft. The Order 1886 and Uncharted from Sony. Bayonetta 2 and 'X' from Nintendo. Destiny and The Witcher 3, too.

E3 needs to come faster!
I've heard rumours that Square Enix are planning on announcing a European/North American release of Final Fantasy Type-0 at E3. Apparently the game is really good, but it only came out on the PSP in Japan.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't own BF4, so I can't say for certain. I'm only going by the videos I've watched of the game and what I've read. It looked pretty broken at release and people have only just recently been saying that it's now playable.

That is one of my biggest issues with this industry. It's great that we have the internet, but that shouldn't give publishers the right to release games that are unfinished. It doesn't matter if they can give us a downloadable patch. It should be playable out of the box. Not after we put a couple patches online for you.

I don't expect everything to work perfectly on the first day. Should it be working pretty much perfectly after a week? I think so. If it isn't, there are major problems. BF4 seemed to have major problems. That's not good enough and we shouldn't accept it as okay.

I forgot about Titanfall. Good point. I still found EA's conference very underwhelming. I won't be surprised if it's similar this year.
IT was pretty bad for a lot of people, and people have different tolerances for the issues. I was definitely effected by the various problems, but to a small enough extent that I could manage to deal with it. Other people will have been effected more and/or had a lower tolerance and have disliked it as a consequence. You also have to consider that, as usual, it was a vocal minority that were hating hard on it.

Personally, I would say some of the Issues with Wolftenstein: The New Order are at least as bad, especially given that it's the whole game that is crippled by the issues rather than just one mode. There should not have been a 10GB D1 patch that doesn't even fix some of the bigger issues. I would say up to a few % of the total game size is reasonable, maybe allow a bit more for MMOs.

I don't think people really care much about EA anymore anyway, what do they do that people actually like?
Battlefield
Sims
Mass Effect
They've re killed MoH
Crysis, which we aren't getting more of any time soon. And that is if Crytek continue making them now
C&C, but that's basically dead

They really don't do much people are bothered about anymore and they know it.
NathanW18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Psyk)
I've heard rumours that Square Enix are planning on announcing a European/North American release of Final Fantasy Type-0 at E3. Apparently the game is really good, but it only came out on the PSP in Japan.
I have never heard of this game. I guess they'll release it for the Vita if they're going to. Surely they wouldn't release a PSP version for the west?

IT was pretty bad for a lot of people, and people have different tolerances for the issues. I was definitely effected by the various problems, but to a small enough extent that I could manage to deal with it. Other people will have been effected more and/or had a lower tolerance and have disliked it as a consequence. You also have to consider that, as usual, it was a vocal minority that were hating hard on it.

Personally, I would say some of the Issues with Wolftenstein: The New Order are at least as bad, especially given that it's the whole game that is crippled by the issues rather than just one mode. There should not have been a 10GB D1 patch that doesn't even fix some of the bigger issues. I would say up to a few % of the total game size is reasonable, maybe allow a bit more for MMOs.

I don't think people really care much about EA anymore anyway, what do they do that people actually like?
Battlefield
Sims
Mass Effect
They've re killed MoH
Crysis, which we aren't getting more of any time soon. And that is if Crytek continue making them now
C&C, but that's basically dead

They really don't do much people are bothered about anymore and they know it.
Fair points. It's hard for me to say for certain, because I don't own the game.

I also don't have Wolfenstein. I didn't know there were issues with that game. Not good if so. What are the issues?

Well, the sports games are their most successful franchises. They have Fifa, NBA, NHL and probably more. Battlefield, but this latest one may have put a lot of people off. Mass Effect is also a big one. Some people are still upset over the ending of the last one, so it'll be interesting to see how the next game is received. They also have Titanfall now.

They need some new IP's. They've milked everything else to death.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have never heard of this game. I guess they'll release it for the Vita if they're going to. Surely they wouldn't release a PSP version for the west?

Fair points. It's hard for me to say for certain, because I don't own the game.

I also don't have Wolfenstein. I didn't know there were issues with that game. Not good if so. What are the issues?

Well, the sports games are their most successful franchises. They have Fifa, NBA, NHL and probably more. Battlefield, but this latest one may have put a lot of people off. Mass Effect is also a big one. Some people are still upset over the ending of the last one, so it'll be interesting to see how the next game is received. They also have Titanfall now.

They need some new IP's. They've milked everything else to death.
It's not that the game itself was bad, but there are some pretty crappy problems that can strike anybody, no matter how good or bad their rig is. Some software will prevent the game from launching, quite a few things that cause CTD, if running the shadow resolution on anything but the minimum frame rates are unplayable. Even then when loading a new area the game can completely bug out (show one frame for a second or more and only play audio for a fraction of a second after the frame loads), on top of that it does it every time the checkpoint loads if you die. Bugs still exist in the engine that were apparent when Rage came out.
Psyk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I agree. I think that's the reason it hasn't had a western release. The game itself was well received and it would appeal to the western market just as well as any other Final Fantasy game. But when it was released the PSP was on its way out (not that it was ever all that popular here). I'm hoping for a Vita release.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Psyk)
I agree. I think that's the reason it hasn't had a western release. The game itself was well received and it would appeal to the western market just as well as any other Final Fantasy game. But when it was released the PSP was on its way out (not that it was ever all that popular here). I'm hoping for a Vita release.
Total PSP sales were 76.3m globally. Vita doesn't look like it's going to do any better. There isn't really space in the market for portable consoles with smartphones and tablets, even less room for non-nintendo ones.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How old were you when you first saw porn?

I've never seen it (182)
22.52%
Before I was 12 (280)
34.65%
13 (132)
16.34%
14 (98)
12.13%
15 (53)
6.56%
16 (29)
3.59%