The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Chumbaniya
If someone hasn't got good reason to believe themself to be superior, it's obviously foolish for them to believe that they are. I wouldn't say that academic results necessarily reflect intelligence, though they can sometimes give you a rough guide. Essentially what I'm arguing for is not people who perform worse than others and still believe themselves to be superior, or people who believe themselves to be unconditionally better than everyone else in a certain field, but those who have considerable ability and can demonstrate that ability, and because of that believe themselves superior to those who do not appear to have such ability. I think I'm, starting to make less and less sense as I carry on...

In conclusion: I'm arrogant. So there.

I'm sure there is an ancient Chinese proverb to do with carp trying to make it in the river or something. Unfortunately I'm not entitled enough to arrogance to know of such a thing. Anyway, you'll get to university and realise that getting ~90% in your C1 or P1 or whatever it is doesn't make you a prodigious mathematician and you're now in a group of people who equal or better you in many ways.
thats why shy/geeky girls are so hot :biggrin:
Reply 62
There is hope! Yaaaaaay!
coughsyrup
I'm sure there is an ancient Chinese proverb to do with carp trying to make it in the river or something. Unfortunately I'm not entitled enough to arrogance to know of such a thing. Anyway, you'll get to university and realise that getting ~90% in your C1 or P1 or whatever it is doesn't make you a prodigious mathematician and you're now in a group of people who equal or better you in many ways.

Firstly, 90% in C1 would be a lousy score for me, and secondly, didn't I point out that grades can't give you a particularly accurate picture of someone's genuine ability?
Reply 64
Chumbaniya
Firstly, 90% in C1 would be a lousy score for me, and secondly, didn't I point out that grades can't give you a particularly accurate picture of someone's genuine ability?

What makes you think you are such a genius? Have you already completed your A levels in maths and completed a year of distant study of a maths degree, if you're such a brilliant mathmo that you can assert it aggressively? I know somebody who was sitting around in rural New Zealand getting high on whatever he could get his hands on yet still had done all of that before leaving school. He's not arrogant in the slightest, despite holding 2 degrees from 2 of the best universities in the world. Nobody has the right to be arrogance.
Reply 65
Yo, whaddup.

I got 100% in a maths module and a physics module way back in 03/04 - don't ask me to remember which ones... got AAC in maths, physics, and chemystery, got into a good uni... and promptly abandoned the first year of my engineering degree course and scraped through the second attempt. I'm delighted to reach the pass mark now. The sad thing is that I can digest the course material with no problem, it's just actually doing hard work which I don't much like doing (like revising instead of reading for entertainment, getting out of bed and going to lectures, turning off the PC and doing coursework) which I have found difficult.
coughsyrup
What makes you think you are such a genius? Have you already completed your A levels in maths and completed a year of distant study of a maths degree, if you're such a brilliant mathmo that you can assert it aggressively? I know somebody who was sitting around in rural New Zealand getting high on whatever he could get his hands on yet still had done all of that before leaving school. He's not arrogant in the slightest, despite holding 2 degrees from 2 of the best universities in the world. Nobody has the right to be arrogance.

Genius? Certainly not. Genuis is a label that is used far too often and should only be applied to a select few who are of exceptional ability. There is a world of difference between being very intelligent and being a genius. And I did not assert at any point that I am a brilliant mathematician; if you think that my belief that a 90% score in Core 1 would be bad for me implies that I believe myself to be of incredible mathematical ability, you're very much mistaken. Given the standard of A level questions, no one can claim to be a superb mathematician on the basis of A level scores alone.
Reply 67
Dyakson
Yo, whaddup.

I got 100% in a maths module and a physics module way back in 03/04 - don't ask me to remember which ones... got AAC in maths, physics, and chemystery, got into a good uni... and promptly abandoned the first year of my engineering degree course and scraped through the second attempt. I'm delighted to reach the pass mark now. The sad thing is that I can digest the course material with no problem, it's just actually doing hard work which I don't much like doing (like revising instead of reading for entertainment, getting out of bed and going to lectures, turning off the PC and doing coursework) which I have found difficult.

Love it. You hate hard work; I think you could be a brother to me if things had happened differently. Legend.

Latest

Trending

Trending