Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    On Thursday...when I ring up universities regarding Clearing vacancies...must I have my Clearing Passport to ring them up and see if they will be willing to take me ...or will I only need the Clearing Passport if they have accepted me and ask for it...?

ReputationRep:
    I'm using common sense so don't take this as the gospel truth.

I'm sure you can ask them whether they would be willing to take you without a clearing passport but its unlikely that they will reserve a place for you on that course . To actually apply and get your name down for the course, you will need a clearing passport.

Sorry if this was unhelpful.

ReputationRep:
    I hope you can speak to them without a clearing password as I won't have one on that date as I'll be hoping to get released on that day.

I don't see any harm in asking admission tutors if they will accept you but there can't be any guarantee of reserving anyspaces as it's a first come first serve basis.

ReputationRep:
    I think that you only send your clearing passport to the uni you have confirmed as your first choice through clearing. The uni's you ring up through clearing will need to know that you are registered through clearing and are eligable for it, but i dont think that you need to send them all your passport - I think you may need to tell them your clearing number though, but im not entirely sure.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Yeah, they'll probably want your Clearing number, which can be found on Track. They'll only want your passport when they're firmly offering you a place and you're accepting it. They will understand that most people will not have their passport by Thursday.

Usually, they invite you to an open day and then you give them the passport then. If you really can't go to the open day you can post it, but then you won't be able to see what the uni is like before accepting it.

ReputationRep:
    My post always comes really late though, like midday. Will this not put me at a disadvantage?

ReputationRep:
    So to those universities you ring up...regarding a course you like...and you don't have your Clearing Passport...what's the best thing to tell them...?

"Please please please reserve me on that course...and I will ring you as soon as I get my Clearing Passport!"...?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Well, if you ring on Thursday they'll almost expect you not to have the Clearing passport! It's just a bit of paper anyway. They need it to officially offer you a place, but since you'll have to take it to them on the open day it's not like you need it for the phonecall (I don't recommend trying to tear it into little bits and shove it down the phone line)

ReputationRep:
    So to be accepted over the phone...you require the Passport Password right...? And it's not a must that you have to visit the open day is it...?

ReputationRep:
    Does everyone get a clearing number, regardless of if they're in clearing or not? I might get accepted onto my firm or insurance, but I might not wish to go there...so what will the best thing for me to do?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by GεεRTHAN)
    So to be accepted over the phone...you require the Passport Password right...? And it's not a must that you have to visit the open day is it...?
    You need your Clearing number, which can be found on your passport or will be shown on Track.

You don't have to visit the open day, but if you don't you'll have to post the Passport and thus it might get lost/not get there in time. Also, you won't see the uni you'll be spending 3 years at!

You only get a Clearing number if you're in Clearing.

ReputationRep:
    Cheerz Juno!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Singh_87)
    Does everyone get a clearing number, regardless of if they're in clearing or not? I might get accepted onto my firm or insurance, but I might not wish to go there...so what will the best thing for me to do?
    Call your firm and insurance up on results day, explain why you dont feel its right. Most of the time they will release you into clearing and you start phoninh around

Thats what I plan to do

EL

ReputationRep:
    Right...say If I get the grades for either my firm or my insurance, but I don't want to go to either of them. I ring them on results day (tommorrow!!), and they release me. So now, where will I find this clearing number? Im sure UCAS Track won't be updated that quickly that they realise I've been released and issue me with a Clearing number, so where do I get one from? Without this, I won't be able to discuss the possibilities of attending another uni..so me is worried!!

ReputationRep:
    Singh, after you have agreed to be released by both your firm and insurance call up UCAS and they will beable to give you a clearing number apparently

EL

ReputationRep:
    oh right...okie dokie...thank u

ReputationRep:
    Say you are ringing up your Firm university...whose grades you didn't meet...and you are interested in a vacancy they have through Clearing...will you still need the Clearing Passport to secure the place as they will know that you have not met their original grades..?

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.