The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Probably doesn't help that you call them the Tories
I'm a student and very Tory. I think it's because in our generation it's seen as 'trendy' or whatever to be all liberal and vote Labour etc. There are plenty of us.
Original post by infairverona
I'm a student and very Tory. I think it's because in our generation it's seen as 'trendy' or whatever to be all liberal and vote Labour etc. There are plenty of us.

I know, some people tell me to support Labour when I'm a Tory.
depends where you live really. Where I grew up everyone was labour and I was treated as if i was the devil when I made it known that I would be voting conservative not a huge load of tory voters. When i went to uni however i found it much more balanced.
Original post by misssbs18
I know, some people tell me to support Labour when I'm a Tory.

I personally think voting Labour is almost as stupid as voting UKIP.
Only the posh private school ones

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I voted for the Conservatives in the 2010 General Election & I'd do the same now. They're not perfect but I agree with more of their policies than other parties. I'm 23 so I'd still class that as young :wink:!

You would never trust a Tory government again based on the policies of one particular government, so even if the Tories had policies you actually agreed with you wouldn't vote for them? Exceptionally immature. By that logic, I will never trust Labour after what Tony Blair did with immigration and Afghanistan and hopefully other people won't forget either.
Young people are idealistic and older people pay taxes.
Original post by arson_fire
She also brought the unions under control, gave low-wage earners the right to buy their house, reduced gas bills by 25%, reduced phone bills by 40%, got rid of the 6 month waiting list to have your phone connected when you moved house, and a whole load more.

Not everything she did was popular but most of it was desperately needed to stop us becoming a 2nd world country.

My grandad was one of the Birmingham six so i'm slightly biased to hate the scum that is the conservative party. Forgive me for my family are catholics from Northern Ireland and after the treatment of the Irish hunger strikers byt the Tory goverment, i would NEVER vote for anybody who represented them regardless of their new policies
Of course. Not all young people are left wing idiots.
She also brought the unions under control, gave low-wage earners the right to buy their house, reduced gas bills by 25%, reduced phone bills by 40%, got rid of the 6 month waiting list to have your phone connected when you moved house, and a whole load more.

Not everything she did was popular but most of it was desperately needed to stop us becoming a 2nd world country.

ps house prices rose from 50,000 in the 70's to nearly 200,000 by the mid 1980's while she was in power. just saying. Im sure the phone connection makes up for the 1000's of job cuts and cuts to education lol
Reply 14
Yeah, there's loads of us.

I personally went from an idealistic left winger to centre-right where I remain now. I realised that, no matter how much I would love this country to be perfect, it won't be. Also, when I found out my Dad was a Conservative it got rid of the whole posh etonian image I had of the party; he was a farmer lad, grew up with a mediocre education and some crappy jobs, but in the end worked ridiculously hard to support his family, which wasn't how I had always been taught in school and heard from everybody else.

In the end, I agree mostly with their policies, so I vote them. I think the student fee rises were harsh, but at the same time necessary.
Original post by goldie56
Probably doesn't help that you call them the Tories

Why? Is that offensive?
Original post by infairverona
You would never trust a Tory government again based on the policies of one particular government, so even if the Tories had policies you actually agreed with you wouldn't vote for them? Exceptionally immature. By that logic, I will never trust Labour after what Tony Blair did with immigration and Afghanistan and hopefully other people won't forget either.

dude you just called me immature but then agreed with my logic in regards to the labour party! you ok? ps i would never vote labour either because of this reason
Sure. Probably the private school kids.
Bull****

actually it's not. It is also one of the well known reasons that Margaret Thatcher was hated and so i'm slightly worried that you call this bull**** when it is fact :/ google it
Bull****

She priced the working class out of their homes and jobs. Have you never heard of the 'Thatcher generation'?