What's the point of the Graduation Ceremony? Watch

Juichiro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I heard you don't get the actual degree certificate there. Also, you need to dress in some arbitrary way to obey some ancient uni traditions. Is the fact that you have finalised your degree what is being celebrated? Why wouldn't you just do an actual celebration like you do in birthdays and parties without the whole robes and hats dressing and picking a literally worthless piece of paper?
hellodave5
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't see the point in it. I may skip mine... seems rather pointless and expensive really, IMO.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Juichiro)
I heard you don't get the actual degree certificate there. Also, you need to dress in some arbitrary way to obey some ancient uni traditions. Is the fact that you have finalised your degree what is being celebrated? Why wouldn't you just do an actual celebration like you do in birthdays and parties without the whole robes and hats dressing and picking a literally worthless piece of paper?
Why do we have prize givings at school?
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Arbolus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's traditional. If you don't want to take part then don't, but don't try to spoil the fun for everyone else.
Juichiro
Rep:
?
(Original post by jelly1000)
To motivate children (who are not mature enough to motivate themselves). But we don't make children pay fees and dress in arbitrary clothes to receive their prizes.
Juichiro
Rep:
?
(Original post by Arbolus)
It's traditional. If you don't want to take part then don't, but don't try to spoil the fun for everyone else.
I am not trying to spoil anything. I am just asking about the point of the Graduation Ceremony when there are other alternatives.
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To motivate children (who are not mature enough to motivate themselves). But we don't make children pay fees and dress in arbitrary clothes to receive their prizes.
Their parents do though through taxes and in some cases school fees and they have to wear school uniform for them.
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Their parents do though through taxes and in some cases school fees and they have to wear school uniform for them.
David B
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm looking forward to my graduation ceremony. I just need to begin university and finish my degree and I can go. :cool:
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's mostly for your parents/grandparents. Seriously.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (48)
24.49%
No, but I have thought about it (55)
28.06%
No (93)
47.45%

Watched Threads