Work visa for International Student?

Watch this thread
Iunius Vestalia
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey all there:

I will straight to the point. I got an offer from Imperial for its MS in investment & wealth management. I am a Canadian citizen, so I consider studying in UK would be an enriching experience. However, after some search, I have come to a realization that it would be hard, if not impossible, for an International student to work in London upon graduation, assuming that he or she gets a degree from Imperial? Given the last year designation data for the graduates, about 50% of the students went to work in Asia, and about 30% stay in Europe. Would that mean I would have a better chance to land a job in Asia Pacific instead of in London? Imperial, unfortunately, does not carry much weight in Canada given the closeness of the Canadian banking system; and it carries even lesser weight in the state. I hold a bachelor degree from a Canadian university.

Any input is appreciated.
Curtailment
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
[QUOTE=Iunius Vestalia;47745237]Hey all there:

I will straight to the point. I got an offer from Imperial for its MS in investment & wealth management. I am a Canadian citizen, so I consider studying in UK would be an enriching experience. However, after some search, I have come to a realization that it would be hard, if not impossible, for an International student to work in London upon graduation, assuming that he or she gets a degree from Imperial? Given the last year designation data for the graduates, about 50% of the students went to work in Asia, and about 30% stay in Europe. Would that mean I would have a better chance to land a job in Asia Pacific instead of in London? Imperial, unfortunately, does not carry much weight in Canada given the closeness of the Canadian banking system; and it carries even lesser weight in the state. I hold a bachelor degree from a Canadian university.

Any input is appreciated.[/QUOTvisaHo, the statistic you quoted is probably not applicable to you as there are a large percentage of students that travel from Asia to attend Imperial and then return home to work.

Have a look on the UK immigration website at the requirements for obtaining a work visa from a non-EU country. I believe it hinges on finding a company that is willing to sponsor the visa, which I wouldn't have thought would be too hard in the finance industry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (138)
43.81%
Not yet, but I will soon (54)
17.14%
No (123)
39.05%

Watched Threads