The Nightingale
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm two weeks away from my A2 English exam which I need to get an A in (and am on target to do so.) However, I'm on the syllabus LITA3, where you have to compare four unseen extracts. My major problem here is that poetry has always been my weakest area and if two hard poems come up I might be doomed! Don't get me wrong - I can write a thoughtful and analytical essay on poetry when there are no time constraints, but with the time constraints I feel I'm going to struggle.

How would you advise I improve my poetry analysing skills? I'm good with language, imagery, motifs etc. but where I struggle is with a poem's form - for example, working out the meter - for some it seems easy, but I struggle to hear it unless I have time to go over the poem in detail and highlight every little bit. I'm currently doing past papers and I see comments such as 'the poem contains iambic pentameter, interrupted by occasional trimeter which has x effect' in exam reports. Problem is, whilst I know what both of those are, I'm not sure I could pick up on subtle changes like that in the time constraints given, as well as fulfilling all the other assessment objectives adequately. How much do they expect an A-Level candidate to know about poetic metre, stress, rhyme schemes etc.
TSR Learn Together
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
missfrivolous
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well you do have to mention metre and structure when analyzing a poem, even if in passing. Try to relate how structure, form and possible rhyme and metre relate to the themes of the poem; for example a certain rhyme scheme may be reminiscent of a typical nursery rhyme and the poem in question happens to place a lot of emphasis on the theme of childhood - there's a clear link. Personally, I'm not good at all at discussing structure and form, whether in prose or in poetry but particularly poetry. I know what I'm SUPPOSED to be writing about, yet it's difficult to get myself fitting it all in. I think metre is one those things that you have to fit in somehow, even in a trivial manner, regardless of whether you find any relevance.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.39%
No (241)
33.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise