The Student Room Group

Is Going To Restaurants/Cinemas Alone Considered Weird?

One of my good friends is quite introverted (though he has decent social skills and is a lovely person), and he'll do stuff like go to restaurants (even places like Nandos) on his own, or go to the cinema on his own.

As a bunch of friends, we do stuff together too, and ofc I'm not criticising him :smile:. I was just wondering, in general, is it socially acceptable to do stuff like visit restaurants/cinemas/museums etc. alone? Anyone here ever done this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Visited museums on my own before and I know a couple of people who go to the cinema on their own.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No it isn't. What's weird is to care about what complete strangers might think about you.
Original post by Talipso
One of my good friends is quite introverted (though he has decent social skills and is a lovely person), and he'll do stuff like go to restaurants (even places like Nandos) on his own, or go to the cinema on his own.

As a bunch of friends, we do stuff together too, and ofc I'm not criticising him :smile:. I was just wondering, in general, is it socially acceptable to do stuff like visit restaurants/cinemas/museums etc. alone? Anyone here ever done this?

You are never alone with Jesus
Reply 4
yes, its weird
Reply 5
Don't think museums would be weird to attend alone, I go sometimes. Neither should it be for the cinema since no-one is there to see you, only the film. But usually, a restaurant is more likely to be socially acceptable to attend with a group of friends.
I wouldn't say it's weird! People might look at him and think he's sad or whatever, but honestly it's pretty normal to enjoy doing things by yourself
No. I've been to the cinema by myself plenty of times.
I've never thought of cinema trips as very sociable anyway since you barely speak to the other people.
Being by yourself is better because you pick what film to see, where to eat and what time you do it!
Reply 8
Erm...why would you even ask that? Of course it's not weird. It would be weird if he started chucking food from his plate at other people in a restaurant. It would be weird if he got up in the middle of a film and started shouting loudly at people in the cinema. But apart from that, why would it be weird to go to a cinema or a restaurant alone? Is it weird not to be surrounded by people at all times and to do something by yourself? God forbid if someone were to even entertain the notion of going to the cinema by himself! lol I find your question weird, I don't understand why you'd ask.
I don't think so, although I'm biased because I do it myself! I'll occasionally go to the pub and take a book with me as I find it really relaxing. I wouldn't say it was anti-social, it's your life and you can do what you like with it. Everyone else's opinion shouldn't matter as far as I'm concerned.
Original post by the bear
You are never alone with Jesus

And you don't need to buy him his own seat at the cinema.
Doing stuff like this happens quite often when you are working. If you get sent to a different city for a meeting or conference or working at a clients then if its an early start you can't travel there in the morning so have to stay over the night before: of course you have to eat alone, do stuff alone!

I have eaten Nandos alone in probably about 10 different cities of the UK....
Reply 12
People think it is weird and a social taboo. However I see nothing wrong with it.
It is considered weird, I think, but I personally really admire people who have the confidence to do those things alone.
I prefer it sometimes. Eating isn't a team sport, nor is watching a film. I suppose in looking at if it's considered weird then yes, but it isn't actually weird at all.

There was a great article in the Independent last month about this.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by (Ari)
Cafe's are fine to go to alone, but actual restaurants, no I don't think so, having a table to just yourself would be weird, I couldn't stop thinking that everyone would know I came alone which is rather sad. I've been to a cinema alone once before as well and it just felt really awkward, and haven't been alone since. These experiences are just so much better with a friend, of which I have plenty, so I don't really have to pretend to be okay with going alone like some other people posting in this thread.

I've done that a couple of times, when friends didn't want to see the film or as many times as I did [it was Superman Returns - 4 times :tongue:]

I saw a fair few people sitting there alone, and not the kind you'd think were loners etc etc but young lads. It's not at all a big deal. Just be comfortable within yourself.
(edited 9 years ago)
I wouldn't really judge someone for doing things like that alone. I mean personally I'd find it better with some friends, but I'd rather do that then lie about in my house all day.
(edited 9 years ago)
I go to the cinema alone quite often. Why not? It's not as though you can talk to anyone. It's like waiting til you have a friend over every time you watch a DVD. Plus you'll find if you travel for work you will end up going to a restaurant alone because the company pays for it.
Original post by (Ari)

Well you can talk beforehand, during the 20 mins of trailers and afterwards about it. DvD's are for your home, it's not a social situation, whereas cinemas are.

And it depends what kind of restaurant you're talking about. I imagine one where you're reserving tables and ****, which I'd never go to alone. If you mean something more like a cafe then yeah obviously people go to those alone.

A) I don't mean I always go alone, I recognise they can be a social situation. I just mean it's not an odd thing to do since the majority of it is not talking.

B) Yes it happens in reserved restaurants and stuff, in fact a lot of the time. Just depends on your company. My mum for example is an area manager for the South West, which means she travels a lot. They [the company] will usually give you allowance for dinner/ lunch/ breakfast, so it's up to you how you spend it, and often it will be at a restaurant. Also you will a lot of the time be alone travelling for work. So never say never :wink:
I think it is. I love going places on my own. Of course if a friend wants to come then great! But if there's a restaurant I want to go to or a film I want to go see and nobody else is interested then I'll go by myself. Not an issue at all, nor should it be.

Latest

Trending

Trending