Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think i'm addicted to spending money and shopping. Everytime I leave my house I spend money like it grows on grass never mind trees. Sometimes I don't even need to leave my house with the bloody internet being so Handy.
    Take today for instance, went for a quick drink in town, ended up spending £60. I think i'm going to go burn my debit card.

Does anyone have any less drastic tips to help me curtail my spending?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    I think i'm addicted to spending money and shopping. Everytime I leave my house I spend money like it grows on grass never mind trees. Sometimes I don't even need to leave my house with the bloody internet being so Handy.
    Take today for instance, went for a quick drink in town, ended up spending £60. I think i'm going to go burn my debit card.

Lock all your credit cards and money up in a cupboard and throw the key away...

ReputationRep:
    Don't use your cards. Take out cash only. So you know how much you actually use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Don't use your cards. Take out cash only. So you know how much you actually use.
    I always do that and draw a further £30 out...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    Lock all your credit cards and money up in a cupboard and throw the key away...
    My credit cards are locked away it's the debit card which I need for everyday living which is causing my bank balance to deplete rapidly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)

i have the same problem. i have stopped bringing money to school that has reduced some of my expenditure. one idea would be to only bring as mych money that you need, that also means that you can't pay with cards though.

ReputationRep:
    Don't spend money you don't have. Believe me you don't want to get into debt, all your money that you've ever saved will end up being gone and you'll have your bank ringing you all the time too!

STOP IT, it's for your own good!

Keep the debit cards but burn the credit cards. They are evil.

ReputationRep:
    i am really bad aswell, i get paid every monday and by tuesday it is all gone or i have bout £10 left. have got to start saving for uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I'm the same, I simply can't not spend money on even useless crap, a haze decends over me when I hit the shops. Therefore, I have entrusted my credit cards etc to the missus who allows me to have cash when I can justify needing it.
    "A fool and his money are soon parted."

Especially when he gives it to his missus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    Don't spend money you don't have. Believe me you don't want to get into debt, all your money that you've ever saved will end up being gone and you'll have your bank ringing you all the time too!

STOP IT, it's for your own good!
    I'm already £4000 in debt with student loands !
    On the plus side I do get another payment from that very soon £1360 - at my present rate that may last about 4 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    My credit cards are locked away it's the debit card which I need for everyday living which is causing my bank balance to deplete rapidly.
    Draw £x at the start of each week. And use only that amount to last through the week.

ReputationRep:
    i find cash much more dangerous than a credit card.

i bought some stuff for my little sister on my credit card on saturday, shes just given me £60 cash.

give me two days...and there will be a £5 left in my purse...and i wont know where any of its gone as i buy everything(well obviously not, but my petrol/shoping/general expenditure) on card.

that reminds me....credit card bill needs paying!...and im going shoe shoping at the end of the week!

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Draw £x at the start of each week. And use only that amount to last through the week.
    But what about my impulse purchases like DVD's and CD's
    I'm really going to have to do something when I go back to uni at the weekend, this sounds like a good option thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)

thats a horrible way to live thou...when you get to wednesday and theres no petrol in the car and you really really want to go visit a friend/ need to go to the dentist.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    I'm already £4000 in debt with student loands !
    On the plus side I do get another payment from that very soon £1360 - at my present rate that may last about 4 weeks.
    Stop spending or you'll be getting virtual kicks from me... Getting into debt isn't nice, it's definately not a nice experience, sometimes there's only one solution and that's to cut your cards, but in your case I couldn't say.

4k!!!!! but you're still in your first year! and you have loads more, that's a lot of money...

each month why don't you put money aside for the essentials, and leave a bit for going out and then attempt to pay off the debt in small chunks...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    That doesn't work I'm afraid. You usually need to buy something, like say a text book which would eat up all your money in that week.

Adam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    Stop spending or you'll be getting virtual kicks from me... Getting into debt isn't nice, it's definately not a nice experience, sometimes there's only one solution and that's to cut your cards, but in your case I couldn't say.

4k!!!!! but you're still in your first year! and you have loads more, that's a lot of money...

each month why don't you put money aside for the essentials, and leave a bit for going out and then attempt to pay off the debt in small chunks...
    LOL! thanks for the incentive to stop spending.
    My student loans wont be gettin paid off till i start earning after 5 years of medical school by which time I will owe at least £22,000, probably rather more.
    I'm going to try spending less than £80 a week when I go back to uni, this will be hard consdiering my current lifestyle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    LOL! thanks for the incentive to stop spending.
    My student loans wont be gettin paid off till i start earning after 5 years of medical school by which time I will owe at least £22,000, probably rather more.
    I'm going to try spending less than £80 a week when I go back to uni, this will be hard consdiering my current lifestyle.
    If you include rent then £80/week is fair. I don't think you are though, which means you are mad.

ReputationRep:
    A little timeline:

Save money → More money to spend on the gf → gf happy → gf bendable to your wills → hip action tonight → you feel happy → relationship strengthened → less time can be spent on the gf → more time spent on the Uni work → good grade → good job → gf more bendable due to more monetary income → you = more hip action.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.