The Student Room Group

access ourse PLUS gcse maths :(

I have been accepted on to the humanities access course (as I want togo on a do a Social Work degree at uni).
BUT now you need GCSE (my level 2 in maths in English is not enough).
My question is..... is it do-able to do a maths GCSE AND Acess Course at the same time??
I also have 2 boys aged 2 & 6yrs old and work part time and have the support of hubby and family and friends.
Reply 1
Perfectly doable, I'm guessing you have around 3/4 months before it starts? With the internet resources available you could learn most f what you need to know beforehand and hit the ground running.Look at some past GCSE papers online to give you an outline of the topics involved and use Youtube or Khan academy for lessons.

If you've been out of learning or a while don't get despondent if it all seems too much.I find you build up momentum.When I did mine even algebra was a struggle and I doubted myself.As it went on though it all became much easier, almost like I just needed to blow some cobwebs from my brain.

Now I'm at a Red Brick Uni studying engineering and spending my days doing linear differential equations and loving it.
Reply 2
Perfectly doable, I'm guessing you have around 3/4 months before it starts? With the internet resources available you could learn most f what you need to know beforehand and hit the ground running.Look at some past GCSE papers online to give you an outline of the topics involved and use Youtube or Khan academy for lessons.

If you've been out of learning or a while don't get despondent if it all seems too much.I find you build up momentum.When I did mine even algebra was a struggle and I doubted myself.As it went on though it all became much easier, almost like I just needed to blow some cobwebs from my brain.

Now I'm at a Red Brick Uni studying engineering and spending my days doing linear differential equations and loving it.
It will certainly be very hard to do Access and GCSE at the same time as managing children and a household, and working part-time. Be prepared for a hard, stressful year. However, as Wooderson says, if you can devote plenty of time to maths between now and September, you can get a lot done. If you can discipline yourself to do an hour or two of maths a day over the summer, I think you will be fine. (it will be good preparation for managing your time for the Access course too). Good luck.
I managed it fine but did not work (although have a large family so maybe it's swings and roundabouts).

I only needed a C so did the foundation maths GCSE (in which C was the highest grade I could get).

However, my year was the last that was allowed to do any GCSEs alongside the Access as too many people dropped out of the maths etc. If you want to give yourself the best possible chance I'd think about doing the GCSE then the Access the following year. You're only delaying your plans by a year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending