The Student Room Group

Is a 2.1 even anything to be proud of anymore?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Riku
Really? My tutors did the opposite; provided us with mark schemes, deviated from the course handbook in lectures and tutorials to go into wider/more critical debate, and kept regular office hours for any questions regarding essay technique, topics you didn't understand etc. Some of them provided model answers.
Added a bit more to my post.

Yeah some of the tutorial tutors put up some very basic model answers to some problems (note some, and note very basic). I'm not asking to be spoonfed, but seeing at least one or two model answers for things would have really helped me know what standard I should be aiming for. But I never got that.
(edited 9 years ago)
I've learnt that doing an insane amount of work will not guarantee you a 1st.

Luck plays a huge part.
Original post by Dalek1099
Employers know how hard Oxbridge is and clearly you don't I have heard loads of stories of people failing never mind getting a third and easily getting a first elsewhere.Employers recognise that the student must be a genius to get into Oxbridge and being the worst 1% of the very very best and most intelligent in the country is still very very good.

I've just seen you're not even at uni yet. That explains a lot. Who wants to leave uni with a crap degree from Oxbridge? Well done, you were clever when you were 18 and then bombed dismally through the rest of your education. Anyone with any common sense would rather have a 2.1 from a decent uni than a third from Oxbridge, you won't get on any graduate schemes just because your degree was from Oxbridge. People getting into Oxbridge are not 'genuises'. You need to get a grip of the real world and spend some time off TSR, I think.
Employers know how hard Oxbridge is and clearly you don't I have heard loads of stories of people failing never mind getting a third and easily getting a first elsewhere.Employers recognise that the student must be a genius to get into Oxbridge and being the worst 1% of the very very best and most intelligent in the country is still very very good.
Yes Oxbridge is very very good, but a 3rd is still effectively a failure in employers' eyes, even if it is from Oxbridge. At Oxbridge, you also get loads of contact time and one-on-one tutorial sessions to help you. At my uni, you don't get anywhere near that sort of help.
Original post by tehforum
I've learnt that doing an insane amount of work will not guarantee you a 1st.

Luck plays a huge part.
I'm starting to think this too. I don't think it's the amount of work that's let me down, because frankly I've worked till I'm sick and blue in the face at times (especially last term).

I put it down to luck too. Things like having a better mental state, having a group of intelligent course friends who I could work with, knowing someone a bit older than me who's done the same course as me. Sometimes you need someone to explain something in that slightly different way to get it to click. You can't buy these sort of things, nor can you work for them. You've either got it or you haven't. Life is more about who you know rather than what you know.
Reply 85

That is haram :angry:
It depends on what job you want I suppose. I think it's ridiculous we base what someone is 'worth' based on those letters, as hippyish as that sounds. My dad never went to university but provides for his family and works had as an electrician. I suppose he's worth nothing to some people though?
I'm on course for a 2:1, hopefully, but getting a job will be more dependent on my interviews skills and demonstration of technique. If you have a First from Oxbridge but can't complete an interview successfully, or get on with your colleagues, how much are you worth then?

You do you.
It all depends on what you want to achieve and how hard you work for it.
The only people in the country with jobs (other than minimum wage teenagers in Asda) are people with Oxbridge STEM firsts (and a small number of visiting yanks with Ivy League 4.0s). Literally everyone else is unemployably dim, capable only of sponging off the state and weeping onto their worthless history 2.1s. Probably death is the only real response to very such a dismally pathetic qualification.
Original post by Bassetts
I'm starting to think this too. I don't think it's the amount of work that's let me down, because frankly I've worked till I'm sick and blue in the face at times (especially last term).

I put it down to luck too. Things like having a better mental state, having a group of intelligent course friends who I could work with, knowing someone a bit older than me who's done the same course as me. Sometimes you need someone to explain something in that slightly different way to get it to click. You can't buy these sort of things, nor can you work for them. You've either got it or you haven't. Life is more about who you know rather than what you know.

I'm talking about the people marking your work either think your work is 1st class or it isn't.
In other news, with my ex-poly, non-first arts degree I've got a place on a ridiculously competitive grad scheme, so possibly my last post was a pile of ballsap.
Original post by tehforum
I'm talking about the people marking your work either think your work is 1st class or it isn't.
Oh. :ashamed: That too.
Reply 91
Original post by ManifoldManifest
In other news, with my ex-poly, non-first arts degree I've got a place on a ridiculously competitive grad scheme, so possibly my last post was a pile of ballsap.

Oh, really?
I hadn't noticed.

:rolleyes:

Also, to the guy blithering on about Oxbridge, you're wrong. 99% of employers don't care where you got your degree.
Original post by Riku
Maybe I've been on the elitist side of TSR too much but the more I think about it isn't 2.1 just like a…B? As in, second-class student, second-class employee, second-class citizen, second-class partner/date.

If everyone is getting 2.1s and the market is saturated with them, then why should one be proud of being distinctly average? (Yes I'm aware that a 'C'student is what's stereotypically considered average but in reality B is the new C)

I'm getting depressed thinking of my graduation ceremony and going up to get the piece of laminated paper they call a certificate which says 'well done, you, you spent 3 years of your life working for us and as it turns out, you did okay'
(Context: Brother came joint top of his year in MEng at an RG uni, now preparing to broadcast his PhD thesis on international business trips)

Especially in Arts. AFAIK 2.1 STEM> First in Arts :/

You've got this wrong.
2i student with great social/networking skills will be preferred over a first student shut away.

Why is being just 'okay' depressing? Congratulations, you're like the rest of the world; you're nothing special. Welcome back to reality.
Original post by hexagonalRod
How can you neg that? An accredited STEM degree is definitely worth more than a first in Arts.

In the context of this thread, though, that isn't what OP's saying. What he's saying is that a 2.1 in a STEM degree is more worthy of pride than a 1st in an arts degree. If you think pride should be linked to hard work and effort (as I do), then it's just a fairly baseless overgeneralisation. Getting a 1st in Law or History at a good uni is probably harder than getting a 2.1 in Biology.

But let's not get into this debate...
An arts degree is literally the most useless thing in the world. Science will get you far. That's why i am going to do my maths degree at cambridge next year (got my offers) :rolleyes:
I would say, yes, a 2.1 is definitely something to be proud of. 2.2's and worse exist, and some people don't even make it to uni at all!
If you're capable of getting a first and didn't because you ****ed around, then no.

If you worked hard for your 2.1 and feel that you deserve it after the end of all those hours you put in, then yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bassetts
Same. Don't understand all this talk about getting 2:1s being so easy. Certainly hasn't been for me.

It's so difficult to know how to improve for the next piece of work. You can find out where you went wrong after you've received the mark, but the next piece of work will be totally different, so how will that help you? Also university tutors are really against helping you 'jump through hoops' for exams. They believe university is a learning process rather than a place where you go to pass exams, so they're thoroughly against helping you in any shape or form with exam technique or providing any form of mark scheme. It would have helped immensely if I could see a few 'model answers' for some questions, just to get an idea of what a 1st/2.1 standard is and what was expected of me. But I was never allowed to. Many times I'd do a test or exam, and thought I'd revised hard, revised everything well, written a good answer, but it turned out to not even reach a 2.1 standard. It's no good knowing what a good answer is AFTER the work, because the result is final and that piece of material won't come up again.

I'm banging my head against a metaphorical brick wall right now, wondering if I could have done better. :banghead:

That's how I feel at the moment, University tutors never even give you help or support whatsoever towards exams or assignments, I don't think the increase in tuition fees is even justifiable with regards to the little support university tutors give you nowadays.
Original post by Architecture-er
On my course a 2:1 is what nearly everyone gets. We're just too tightly grouped to have a good spread of 1st down to 2:2 and 3rds

Out of 90 students I'd imagine 10 will get Firsts, and they'll have nearly killed themselves to get them. I wasn't prepared (nor physically capable) of doing that quantity of work.

I'm borderline 1st/2:1 material having spoken to my head of year, and the piece of work I just submitted is 70% of my entire grade.

I feel that I did my utmost best on it, could've done better if I had been given some advice on tactics, but on my own I did the best possible. I worked 15 hours a day, 7 days a week, for 4 months on my project :dontknow:

If I don't get a 1st I won't feel bad, because it will have been impossible to physically get a 1st due to the calibre of the other students, who worked even more insane hours. The important thing is to feel that you did the best you could possibly do, because that's the only factor you can control. Since your grade is based on how you fit on their distribution curve you could get a 1st with one class, but in a class with a higher level of talent you'd get a 2:1 instead

Now that's dedication
Reply 99
Original post by Smack
As long as it helps you get the job you want, does it really matter if a 2:1 is something to be proud of or not? And lots of 2:1 grads get brilliant jobs every year.

This!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending