Core science: A
Additional science: A*
Applied science: A
Religious studies: A*
Geography: A
Business studies: A
ICT: A
French: B

I'm willing to work very hard in A level... are these GCSE grades acceptable?
I done most of my gcse's now and i roughly know what i got depending on the difficulty of the exam :3

Scroll to see replies

They are great results! But knowing TSR some people will say its not..however the majority of them lie anyway :smile: Btw A-levels matter way more than GCSE grades so it shouldn't matter anyway.

Im planning to do the same thing as you, which is to work hard in A-levels!
Original post by Angelo12231
English lang: B
English Lit: A*
Mathematics: A

I done most of my gcse's now and i roughly know what i got depending on the difficulty of the exam :3

Those results are fine for most unis, but you'll want to apply to unis that focus more on A levels and possible UKCAT and BMAT.

You have to ask yourself a question, though. Did you struggle a lot to get those results? Or were you just not as interested in some subjects? A levels are a lot harder than GCSEs, and you'll be expected to have done some sort of long term work experience in a caring environment along with your A levels, so make sure that you're capable of handling the work load.

Hope this helped :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
My only concern would be the lack of triple science. However this will only be a problem for certain Unis. If you're dedicated, you'll be fine.
Reply 4
Original post by RayApparently
My only concern would be the lack of triple science. However this will only be a problem for certain Unis. If you're dedicated, you'll be fine.

English lang: B
English Lit: A*
Mathematics: A

They're fine don't worry! On another note how the hell did you manage to do better in additional science than core science?!
Original post by Grabbitar
They're fine don't worry! On another note how the hell did you manage to do better in additional science than core science?!

I heard it's quite tough to do medicine - I know someone who couldn't get into his favored Universities, even with A grades at A level.

Overall, they are great grades! Triple science isn't of a big deal - so Long as you do well in the rest, it doesn't matter!

:biggrin:
Original post by Kevinsworld
I heard it's quite tough to do medicine - I know someone who couldn't get into his favored Universities, even with A grades at A level.

Overall, they are great grades! Triple science isn't of a big deal - so Long as you do well in the rest, it doesn't matter!

:biggrin:

i do triple science LOL 'applied' is the 3rd... maybe cuz im doing edexcel triple it sounds different
Original post by hoilamhoilam
Those results are fine for most unis, but you'll want to apply to unis that focus more on A levels and possible UKCAT and BMAT.

You have to ask yourself a question, though. Did you struggle a lot to get those results? Or were you just not as interested in some subjects? A levels are a lot harder than GCSEs, and you'll be expected to have done some sort of long term work experience in a caring environment along with your A levels, so make sure that you're capable of handling the work load.

Hope this helped :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hate a lot of the subjects im doing... i can't wait till A level cuz at least il be doing something i enjoy... and yes i have something in mind for work experience and a few other tricks up my sleeve that i will not be sharing XD. Im just talking academics here :3 does it look like i struggled? :rolleyes:
i do triple science LOL 'applied' is the 3rd... maybe cuz im doing edexcel triple it sounds different

My mistake, I forgot about the alternate pathway (I was thinking of Bio, Phy, Chem - in my school Core + Additional is the secondary option and Applied isn't offered.)

Well that does away with the only fault I could see haha, good luck with you ambitions!
My mistake, I forgot about the alternate pathway (I was thinking of Bio, Phy, Chem - in my school Core + Additional is the secondary option and Applied isn't offered.)

Well that does away with the only fault I could see haha, good luck with you ambitions!

:biggrin: thanks!!
Make sure you look at the criteria different med schools use to short list candidates. Avoid those that focus on GCSEs as (compared to many medicine applicants) yours are relatively poor.
I hate a lot of the subjects im doing... i can't wait till A level cuz at least il be doing something i enjoy... and yes i have something in mind for work experience and a few other tricks up my sleeve that i will not be sharing XD. Im just talking academics here :3 does it look like i struggled? :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be able to tell from your results if you did struggle, but I know quite a few people who had mostly A*s with a few As who struggled in A level. What I meant previously was that you will probably have less time to study during A levels if you're unused to the workload, and having to balance work experience with studies, so if you had to work really hard for your GCSES, you may want to prepare yourself for A levels during the summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hoilamhoilam
I wouldn't be able to tell from your results if you did struggle, but I know quite a few people who had mostly A*s with a few As who struggled in A level. What I meant previously was that you will probably have less time to study during A levels if you're unused to the workload, and having to balance work experience with studies, so if you had to work really hard for your GCSES, you may want to prepare yourself for A levels during the summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand... i wouldn't particularly say i tried hard... i would say i tried moderate as everyone else cause obviously one must revise anyway. I believe i can cope, I've done it before during work experience but of course more difficult challenges will rise, i think the worst case for me would be if i wasn't aware of the difficulty in which case it would be like taking a punch in the stomach. So, i look forward to preparing myself very effectively for A level. and work experience long term :smile: I mean work experience will only take up a couple of hours a week if its long term, and i doubt that'll have a big impact on the time i have for studytaking in mind that i would most likely be studying all the time
If you want to get into a uni such as oxford or cambridge, they're looking for 7 A*'s.
But I consider other russel group universities will accept you however, they mostly look at A-levels.
Original post by Bloom77
If you want to get into a uni such as oxford or cambridge, they're looking for 7 A*'s.
But I consider other russel group universities will accept you however, they mostly look at A-levels.

yeah i think its too late to get 7A* :3 done about 6 of my gcses already and i prob got 2A*'s and 4 A's now so thats not gonna happen. IM just looking to get like the generic standard gcse requirement for most russels and then smash my A levels
great results youll be fine.Work hard in alevel and youll go far in life(hopefully)
English language is so important, should really be an A. Universities like Nottingham require at least a B in language so you should be okay. Those grades aren't anything special and it's probably below average for the normal medical student but if you do a lot of voluntary work, good in your A levels and do decent in the UKCAT/BMAT then you can always get in.
Those are decent results
You'll need to be realistic regarding where you apply. You have great results but they're probably 'average' for medical applicants. What you need to do is focus on your A-levels, UKCAT and/or BMAT and apply smart. Look at admissions threads from previous years and try to gauge which universities give more weight to GCSEs, and then cross them off your list.

When it comes to Medical School, for most applicants it's not about which Medical School you want to go to, it's about which Medical School will have you.
Reply 19
they arent bad but neither are they amazing... luckily they dont have to be amazing tho. the B in eng is a bit of a problem cos everywhere wants good maths, eng, sciences.

but remember academics only play a certain role in applying for medicine... you need to do some care work (obvs) but if you show other social stuff (ie sport) then it shows you can communicate and dont just sit in your room reading text books. social hermits wont make brilliant doctors

Quick Reply

Latest